Deliberate Bushfires (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
A few weeks ago, I was in Ulladulla and I was totally engulfed in smoke. Traffic was a standstill and all we could do was sit there and breathe through a cloth. We were four hours behind from our destination (Victoria).

And to our dismay, we heard the fire was delibretley lit.

And its quite frequent recently, here are some:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/firefighters-braced-as-heat-rises/2006/10/14/1160246356626.html

Police charge arsonists

Two people have been charged and three children cautioned after allegedly starting bushfires in NSW, police say.

A boy, 14, was accused of starting a 42-hectare fire at Heddon Greta, in the Hunter Valley.

A Glenfield man, 22, has been charged with two counts of deliberately lighting a fire in bushland at Macquarie Fields.

Police said three boys, aged five, nine and 12, had been cautioned after allegedly setting fire to four hectares of grassland at Bidwill.

Late yesterday firefighters were close to containing a blaze in Kentlyn, near Holsworthy Army Base. An 800-hectare fire in Kosciuszko National Park, near Khancoban, southern NSW, had yet to be contained but was in a remote area and had only destroyed wilderness area.

A small fire near Merimbula, on the South Coast, disrupted Pacific Highway traffic.

In Hobart, where firefighters faced fierce blazes on Thursday, a boy, 14, was reported to have been caught setting fire to vegetation.
I admit I'm ignorant about arsonists. Is it for the fun or is it some attempt of helping the environment? (I know that Australian Bush actually require a bushfire to reproduce).

I'm not sure whether there were this many bushfires deliberately lit in the past because I never really paid real attention. I admit I only have now because it affected me personally while I was in Ulladulla. But I'm pretty sure the bushfires this year are too early in the year.

Thoughts on the recent bushfires?

Last edited:

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
I live in a bushfire prone area (on the fringe of a national park near newcastle).
My thoughts?
Arsonists are arseholes and deliberate bushfires are absolutely terrifying.
I don't mind controlled burns, which are called backburning, which reduce the effects of bushfire by clearing up excess "fuel" and also helping certain plants reproduce, but the real thing is horrifying...I can still remember the 93/94 bushfires and I was about 5 years old then. I think what makes where I live a little worse is that we're sorrounded by gum and pine :(

Some people just do it cause they get a kick out of it...a strange pyschological issue!

As for the one at Heddon Greta, that wasn't good at all... quite terrible in fact as I have friends up there :( and the area is sort of like mine.
Recently there have been a couple of spot fires around her and the bush fire brigades have seized the opportunity to use them as practices for water bombing (we had 4 choppers here doing it a week ago)

woodwardbrett

HSC
Anyone delliberately lighting bushfires should be burnt at the stake (other than those doing controlled burns etc....... legally in other words)..... or at the least punished harsly.... gaol time deffinately.

and if its kids they need to be taught a real lesson...put them in with the big bad boys... that'll fix them....

I live in a fire prone area near newcastle aswell and I tell you bush fires are scary things, especially when it threatens your home (or friends/relo's etc).

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Angry firemen are actually the highest perpetrators of arson, but nooo lets all praise the firefighters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)