Definition of Belonging (1 Viewer)

_K34LOVE968

HSC
Hey guys;

I have a speech due in a few days and I'm just touching up.

I was just wondering if i could get a suitable definition for "belonging" (yes I know there is no real set meaning, but I need a better definition than mine ><, obviously it's not just about acceptance, inclusion/exclusion, and all that).

Thanks! :)

bored of sc

HSC
Belonging is a sense of enlightenment felt when an individual gains an understanding of themselves in relation to others and the wider world.

_K34LOVE968

HSC
Thanks, but is there anything more in depth, but not too long?

Kl343668LOVE968

HSC
be·long·ing (b
-lông
ng, -l
ng
-)n.1. A personal item that one owns; a possession. Often used in the plural.
2. Acceptance as a natural member or part: a sense of belonging.

Or you can just say something like "Belonging is the inherent nature of humans to connect with others."

It's basically a sense of connection or attachment to people/places. Just reword that to sound good, but that's what the bottom line of belonging is.

_K34LOVE968

HSC
--"!
Thanks danny ==

LOL T^T... i need to show that i understand what belonging is and that it's linked with my text "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs", where the persona chooses to belong AND not to belong to the society.

isabe

HSC
you could look at Maslow's ideas about belonging, just google Maslow's hierarchy, it's all about how belonging is a deep need caused by evolutionary drives, could be useful.

is "cloudy with a chance of meatballs" good? i've ben wanting to see it for ages but it hasn't come to any cinema's here.

Kl343668LOVE968

HSC
Omg both definitions I just said were said by 2 of the nerdiest english nerds in baulko, just accept that and use that -.-. If in cloudy with a chance of neowies, then just change what the person is trying to belong into.

So instead of
"Belonging is the inherent nature of humans to connect with others."

say

"Belonging is the inherent nature of humans to connect with <Insert what they're connecting to>."

HSC
Belonging is a way of having acceptance, security and fulfillment whether its belonging to a group of friends, family, race and culture.

_K34LOVE968

HSC
o^o thankyou, that's actually what I'm looking for :)
and "Cloudy.." is an alright movie, i found it pretty funny haha x)

Danny;
LOL == so what, they didnt tell me what i wanted LOL so im not using it =XX..

_K34LOVE968

HSC
Okay, with the replies and the rubric, I've defined it as is:

"belonging" may be a way of acceptance, having security, fulfilment and/or a connection in association to people, places, groups, communities, and the world itself. There are different notions of belonging; however, they are recognised in cultural, historical, personal and social contexts.

Would that be alright?

Kl343668LOVE968

HSC
"May" sounds dodgy like you're not sure of what you're saying and only guessing. Go with "Is" makes you sound confident, important in a speech...

Otherwise *Neowie*
_
( ((
\ =\
__\_ `-\
(____))( \----
(____)) _
(____))
(____))____/----

And in case you don't trust my judgement, I had that double checked XD.

sodam

HSC
IMO: Belonging is the perceptions held by one which enables them to be inherently connect and develop an affinity with one self as well as an intimate bond with others; in an effort to quell the desire of the human condition.
-Da oiz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)