Debunking myths of elite learning (1 Viewer)

Left-ism

HSC
Mambomeg said:
you are arguing as though women are a minority group, we are not, and we do not dererve to be treated like one. Women and asians are two entirely separate groups, and cannot be compared, as they have completely separate issues. Half of the world is female, everyone is either female or male, not everyone is asian.

haha, half the world is asian too!

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
clairegirl said:
Because i think its a waste of time arguing, it's H-O-L-I-D-A-Y-S plus Mambomeg is doing a great job that i can't be bothered doing!! :D GO MAMBOMEG!!.. hehehe....

and your such a hyprocrit... you say i need evidentiary support when you don't provide any either ... JEEZ!! It just shits me because Phanaticals "references" are not relevant or barely supportive to his argument at all, the references he uses, he takes them at face value... uni is about learning to critically evaluate all sorts of texts, i've done a lot of arts + commerce type subjects and all of the arts subjects are designed for you to synthesise all the information (on a particular subject) and eventually lead to your own theories/thesis... not to just acccept all ideologies and regurgitate the information like the HSC
Name one reference which I have taken at face value.

The only person who has disagreed with me, who has argued her point well, and backed her statements up with evidence, has been Sarah.

Last edited:

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
Phanatical said:
You'll notice that the overwhelming majority of the subjects in this particular Major study are still focused on women, with the exception of WMST2009. Considering that WMST2009 is only 8cp out of the 64cp required for a major in Gender Studies, it suggests to me the bias remains. I'd also like to know exactly how many male candidates there are in this particular Major study.
I'm male. I take Gender Studies.

Phanatical said:
You'll notice that the overwhelming majority of the subjects in this particular Major study are still focused on women, with the exception of WMST2009. Considering that WMST2009 is only 8cp out of the 64cp required for a major in Gender Studies, it suggests to me the bias remains. I'd also like to know exactly how many male candidates there are in this particular Major study.
While some units focus on women, there is certainly no strict regiment suggesting you must hold feminist ideals. The units are highly open to critical analysis, and it highly acceptable to intelligently challenge the arguments of feminist writers.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Nevertheless, the bias still remains. Right about now, I'd quote a source which I was reading not that long ago, describing how male students have been discriminated against in Gender/Women's Studies at other universities, except I can't remember where I found the source.

Also, I'm betting that you're not taking all 64 credit points of a Gender Studies Major.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Phanatical said:
You'll notice that the overwhelming majority of the subjects in this particular Major study are still focused on women, with the exception of WMST2009. Considering that WMST2009 is only 8cp out of the 64cp required for a major in Gender Studies, it suggests to me the bias remains.
Phanatical here's a course descriptor of some of the subjects from the insitutute of women's studies at macquarie university (Handbook 2004). Theres A LOT more to it than that mate

WST110 - Gender Issues in the Contemporary Context
Gender Issues in the Contemporary Context offers an introductory look at Women's studies and Gender Studies. Lecturers from departments throughout Macquarie contribute to this interdisciplinary unit: from Anthropology, Critical and Cultural Studies, Education, History (Ancient and Modern), Human Goegraphy, Law, Media, Philosophy and Politics, as well as from the Institute for Women's Studies itself. Lecturers focus on a particular aspect of the study of gender in their own discipline. Topics convered include differences between first, second and third wave feminisms; the politics of the body and appearance; legal regulations of transgender people; psychological and philosophical meanings of oppression; contemporary forms of masculinity and queer theory; cultural analysis of misogny and rape, female genital mutilation, war and peace, representations of gender in first world war propaganda and in more recent conflicts; gender relations in ancient Athens; gender, space and the lure of suburbia, recent conflicts and exchanges between aboriginal women and white feminists, and more

WST210 Reading Gender in Everyday Life
This unit examines how gender functions in our lives, by examining a range of cultural texts and practices that reproduce ideas of masculinity and feminity. We look closely at different theoretical discussions of how we become a gendered subject in the West, and how our sexually differentiated identities may be played out or performed in work and play. While we consider everyday topics like shopping, eating, thinking about getting married, a particular focus in this uni is on building theories of gender in response to the writing of Freud and Foucault.

WST310 The Popular Culture of Resistance

The popular Culture of Resistance offers a study of notions of resistance, opposition and sexual differences from a range of philosophical and political perspectives. Examples are taken from contemporary popular culture in Australia.

We look at men and women in Australian prisons; the Pauline Hanson movement and the gun lobby in Australia; the apparent decline of unionism and the rise of new anti-capitalist protests; the changing dynamics of home and work; the evolution of youth subcultures and counterculutres; the gendered resistance of young urban Aborigines; as well as questions of incorporation and resistance in relation to mainstream commodities such as Barbie dolls and computer games.

An intellectual focus throughout the unit is on symbolic oppositions and the possibility of their transformation. We consider the conceptual frameworks of Marxist dialectics, semiotics, deconstructio, feminist and queer theory for ways of thinking about this possibility.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
Phanatical said:
Nevertheless, the bias still remains. Right about now, I'd quote a source which I was reading not that long ago, describing how male students have been discriminated against in Gender/Women's Studies at other universities, except I can't remember where I found the source.

Also, I'm betting that you're not taking all 64 credit points of a Gender Studies Major.
Why would I take 64 credit points? I only need 32 for my major. Although I don't particularly see why that is relevant.

Regardless, I'm not particularly keen to get involved in this debate. I was just pointing our some fundamental errors in your ramblings.

I just want to say - it annoys me how you try and turn topics into something that you want to argue about. You seem to love flaunting your own "knowledge". Maybe you should come back down to Earth one day?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
These are issues of importance, which will have a profound impact on the lives of young men.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
snakeoils said:
Why would I take 64 credit points? I only need 32 for my major. Although I don't particularly see why that is relevant.

Regardless, I'm not particularly keen to get involved in this debate. I was just pointing our some fundamental errors in your ramblings.

I just want to say - it annoys me how you try and turn topics into something that you want to argue about. You seem to love flaunting your own "knowledge". Maybe you should come back down to Earth one day?
I knoww there's just something about the way phanatical argues that just annoys me

i dont really want to get into this debate either... It takes up soo much time ... i certainly don't plan on spending my holidays digging up references n replying to every single post on here... but I'll be back whenever I can to check on this "debate" n try to contribute whenever i can be bothered or if phanatical gets on my nerves again, whatever motivates me first...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I think the thing that annoys you is that I'm right. It's a debate that's not very often aired, since it's so politically incorrect to criticise the feminist and feminazi movements, and the fact that you can't come up with logical rebuttal to the arguments of a lowly music student is annoying you.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
Ha. Haha.

Ha.

If you say so, dear.

Do you compose music for brass instruments? You seem to like blowing your own horn.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Phanatical said:
I think the thing that annoys you is that I'm right. It's a debate that's not very often aired, since it's so politically incorrect to criticise the feminist and feminazi movements, and the fact that you can't come up with logical rebuttal to the arguments of a lowly music student is annoying you.
I think your new nick should be C-O-N-F-I-D-E-N-C-E

your attempts at provokation...= laughable... (might've worked except i wanna go play sims 2 before i go sleep)

lowly music student? when have i ever implied that people who do music are "lowly"? I do an A.P.S arts degree, i've cut a lot of shit from everyone for doing arts-psychology instead of choosing commerce or all the other more structured degrees, so don't assume shit phanatical

Your the one who said it and you bring it up all the time, i think your the one with the issues

Last edited:

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
phanatical, have you ever sat in a women's/gender studies class? because by the sound of it, you most certainly have not. to stereotype feminists as uniform group is very wrong, because there are different types of feminisms out there, with different emphasis on certain issues.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
Carrying on for that...

I would never consider music students lowly.

My stepmother teaches at the Con. She'd kill me if I ever said that.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
mic said:
phanatical, have you ever sat in a women's/gender studies class? because by the sound of it, you most certainly have not. to stereotype feminists as uniform group is very wrong, because there are different types of feminisms out there, with different emphasis on certain issues.
I realise this. I've made my best attempt to distinguish between the feminist who fights for equal rights for women, and understands that men's rights must also be protected (since men's rights are human rights too, and if one gender is disadvantaged, the other also suffers for it); and the feminazi, which is where my criticisms lie. The feminazi runs the SRC Women's Office (Isobelle Barrett Mayering, and Rose Jackson before her). The feminazi runs the Union's Women's Office (Hannah Diddams, Jenny Willams).

I quote things like the SCUM manifesto as inspiration for these feminazis because that IS their inspiration. Just look at the Honi Femme. Just look at the UR Women's Edition. The difference between Masculists and something like the Father's Manifesto, and the Feminazi and something like the SCUM Manifesto, is that while (a Majority of) Masculists don't put credibility into the Father's Manifesto, the Feminazi put Lots of credibility into the SCUM Manifesto. This is evidenced by the writings of our own colleagues within the student body and THAT is where my criticism lies.

Men, especially Young Men, MUST stand up for their rights, because they ARE slowly eroding away at the hands of the feminazi cause. Already young men are being brought up in a world where masculinity is frowned upon, and I fear that it'll be even worse by the time our children enter school.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
Phanatical honeypie... I'm all for you expressing your opinions... but be careful with the name dropping - do you really want to foot a bill for libel?

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Phanatical said:
I realise this. I've made my best attempt to distinguish between the feminist who fights for equal rights for women, and understands that men's rights must also be protected (since men's rights are human rights too, and if one gender is disadvantaged, the other also suffers for it); and the feminazi, which is where my criticisms lie. The feminazi runs the SRC Women's Office (Isobelle Barrett Mayering, and Rose Jackson before her). The feminazi runs the Union's Women's Office (Hannah Diddams, Jenny Willams).

I quote things like the SCUM manifesto as inspiration for these feminazis because that IS their inspiration. Just look at the Honi Femme. Just look at the UR Women's Edition. The difference between Masculists and something like the Father's Manifesto, and the Feminazi and something like the SCUM Manifesto, is that while (a Majority of) Masculists don't put credibility into the Father's Manifesto, the Feminazi put Lots of credibility into the SCUM Manifesto. This is evidenced by the writings of our own colleagues within the student body and THAT is where my criticism lies.

Men, especially Young Men, MUST stand up for their rights, because they ARE slowly eroding away at the hands of the feminazi cause. Already young men are being brought up in a world where masculinity is frowned upon, and I fear that it'll be even worse by the time our children enter school.
Did you even bother to hear something else but your own voice during this whole "debate"?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Of course I did. That's why I countered every single argument you and the other posters had put to me. I don't Think I missed any, but please correct me if I am mistaken.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Phanatical said:
Of course I did. That's why I countered every single argument you and the other posters had put to me. I don't Think I missed any, but please correct me if I am mistaken.
Counter??? lol no u didn't!! u just assumed since you added "evidence" to your argument that you were right LOL

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
I haven't read this whole thread but I find the premise of the article offensive.
To think that the end goal of secondary education is a high UAI is ridiculous.
Parents send kids to private schools because they believe that they have better facilities to allow for a well-rounded education.
Private schools (in most cases) have better music programs, better sporting facilities and a lot of the time better teachers.
The aim of the english Public schools such as Eton, Harrow and Rugby on which my school's ethos was founded is to provide a well-rounded education. One with adequate physical and mental activity as well as providing sufficient pastoral care.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)