Decision making process in Geo? (1 Viewer)

Iq

HSC
Hey

I was reading the syllabus for Geography and in Focus Area 5A3 I found something to do with decision making.

This is my question

Can someone please explain what they mean when they refer to this:

"Explain how the decision making process involved has addressed the issue and describe the decision making process."

The "issue" refers to those such as (found in syllabus):

• land management
• waste management
• biodiversity
• urban growth and decline
• water management
• spatial inequality
• air quality
• population change
• coastal management
• tourism

I chose to do land management and population change.

If anyone has notes regarding these contemporary geographical issues, could they please share as it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
iq

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
From what I remember from last year (I did "coastal management" and "urban growth and decline" at school though, but the decision making process should be the same), here are just a few points:
- to ensure social justice and equity, all perspectives need to be considered before development applications (DA) can be approved
- conflicting views of stakeholders much be resolved and decisions made by informed and aware citizens, based on info from reliable sources ie. governments, scientists, responsible media reports
- different groups including gov, uni professors, scientists, environmental groups, home property owners (the last two might not apply to population change, but they do to my topics and to land management :p) need to be consulted about structural intervention eg. when things are done to properties, demolished for example
- Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) must be prepared to show the likely impacts on the physical environment as well as social/economical impacts, before a decision is made
- the results of a decision are distributed, and interest groups ie. all gov levels, business, recreation, [you add more :p] should be invited to respond
- and lastly, stakeholders can attempt to influencec the decisions of gov by:
= protests
= rally
= demonstrations
= lobbying politicians/writing to local MP
= action groups
= petitions
But you can think of more methods than just these :)

There should be more points though, but that's all I can remember now :p Hope it helped :)

topdeck

HSC
I didn't do land management as a focus study, but i would imagine you would mention some stuff about consultation with aboriginal communtiies perhaps? like consulting aboriginals before development, using indigenous bushfire management methods?
We did a little bit on descision making at the beginning of the year and these were part of the notes i had..

1. Evaluate th environmental impact of a strategy
2. Economic an social impact of a tragtegy (is it sustainable?)
3. Strategies should try to prevent any harm to the environemnt
4. Will the strategy contribute to global environmental problems?
5. A strategy should promote community envolvement.

I don't know if any of this helps, but good luck all the same

Iq

HSC
Hey kujah, Your notes were pretty helpful as it outlined all the issues. Thanks!

I sort of understand the decision making process, but I'll ask my teacher but I doubt it'll make a difference.

I read something about legislation and governemnts. Ill do a little more research and post anything else I find here.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me.

If anyone else can help please feel free to.

Thanks
Iq

Iq

HSC
Hey I found a similar question which requires this issue:

2005 SCT Geograpgy...question 24 on the long response page 19

Does anyone have their response to this question?

Thanks
Iq

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)