Defining Terms in In The Wild (1 Viewer)

philbert_frog

I was wondering how people are defining terms such as humanity, nature and in the wild for module A.

I am talking specifically in relation to BNW/BR.

Nature is ok - I'm talking about the natural world + the "natural" aspects of humanity - eg. relationships etc... but its specifically humanity which is annoying me, as the BoS Exam Report from the 2001 HSC stated that good responses realised and differentiated between natural and artificial aspects of humanity.

Any ideas?

bex

HSC
argh!! i have no idea wat im doing for BNW/BR im trying to deal with King Lear right now!!

btw are you going out with Tegan?

Morgues

in my understanding humanity refers to mankind

aspects of mankind could include: range of emotions (love/hate), range of conditions (healthy/chronically ill),

we expect mankind to have variations such as physique, emotions, attitudes

we expect mankind as a whole to have morals,conscience and experience joy wonder and love etc

Now that is what humanity naturally is, BNW and BR artificially alter aspects of humanity for example

BNW gets rid of the range of emotions/conditions and variations in physique etc........in other words erradicates individuality

BR's mankind on the other hand has lost morals/conscience, everyone is isolated and suspicious of each other as a result of a breakdown in civilisation

Both BNW and BR violate natural aspects of humanity when they create artificial life

thats all i can think of.......but yeah humanity is basically mankind but its not enough to just talk about replicants/"hatched" babies

Morgues

Originally posted by bex
deal with King Lear right now!!

oh boy am i screwed for that.......know the general storyline + some quotes but not much more
going to be a looong night

philbert_frog

Bex: No, I'm not. I don't know who Tegan is! You've got the wrong person sorry!

Morgues: Thank you so much! Definitions (eg. In The Wild and Telling The Truth) are annoying me at the moment because our teachers have told us that we have to define everything. It just adds to the confusion in my mind, but it makes sense to have it in the essay.

I'm starting to think the BoS want them there so that they can incorporate them into HSC mark 2 - the one that should have been implemented in the first place, so that teachers can't complain that all they've ben given to teach is half a page of pretentious crap.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
ye i keep 4getting to leave out my definitions for nature or natural etc etc
I have trouble trying to fit in the definition. When do u guys include the definition? In intro?

Confuzzled?!

HSC
truth....is this for truth and representation?

well..i'm doing history and memory..and i guess..truth sorta slides into that..

ah....truth is when there is straight evidence? no exaggerated memories and thoughts tinkled into it? lol....

i dunno..i can't define things...and thank you to the one who posted the DEFINING for BNW/BR...i'm so screwed

my paper 2 trials are tomorrow..and i know nothing!!!!!!
nothing about Lear, BNW/BR....or what's the ...50th gate! thats it! lol..*yeah..i blank out on my 3rd text tomorrow during the exam...greatttt*......

lol.

Confuzzled?!

HSC
lol! i was wondering what you meant.....

mehh.....screwed! screwed! panic attack..
misadventure -

"yes, marina was hit by a bus....terrible, just terrible"
"bad luck...do the paper!"

*cries*
lol...

no..hit by a bus is horrible...eek..i might've jinxed myself..
*knock on wood*

arghh....not prepared.....

so much for "getting a good night's sleep" for 'how to prepare for exams" !!! LOL

|_wise_|

yeah does anyone have a good definition for truth??? i'm going for the whole "no absoloute truth" thing...but i was wondering if anyone had a really neat way of putting it???

bex

HSC
haha i have just sat here for like 10 minutes trying to work out a definition for truth... ehh i give up....
and phibert? sorry theres another guy who uses the same kinda idea in the whole philbert frog thing and hes going out with a friend of mine... hehe i got confused!!!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by |_wise_|
yeah does anyone have a good definition for truth??? i'm going for the whole "no absoloute truth" thing...but i was wondering if anyone had a really neat way of putting it???

my teacher put it this way - he threw a pencil at the wall and asked everybody in the class to give a definition of what just happened. you'd get replies like 'a pencil was thrown at the wall' 'the wall was viciously attacked by the teacher' 'a projectile flew past my head' etc. all of them were TRUE, but none of them was the ABSOLUTE truth.

you could also look at it from different perspectives:
'a pencil was thrown at the wall' is different from the wall's perspective (okay, okay, bear with me) of 'a missile was lodged at me'. you can skew the truth that way: changing the perspective of the viewer.

other method is to limit the truth to prevent absolutes - if you view something through a camera, you're stuck with one perspective, one angle, maybe even one little 1x1 square with which to view "the truth". it's THE TRUTH, but it's not absolute.

hth. if not - throw a pencil at the wall ;)

|_wise_|

that sound really good anti....but i'm still stuck as to how to say that nicely in an exam? mmmm...

Confuzzled?!

HSC
lol! just say

From the Wall's perspective "a missle was lodged at me! it was aimed at me! aimed!"

as from other viewers "a pencil was thrown at the wall'. "a projectile flew over my head"......these are all TRUE..but not the absolute Truth! lol...

just say what anti said in ur exam! HAHHAHAHHAHAH

:D

philbert_frog

Definitions of Truth, Nature and Humanity

These are my definitions:

Nature and What is natural
Nature refers to the environment in which people live and the way those people live their lives. (eg. relationships, emotions)

BNW: Nature exists in the Savage Reservation and the Savage Retreat (which is the place he goes to at the end). In the New World State, nature has been ignored and manipulated by society.

BR: Nature refers to the world of LA, 2019. This is not "natural" from a 2002 context, but its still nature. "Natural" relationships and emotions are all but non-existent, except amongst the Replicants (ironic).

Humanity
Humanity refers to the quality of being human and is split into 2 - natural qualities (eg. relationships, emotions) and those that are artificial (ie. superficial).

BNW: Natural human qualities have been manipulated by science or altered to make them artificial (eg. relationships, birth).

BR: Humans have lost the qualities that make them human.

Truth
Truth can be altered by context, and can be manipulated or misrepresented. It is "proven or verified fact", however this is useless for our purposes. For the purposes of Frontline etc... absolute truth is an unattainable goal.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Just to add to what Philbert said...

I'd also try to distinguish between nature as in physical nature and human nature. It may seem obvious (physical = trees, birds, animals etc) but you'd be surprised (or not!) at how easy it is to ramble and forget to make those things clear :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)