Deferring Uni (1 Viewer)

B35tY

HSC
Hi all. I haven't really used this thread much before, but i was wondering if you could help me.

Well, my HSC finishes this year, and I'm thinking of doing a business course at Macq Uni. I am one year younger than everyone in my grade (i accelerated year 3 in primary school), so i've been thinking of applying for the course and then deferring. I'm not exactly sure how this works, but i read the UAC book, and it said that Macq would allow a one year deferment.

I was thinking of getting a job for a year, saving some cash, and coming back the same age as everyone else. (and able to drink :p).

Has anyone out there deferred for similar reasons as me, or different ones even. Can anyone share some experiences / advice?

Thanks in advance.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
hmmm, well I'm deferring at the moment. I can't get a job so it kinda sucks right now. Once I get a job I'm sure things will start looking up.

Sabbo

HSC
I deferred for a year. Worked and went overseas for 4 months. It was nice to have a break.
Don't regret it one bit. Now I actually enjoy learning something again.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
I'm deferring this year, doing a business admin traineeship just to get some money together to move out of home (2 days to go!) and help to pay for my course..
I didn't have to give any reason or pay any deferment fee..

B35tY

HSC
Thanks everyone for your ideas and experiences...

Anyone else?

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
fleepbasding said:
hmmm, well I'm deferring at the moment. I can't get a job so it kinda sucks right now. Once I get a job I'm sure things will start looking up.
Same........only problem, i have to move to Canberra in August for a 12 week course to get into Canberra Uni...instead of going to Albury to La Trobe (which i have deferred from, just in case i fail this course & cant get into Canberra:mad1: )

So know i need to find a job, that allows me to have easter off & that i can leave in august...also i need wenesday afternoons-nights off too....annoying!

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
thats a little particular... an employer wont want to train up someone who is going to leave in a few months

Peartie

HSC
i deferd for a yea and all my dad had to do was fill in a form and send it back (as i was and am in england) - no costs or anything - that was with UC

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
A few facts:
- If you're thinking about deferring for a 'break' - there's 4 and a bit months between the end of the HSC and the start of uni
- Starting early in your education in an adult learning environment is invaluable
- If you get bored easily and feel like you stagnate unless you're doing something - deferring will be hell.
- And if you can get a scholarship there's no need to worry aout taking a year off to manage the cost of the next few years.

drewbrow1

(Ninja)
HSC
If you're going to defer, at least have a good reason for doing it, like gaining financial independance so you can get dole money when you're at uni. Maybe 5-10% of first years start at 17, it doesn't cause any problems. Uni events are all-ages (in my experience, yours may differ).

Remember that if you defer now, you'll start working a year later so you'll retire after doing one less year's work. For a professional career path, that year could be another $200,000+ for your retirement fund.

elisabeth

HSC
Don't defer just cause you can't start drinking at the bar straight away. However, the financial benefits of deferring could be the deciding factor - but ultimately you know what's best in your situation. I deferred from Sydney Uni for a year and as far as I know, I haven't had to pay anything for it. I'm now living in Germany for a year as an exchange student so when I do go to uni, I'll be able to ace my German subjects. Anyway if you think a year out will be good for you, go for it. The only word of warning I'd give is if you're the type of person who would not be able to get back into study mode after being out of that environment for so long.

§joe§

Gotta love the HSC
HSC
I deffered and am in the UK now. I'm working for a while (till about august) then going for a two month trip around Europe. When ive done that i will probably have blown any money i have saved so i didnt defer for financial gain, i just wanted to travel a bit.
I was the same as you at school as well...extremely young.
I am a bit jelous of all my friends having fun at uni but im having alot of fun as well. i dont know about any defferment fee because they dont confirm your defferment until April and i havnt heard anything yet which is stupid but hey.
So yeah deffer if you want, you will probably have fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)