Deferring HSC (Pathways) (1 Viewer)

bassistx

HSC
Anybody else doing Pathways?
To do my HSC Spanish Beginners (distance-ed) next year, I have to be enrolled as a studnet in either TAFE or high school. So I've deferred my Italian Continuers course for next year. I'll still be attending most of the classes though so I don't forget the langauge etc.
But this means that I have 8 units this year and 4 next year. A lot easier and plus, I don't have school on Wednesdays.
That's all I've ever wanted - to go to school 4 days a week with a break in between. Wish granted :D
I finish school at 12:20 on Wednesdays anyway though. I don't have class 8:45-9:30 but that's a study period for Spanish (ie sleep in). Then I just have two 75min lessons of Italian.
So if I have assessments etc coming up, I don't have to go to school on Wednesdays :D
I'd rather take my HSC slower and get better marks than spend a year in uni doing a course I don't wanna do and blowing $20K so then I can change courses/transfer.
And this really gives me a chance to improve my LOTE which means I won't be taking a BA anymore.
I set my heart on Environmental Law a year back. I changed my mind to something easier (teaching LOTE). But they say that you should go with your intuition. I've kicked myself so many times over multiple-choice questions when I choose the right answer then panicked and change it. I'm not going to make a mistake this time. Environmental Law, that's what I'm gonna do :)
The reason why I picked up Spanish (to delay my my HSC) is because my parents won't sign off my uni forms (enrollment/accommodation/etc). I want to go to ANU (interstate) and they don't want me to. So basically I have to wait until I'm 18 to go to uni anyway and I thought I'd use that time to learn another LOTE and for extra security (because I had only 10 units). I could apply for 2nd semester (uni) but it's a lot more expensive and I wouldn't be able to afford to move out to begin with.

Story of my life.

beentherdunthat

HSC
Hey i done pathways but i started when i was in yr 11. You're in yr 12 now?

bassistx

HSC
Yes, I'm in year 12 this year and will be next year as well, I suppose.

LenaSaturn

Cheese worshiper
Sydney, NSW, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth
HSC
yeah I know about pathways. I am currently doing my 2nd yr of it, last yr I did chemistry, biology, advanced english & ceramics. Now I am doing 2uinit maths, ext 1 maths & woodwork.

I ended up doing it 'cause I was doing woodwork in yr 11 through distance ed & I was suffering from panic attacks in maths. But I am fine with it I only turned 18 this year so I was one of the youngest in my year & it is better than failing maths :D

So your just doing your hsc over 2 yrs?

bassistx

HSC
Yup, 2 years.
In my sig it says my subjects for next year haha :)
I wish I'd started earlier though.

EDIT: I don't turn 18 until next year.

Megson

HSC
I never intended to do Pathways but here I am doing it. Last year I got really sick just before the trials and ended up in hospital for a while during the trials, and then spent the next couple of months mostly in bed.

Hence because I missed the trials and one assessment after that for physics, chem and bio, I couldn't get an assessed mark since I had not completed 50% of the assessment. So I'm back at school to do them again this year but I got an assessed mark for Maths, Maths Ext. and English last year.

But it works for me anyway cause there is noooo way I could be at uni this year, as I'm still not very well, so this is a nice easy year for me, since I'd already finished all the coursework last year. And a chance to improve my marks maybe.

.x.Cookie.x.

HSC
A kid at my school was doing pathways, at the end of the year he somehow ended up with the HSC certificate for all of it before completing this year. Major fuck up there. The school was glad though, they didn't want him back. Although he has to come to our graduation because he wasn't allowed to go last year.

bassistx

HSC
^
WTF? That's so freaking stupid.
So he got the certificate but didn't graduate?

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
.x.Cookie.x. said:
A kid at my school was doing pathways, at the end of the year he somehow ended up with the HSC certificate for all of it before completing this year. Major fuck up there. The school was glad though, they didn't want him back. Although he has to come to our graduation because he wasn't allowed to go last year.
that's so weird, it wouldnt be valid o_O
i did pathways & at the end of each year you get a HSC record of acheivement certificate with the course you've done so far, but your HSC is not complete until you've fullfilled 10 units of acheivement.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
bassistx said:
The reason why I picked up Spanish (to delay my my HSC) is because my parents won't sign off my uni forms (enrollment/accommodation/etc).
ROFL

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
I have a friend doing pathways because she does so much sport that she is hardly ever at school so she is doing 3 subjects this year and is trying to get a scholarship to go a sydney sports highschool next year to complete the rest of her HSC while living closer to all her training camps and stuff.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Sometimes I wonder if I should/can repeat y12 and get like 98+ UAI lawl.

bassistx

HSC
You can repeat through TAFE.
If you do Pathways, you can repeat your subjects at school.

bassistx

HSC
bassistx said:
I'm not going to make a mistake this time. Environmental Law, that's what I'm gonna do :)
I'm so stupid. (ie changed my mind again)
Ignore what I said before lol.

meeggles

HSC
Doing HSC over two or more years..

Anyone doing it or know of someone who is or has already?

teachers at my school want me to do it because of the amount of time i have to have off with chronic fatigue syndrome and stuff but they haven't really explained it to me properly.
pretty much what i want to know is am i able to do it (or atleast the second year) by correspondence?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Re: Doing HSC over two or more years..

bassistx.

bassistx

HSC
Re: Doing HSC over two or more years..

meeggles said:
Anyone doing it or know of someone who is or has already?

teachers at my school want me to do it because of the amount of time i have to have off with chronic fatigue syndrome and stuff but they haven't really explained it to me properly.
pretty much what i want to know is am i able to do it (or atleast the second year) by correspondence?
If you have medical reasons or timetamble clashes, you may apply through SDEHS.
I don't know if you live in Sydney or not, but here's a list of the courses they offer. If you want to do a language, you'll have to apply through another distance-ed centre such as Open High School.
Hope that helps. Talk to your careers adviser about this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)