• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Defering medicine (1 Viewer)

Zali

HSC
I'm going to england for a gap year next year and want to study med when I get back. Im applying for all uni's this year n hoping to defer for a year. If i get an interview should I tell them that i want to defer, what will they think of this:

a) thats great shel have lots of experiences and develop independence (and offer me a place)

OR

b) why are u wasting our time this year (and not offer me a place)

What are your thoughts has any1 defered med or looking at doing it

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
dun tell them ure not required to..

if u tell them.. ure digging a hole for more questionin in that line..

tell them after u get a place

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeah dont waste tome talking about that and even if they ask just be honest and I'm sure they'll credit you for it if you have a valid reason...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It depends which school is interviewing, and what your plans are. Newcastle, for example, make explicit provision for deferral in cases where the faculty believes that a student will "broaden their life experiences" (see their prospectus).

If you DO mention it, you should do so for the right reasons. Make sure you are able to talk about it - your reasons, your plans and your reflections on the decision. Make sure also that what you say reflects the maturity you needed to come to the decision.

Zali

HSC
Thanks. I think i can make my reasons for defering sound good but il only mention it if they ask :)

Kezmedfcuk

Zali:

I deferred my med place last year, and I would suggest not mentioning it in the interview. Just do it after you get in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)