Defusing defensive Dads (1 Viewer)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
dagwoman said:
You're 19. You're in your second year of uni. He needs to understand you're an adult now. Maybe consider moving out and asserting your independence?
Nah, living at home is too sweet a deal.

Legham

HSC
Every weekend i tell my parents im going out to drink way too much, take illegal drugs and have unprotected sex with many prostitutes.. And we all have a good laugh. Maybe try that tactic? :)

(they dont even know i drink :p)

Legham

HSC
trolloutaface said:
thank god my parents aren't like that :eek:
Arent? :O

It's awesome. Im free to do whatever i want on the weekends :) I just have to tell them whether im coming home or not, or if i dont know..

They know im joking of course :p They just trust me now

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Legham said:
(they dont even know i drink :p)
They will eventually.
Like when you rock up at home at 7.30am still drunk, throw up alot, then sleep for 12 hours.
Man, I was so trashed that night.

Legham

HSC
mr_brightside said:
They will eventually.
Like when you rock up at home at 7.30am still drunk, throw up alot, then sleep for 12 hours.
Man, I was so trashed that night.
Nahh, i dont usually go home. I got tons of places to stay all around town and stuff.. And i always park my car somewhere near where im going so i can sleep in that if i want. It's actually pretty comfy :)
If they do find out, i think it'll be cause one of my sisters might accidentally let it slip one time.. Dunno how they'll react :/.. not meant to drink anymore than 3 or 4 drinks a night, even when i grow into a full adult, for medical reasons.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
dagwoman said:
You're 19. You're in your second year of uni. He needs to understand you're an adult now. Maybe consider moving out and asserting your independence?
Good idea in theory, absolutely shit in practice. I know a lot of people do do it, but it's not easy at all.

I have a dad like that. He also HATES my boyfriend...with a passion...because he can't deal with the fact that I'm no longer his little girl.

The way I dealt with my problem was to ignore. I no longer fight. I use to get upset and listen to what he said, which ended quick smart coz my brother was allowed to do a lot more things at my age and regardless of sex, it's very unfair. Anyway, these days my dad says no and I just walk out, coz my mum makes the final decisions in my household.

There's 2 things:
a) your dad's unreasonable or
b) there really is a reason behind him being so strict.

It's often hard to deal with this on your own, coz even when u do sit him down and talk to him, he won't listen. he's male and probably pig-headed. Get your sister or your mum to help you.

Alternatively, you can do what I just did and ignore him. lol But every situation is different.

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
Um, specifically speaking - for my current relationship...

I was hospitalized for a stomach ulcer and anaemia after Xmas last year, my b.f. came to visit me and introduced himself to my parents - to my dad specifically. Dad just 'mmm'ed at everything he'd said and mum was fiddling with a plastic bag (dammit). They obviously didn't take him seriously. He gave me flowers the next day. Dad didn't say anything about it, avoiding the subject.

To this day, when my moble rings and I'm not around, he wouldn't tell me. Sometimes, like, when I folded 99 roses for Valentine's Day, he'd comment positively on my perserverance and skill...but you could just see his face sterning when I mention anything about the guy.

I know that dad's letting time to do all the work, to tell. So I can't bring anyone home yet. He always says that there's a time for everything and that right now I should study. I'm fully confident that my relationship will last and so at 21 or 22, I'd bring him home.

Otherwise, whenever I claim that I'm old enough for certain things, he'd comment on whether my bed's made in the mornings and whether I can tody and organise thigns properly. Very err...strict.

Last edited:

Member232135

HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
EDIT: What I mean by this is you don't get to play with the big kids until you figure out that you have too many words in your posts, and far too few fingers on your hands.
AAAAAAAH! laughed so hard. goodwork! :burn:

Hero Of Time

HSC
N/A
I usually run out the house screaming obscenities until I get what I want.

Legham

HSC
Wow, you sound like a great child! Can i borrow some DNA so i can get one just like you?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Hold your breath until they cave or you pass out.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Hero Of Time said:
I usually run out the house screaming obscenities until I get what I want.
I just live with it then find some way to make a deal with my parents to get what i want.

Legham

HSC
My mum tries to tell me that im not going down to sydney for a couple of days to go see Dragonforce, but everytime she says i just laugh at her as though she's joking.. But she's serious. Too late though, i already got accomodation booked and bus tickets booked :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)