Define Tutoring? (1 Viewer)

Stan..

HSC
Searched for a thread, couldn't find one. Is tutoring just book bashing? Or is it something else that gets you the marks?

Stan..

HSC
Getting Tutored. Sorry about that, I am just wondering if it is all book bashing or is there meant to be some element of 'actual' teaching in there?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Depends on the tutor.

Some just spoon-feed you. Others genuinely foster self-directed learning (which is ultimately what will get you the marks).

The good tutor is a far more effective teacher than an in-school teacher, if only by virtue of the fact that it is 1-on-1.

rusty_rouge

HSC
Mine's pretty good - I get tutored for maths, and it really helps to have someone explain stuff to you one on one.

Also, she is a teacher, so she gives me heaps of extra exercises, past papers and topic tests etc., which we go through together.

My advice is get a tutor if you're really struggling with a subject, coz they're a more effective teacher. If you're alright at the subject, don't worry about it - odds are you can teach yourself.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Stan.. said:
Searched for a thread, couldn't find one. Is tutoring just book bashing? Or is it something else that gets you the marks?
Probably a bit of both

felafel

ahaha tutoring is often one on one, so it's very intense - you can't fall asleep as you might do in class!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
i had two tutors for english. people kept telling me i didnt need them and techncially I didn't. But i didnt get tutored coz I was struggling..I got tutored so I could get 93+ in 2, 3 and 4 u english.

so if you're struggling, or if ur not struggling and just wanna be pushed up, getting a tutor is great. i have never regreted it. both were awesome and became good friends of mine!

alby

cool duckie
HSC
i had a maths & an english tutor....they were really good
tutoring is a good tool to help you understand the subject & (in the case of english) what the markers expect to see in your answers
tutoring shouldnt be 'book bashing' as you put it...if you get a tutor who's also a teacher in that subject (or has been teaching/tutoring that subject for a number of years in the past), then they'll know what they're on about, & give you guides/clues to help you get the marks

alby

cool duckie
HSC
Trev said:
haha i did english tutoring and i managed to fall asleep =P
like 1 on 1 tutoring? (as in not at 1 of those kip macgrath sorta group things)
didnt your tutor say anything??

shows you the downfalls of staying up late :p

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
alby said:
like 1 on 1 tutoring? (as in not at 1 of those kip macgrath sorta group things)
didnt your tutor say anything??

shows you the downfalls of staying up late :p
i went to kip mcgrath for English tutoring. and i had about 3 ppl in my group cos they especially divide the time and group so that everyone would get the most amount of time.

azn_spirit

...messed up...
HSC
Personally I reckon tutors are a waste of time, some just spoonfeed you stuff you already know, I went to North Shore and I found 90% of the lessons a bloody waste of time, I would so rather save my money and use it on some good books which I can revise and practice the HSC not having to spend so much money on a guy that would tell you stuff you can easily find out after a few times of reading by yourself or just work out yourself. ITs that much of a waste of money, if only i knew before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)