Deferring Uni to Work (1 Viewer)

Nikkay75

Flashbackk
HSC
I was half forced by my parents into taking a year off to work and earn some money. They claim it is an opportunity to mature and live more indepedently. I originally thought this idea had some merit and decided I would do it. Recently I have discovered almost every friend is leaving my area to go to university. I really regret deferring from uni!

Can anyone else relate?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
can't relate myself, but taking a gap year is pretty common

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I wish I'd taken a gap year tbh. Then again my degree is 5 years long so maybe not.

But I do sometimes think I might enjoy uni more if I'd taken some time off from study to do something else even if it was just working.

Go for it, one year is really nothing in the scheme of your life and you'll have money and experience etc to show for it.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
nah gap year is the best i love my job
hsc 09!@

madsam

God among men
HSC
By all your logic, why not take a gap year at the end of your degree? If your plan is to work during your gap year, you'll earn more and in a career that will help your life, and if you plan on travelling, do it then when you have matured a bit

SpoonSamba

HSC
By all your logic, why not take a gap year at the end of your degree? If your plan is to work during your gap year, you'll earn more and in a career that will help your life, and if you plan on travelling, do it then when you have matured a bit
taking a gap year to work at the end of your degree? I'm pretty sure thats not a gap year its just a job...

I didn't take a gap year but lots of people i know did, and they have alot more money than me and uni tends to take a toll on your bank balance so just look at the bright side. If you're bored shitless you might be able to enter mid year

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
Gap Year FTW... Once you actually find work.
yeah haha
lucky i did yay.

im also studying part time at tafe, so that i have some background knowledge for when i finally do go to uni

HSC
i took a gap year, the only thing i really regret about it is that i didnt work/take up activities/see my friends as much as i had hoped, so it ended up seeming a waste at times.

moral to the story, make sure you have full-time work or at least a lot to occupy yourself, or you will end up bored shitless pretty quickly.

Nikkay75

Flashbackk
HSC
i took a gap year, the only thing i really regret about it is that i didnt work/take up activities/see my friends as much as i had hoped, so it ended up seeming a waste at times.

moral to the story, make sure you have full-time work or at least a lot to occupy yourself, or you will end up bored shitless pretty quickly.
That's been like the one thing frustrating me. The majority of my close friends are moving away to uni right now. Most people are like go visit them but i'm a solid 2 hours away and it's barely a viable option on like a regular basis.

Freakstyler09

HSC
I was half forced by my parents into taking a year off to work and earn some money. They claim it is an opportunity to mature and live more indepedently. I originally thought this idea had some merit and decided I would do it. Recently I have discovered almost every friend is leaving my area to go to university. I really regret deferring from uni!

Can anyone else relate?
Not a good choice, what if u can't find work, u'll be sitting bored off ur ass at home lols, instead of actually getting a degree

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
That's been like the one thing frustrating me. The majority of my close friends are moving away to uni right now. Most people are like go visit them but i'm a solid 2 hours away and it's barely a viable option on like a regular basis.
Do you have your Ps? Coming up to (I'm assuming) Sydney for a weekend every now and then shouldnt be that hard. Have you considered moving out? I assume you're going to when you start uni anyway?

HSC
yeah see i thought, 'awesome i can see my friends all the time' but since all of them went to uni i only saw them about once a week. and i only live half an hour away from them, not two hours.

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
The only thing that sucks about taking a gap year is coming back to uni and starting to get back into the groove of studying after such an incredibly long lay off. My friend this year is really worried about it since he deferred last year to work.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The only thing that sucks about taking a gap year is coming back to uni and starting to get back into the groove of studying after such an incredibly long lay off. My friend this year is really worried about it since he deferred last year to work.
I'd be worried about this primarily... it's hard to get back into the swing of things. I haven't taken a break from studying since high school and am going through post-grad now just so that I don't need to suffer once I've stopped!

ps. I'd also think twice about the 'seeing your friends' aspect as others have mentioned- if all your mates are going to be at uni, most of the time they'll either be at uni, or be studying/preparing for exams/assignments which will leave you as the odd one out with nothing to do.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
since the census date for "program leave" [as unsw calls it] is march 31st, i'm thinking of taking the year off. i didn't have a job during high school, and right now i don't really have the motivation to do much work. as my degree requires that i maintain a C average on the pain of being demoted to straight arts, i'm beginning to think that i need some time away from this shit. and plus, i need money for when i go on exchange [also mandatory].

idk, just take the time to find out what you really want to do, and during that time you might even find something to fall back on.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
i took a year off and i havent changed mentality wise. If anything im more stupid. I'm finding it hard to get back into good study habits etc.
i never really had good study habits in the first place. for some reason scholastic institutions make me lazy. oh well, each to their own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)