Deep Spec. Fiction (1 Viewer)

TAZ33

HSC
Besides HP and dan browns books, i recommend reading the handmaids tale by margaret atwood

If u have read it then what did u think of it?

btw. this is another one of those books which have been adapted into a movie, although i havent seen it.

nwatts

HSC
Yes, The Handmaid's Tale is excellent. I normally despite feminist literature, but this was a clear exception, probably because Atwood is such a good writer. I'm an insane Michael Ondaatje fan, and I find their writing quite similar, the same poetic style, but very different subject matter. Incredibly rich language. Two excellent writers. The only two decent things to come from Canada.

Also, Atwood's The Blind Assassin is very good. Probably better for those who aren't familiar with her writing to start with this, as it's slightly more conventional and easier to follow than The Handmaid's Tale.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
For great speculative fiction, I highly recommend Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials. Utterly compulsive reading.

I_F

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
the handmaids tale is excellent, i love it. i'm reading it again at the moment. for those who have read it, do we actually ever find out offred's real name, like did i miss it the firts time or something? i swear i read somewhere that it is revealed but i cant find it... but yeah, great book.

TAZ33

HSC
unfortunately we dont find it out, that is unless its revealed indirectly in the historical notes => i found parts of this section a little ambiguous.

what i loved was the mountainous pile of biblical allusions embedded within the text, along with some of the feminist history.

atwood sure knows how to get the sceptics happy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)