decent small car? (1 Viewer)

SipSip

HSC
N/A
small cars don't drink up much petrol anyway, try having a 3.5 and you're realli in the shits...changed car now...2.4 ^^

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
*~Dazed~* said:
ok im sorry. I realise there are heaps of car threads but this isnt asking what you want/what you drive (unless small and hence relevant to me)...

So what are some good small cars? Im still on my l's but my dad thinks i should start looking around to get a bit of an idea of what i want, price, deals etc so that when it comes to get my p's i can get one. So Any suggestions?

Ive heard barinas and excels arent that great which is a pity cause they are a relatively decent price...

I don't know about Barinas, but Excels aren't bad. A mate of mine drives one and it goes pretty well. I don't know how well. it would fare in a crash, but the car ain't too tough, much like most new small cars.

They're good for rallying and cornering by the way

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Asquithian said:
yeah well older cars are generally not very safe...

I beg to differ, I'd rather be in my older car then in a new car of the same size if I were in a crash. Older cars may not have air bags but some of them, like mine, are pretty tough and can take a beating. You kick some of these new cars and the door nearly caves in.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
well according to the dealer.. cause i started looking around today you should avoid getting any hyundai or daewoo (and yes they had them there too so it wasnt because he tried to smell me something different)... apparently korean cars are shit and they are both korean.. opt for japanese or something..

whats holden? why did i think it was aussie? is it aussie?

say you had a choice... barina or charade???? because i havent heard much about daihatsu's quality

its better to buy from a private sale isnt it?

lengstar

HSC
Enlightened_One said:
I beg to differ, I'd rather be in my older car then in a new car of the same size if I were in a crash. Older cars may not have air bags but some of them, like mine, are pretty tough and can take a beating. You kick some of these new cars and the door nearly caves in.
until you hit a tree or something solid sending your head flying forward while your body's tied to the seat ( assuming your wearing a seat belt ) and snapping your neck like a twig.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Just play it safe. If you crash, you crash. Shit tends to happen. I just hope that my Getz doesn't collapse in a heap in the event of a smash. It was bought new, though, so it's kind of beyond your price range, so yeah, I'll stop now.

lengstar

HSC
getz are pretty good if you can afford it but even though i have a preference for toyotas the honda jazz is really good value if you can afford it

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Enlightened_One said:
Toughness of the material does not necessarily mean it's better in crashes...my dad's friend owns a chain of smash repairs and he said that most often than not, the toughness of the car's material does not define the safety, since that in crashes, the effects done to the car is different than just a kick...
like a crumple zone, older cars with realli tough material might just snap...

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
i hav a 2003 toyota echo

bought it last yr for 15K brand new

its pretty good

Bundybabe

The best cheap second hand car i reckon is a toyota corolla the older ones. Not so old that parts for it are non existent but not so new that the price is huge. Toyota's ya can flog em to death.
(Hence wen my 85 corolla dies then i'm gettin a toyota crusier)

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Toyotas are cheap and economic, and yes you can thrash them...but one thing that the engine lacks is a little bit of umph! I mean the engine is kinda boring, this is coming from a car lovers point of view, so although most people will not think about it...i kinda do when i drive a car.

BMW's on the other hand have great engines...try to get one of those second hand ones, they are quite cheap if you shop around. And if you have the money, get a new one, they are awesome to drive...

Audi's are not as good though...they boast how smooth their engine is...but it's just another word for slow reactions....slowest drive ever..

SprewellZ

Price range please.

If it is sub 5k, Id strongly suggest a Ae82 or Ae92 Corolla. The 4AGE engined ones will serve you well as they are pretty reliable and have good guts as well.

The red top 4AGE will be even better. Pulls 2nds, 3rds and if you're lucky 4ths lol

If new first car, can't go past an Accent or a Getz. You might also want to try picking up one with low k's which can cut a couple of grand of new car price. We picked up a 02 model Accent in Feb 03 with 6000kms on the clock, and 5k off new car price, made a healthy profit off that after wards.

But yea, its hard to suggest much without knowing what you are after :)

SprewellZ

SipSip said:
Toyotas are cheap and economic, and yes you can thrash them...but one thing that the engine lacks is a little bit of umph! I mean the engine is kinda boring, this is coming from a car lovers point of view, so although most people will not think about it...i kinda do when i drive a car.

BMW's on the other hand have great engines...try to get one of those second hand ones, they are quite cheap if you shop around. And if you have the money, get a new one, they are awesome to drive...

Audi's are not as good though...they boast how smooth their engine is...but it's just another word for slow reactions....slowest drive ever..
If you have the cash to buy one, remember, you'll also need the cash to maintain one.

If you meet these criteria, I can direct you at a very nice Jet Black E36 325i coupe, Full baby blue M3 interior, Full M3 kit, 18" Altstadt rims, lowered, Remus exhaust, Great stereo with Kenwood touch screen (worth $6 k on its own.)

SprewellZ

*~Dazed~* said:
well according to the dealer.. cause i started looking around today you should avoid getting any hyundai or daewoo (and yes they had them there too so it wasnt because he tried to smell me something different)... apparently korean cars are shit and they are both korean.. opt for japanese or something..

whats holden? why did i think it was aussie? is it aussie?

say you had a choice... barina or charade???? because i havent heard much about daihatsu's quality

its better to buy from a private sale isnt it?
If you buy from private sales, be prepared to get it checked out thouroughly, but yes, you will save more this way as dealerships are only looking to rip you a new asshole.

Barina's are not made in Australia, but Spain.

None of Holden's small cars are made in Australia.

You'd be stupid to avoid Hyundai becasue someone told you it was shit. Build quality on the Accent has improved oh so much. Roomy cars, go well, no problems, only problem I had once we bought one was getting a new clutch. But that was only because the car was abused very badly by myself.

Korean cars have improved very much so, you'd be a fool not to give them a try. Have a look at the new Daewoo as well. Under GMownership, drastic changes have been made.

Now for Barina vs. Charade.

The new Charade is a pile of shit. Go the Barina.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
SprewellZ said:
If you have the cash to buy one, remember, you'll also need the cash to maintain one.

If you meet these criteria, I can direct you at a very nice Jet Black E36 325i coupe, Full baby blue M3 interior, Full M3 kit, 18" Altstadt rims, lowered, Remus exhaust, Great stereo with Kenwood touch screen (worth $6 k on its own.)
For how much? I'm actually looking for a 330i, since that coupes are too flashy...I've tried so many different cars and yeah, to be honest, audis and mercs are entirely out sicne that they are crap...
Looking to change to a 350Z though, they are cheap second hand nowdays.

SprewellZ

350Z?

They don't go too well, but top handling I must say.

This 325 is a 6 cylinder which has been chipped and dyno tuned, with a dyno reading of 117kw at the wheels.

It is selling for 30k negotiable.

I can try posting some pics up.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
SprewellZ said:
350Z?

They don't go too well, but top handling I must say.

This 325 is a 6 cylinder which has been chipped and dyno tuned, with a dyno reading of 117kw at the wheels.

It is selling for 30k negotiable.

I can try posting some pics up.
I'm asuming it's not the current E46 look models right?

350Z goes alright, i reckon i just like the look of it...i mean i don't like flash, but when i want flash i go for the best... ^.^

Rx-8 looks good, but i don't want to pay such high petrol...i mean i drive to uni and it's hell trying to pay for petrol...

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
I believe "Dazed" was originally after a small reliable car.
I suggest a corolla or civic

As long as he doesnt join the superficial modification idiots that get a muffler, spoiler, bodykit and sound system.
Sorry to say fellaz... it may look good, but you're still a bunch of fool's.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Atotoi said:

As long as he doesnt join the superficial modification idiots that get a muffler, spoiler, bodykit and sound system.
i am sure "HE" won't join that cult.....

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Atotoi said:

You mean rice machines?? Some actually look quite good...but i don't like it when people put stickers and stuff on it....stickers don't tend to make cars go faster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)