Degree choice for Foreign Affairs (1 Viewer)

Libra89

HSC
I'm planning to get into DFAT and the whole Foreign Affairs area, eventually, as a career. Then go into the UN, etc.
Can someone in the know sort of guide me as to what would be the best choice for a degree. Last USyd open day i was told the BComm(Liberal Studies) would be good as it gives you good skills, as well as give you an all-round education.
Thanks for your help, it would be really appreciated!

Libra89

HSC
I was wondering what degree should i do for a career in foreign affairs, UN , etc.
I would appreciate someone in the know helping me out. At the last open day, i was told the Bcomm(Liberal studies) gives an all round education and grounding.
Thanks in advance!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
B. Comm (Lib. Studies) will certainly give you a good all around education and grounding. However, the cut-off is fairly high and I have no idea what you are like as a student.

Basically, you need to look through the handbook and have a look at what subjects allow you to go a major in Government and International Relations and/or Political Economy, because Sydney does not, as such, have a Bachelor of Political Science degree.

My degree Bachelor of Economic and Social Sciences is also another popular degree for people who are wanting to do International Relations to do. This degree is also available in a double degree with Law.

The Bachelor of International Studies degree at Sydney is also a degree which primes you for a career in International Relations, but it is a relatively new program and I would be hesitant in joining it - there have been several students who have been unhappy with the way the program has been administered and conducted. This degree is also available as a double degree with Law.

The new Bachelor of Global Studies degree also looks like it primes you towards International Relations (hence, the name) and the pedigree of the administrator for this program is far better than that of International Studies, so I would be less hesitant to participate in this as a new program.

In summary:

If you dont mind trying new things, the latter two are good options with acheiveable cut-offs. If you are an excellent student and are expecting a sky-high UAI or want something with a more established reputation, go with one of the first two.

Good luck, let us know how you go :)

Libra89

HSC
Whatever your name is, thankyou so much! I mean im doing my HSC in 2007 but it really does help when you've got a clear path for uni early and especially getting guidance along the way!
thanks again mate!

bustinjustin

HSC
Have you had a look around at all the graduate testimonials on the DFAT website? Fascinating insight into what courses people have done, and more interestingly, what previous work experience they brought with them to DFAT - as you'll see, it's really quite broad, you don't necessarily need to do International Studies, but anything with international relations would help given grad recruits without previous relevant study do a concurrent ANU course in international relations.

You may also notice that one of the grad recruits from 2005 was a B Economic & Social Sciences graduate from Sydney (!), and a Government major (Gareth)

which is heartening for all aspiring Sydney Uni diplomats - which is practically every second person doing Government/Politics, and nearly all the kids doing B. International Studies. Speaking of this, as you probably know, it's really competitive, so keep an open mind, and at the end of the day, it's going to be a combination of grades, work experience and how you go in the selection process that'll have more say than specifically what degree you do.

And just to elaborate why B. International Studies should be approached with caution - a lot of the compulsory core units, especially in first year, are some of the most notoriously tedious and awfully taught units in the Faculty, namely Geopolitics, World Politics, and International Economy and Finance, and on the whole, it's a very structured, inflexible degree. You can practically do same things in a different degree with a lower cut-off (eg. B Econ. Soc. Sci), and the only thing you'll really miss are the 'practical' international studies units. Oh, and it also depends on what title you wanna graduate with, since they're inherently all the same anyway - 'Economic (& social sciences)' 'International studies', 'global studies', or even 'arts', depending on how you feel about the connotations of each title, and what title you want future employers to see.

Keep in mind that B. Comm (lib) is also a 4 year degree as opposed to just 3.

cimbom

HSC
I'm also interested in a similar area for my career.. and I think it's important to major in government + international relations. It is basically the discipline of foreign affairs and political science. Initially I missed out on the cutoff for B.Int. Stud this year.. but now I'm quite happy in B.Economics because it allows me to major in economics (as compulsory) as well as government quite easily. Joint honours in both is possible. Whereas in B.Int.Stud. with all the compulsory core units of study, particularly from political economy, you might not have room to major in something more that you'd like to.. like a language, or something as useful as economics. To me an economics major is invaluable.. especially if you're considering postgraduate study in public policy, or a M.Int. Studies (which is all government units).

But I know a few people doing B.Ec (Soc.Sci.) who are also majoring in both economics and government, like me in just straight B.Ec. You can get into either with a UAI of about 92.. given that the cutoffs don't change dramatically this year or next year. However you're also constrained in the economics and social sciences degree, where you have to major in either economics or political economy. If you hate both, and only want to do govt and languages for example, you're stuck.

To me the most freedom is probably in B.Commerce (liberal studies) and B.Economics, if you want to major in government as well as having a background in economics and some business-orientated units for commerce. To me a economic background, whether it is achieved in an economics major, or even a major in political economy, complements any studies in politics (govt). But it depends on too many things.. they could always change the degree structure around for B.Int.Stud. But like bustinjustin above said, you can achieve the same things in the int.stud. degree in some other degrees.. as I am in B.Ec, and as many others are in B.Ec (Soc.Sci.) with the freedom to choose for example what govt. units in particular you'd like to do..

Libra89

HSC
Thanks for all your help and insight. It's good to hear from like minded people or at least people with much more experience than i cos' u look at your situation different.
Your tips n pointer are much appreciated!
Good luck with ur study!

L

littlewing69

I'm aiming to work in DFAT eventually and have decided to do an Arts/Law program at ANU.

I'll major in IR in Arts, but I think the law degree will make me a more versatile and attractive candidate.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
littlewing69 said:
I'm aiming to work in DFAT eventually and have decided to do an Arts/Law program at ANU.

I'll major in IR in Arts, but I think the law degree will make me a more versatile and attractive candidate.
Yeah, I'm looking to do the same. (If I get into Law, which I doubt, but hopefully I can transfer from Arts into Arts/Law after a year.) Not sure if I'll major in IR, though - I might do a minor in it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)