• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Demand for secondary music teachers? (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I could die a happy man if I never have to write another scientific report. I'd rather stay in my current job as a mail sorter on $25k for the rest of my life than go back to my degree.

To that end, I've been thinking of transferring to b. contemporary music at SCU next year, with a view of becoming a secondary music teacher at some point.

I know physics/chem and stuff are in demand specializations, and music is not, but are there basically reasonable job prospects? Or is the market flooded with failed and jaded aspiring concert pianists? I'm happy to work in regional and remote areas. Actually prefer it.

I've also heard rumor dip. ed has been abolished in 2009? Is doing 2 years of masters now the shortest track to education?

Only experts in the field reply please.

aLexTasyy

HSC
I know you'll probably overlook my comment. But here in NSW at the local primary school in my area, there is a Music teacher teaching year 4... due to the lack of demand. Sorry dude.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
There isn't a huge demand for it, like most creative arts subjects it can get sidelined (depending on the school). However having said that most high schools have compulsory music for at least some part of the 7-10 curriculum, plus it's an elective, so it's not as if you'll be desperately unemployed but you might have to be prepared to teach other subjects, or be the only music teacher in your school, etc etc. It really depends from school to school. You could be lucky enough to land a job at a performing arts school with an awesome music program and sweet resources or you could end up teaching geography 9 periods out of ten because the school doesn't offer much in the way of a creative arts curriculum. Idk, give it a go.

I'm not sure about the dip.ed thing, have heard similar rumours though. Also not sure about the structure of either masters or dip.ed but my broad understanding from my own degree is that secondary teachers have to have more than one teaching method, so pick something that's generally in demand/popular, like History or something, so you have a better chance of getting a job.

Edit: what I'm basically trying to get at is that music isn't always a valued subject by a lot of schools, not so much that there isn't a demand for them (music teachers), there probably is but you would have to look for it. Like there are a thousand million training English and Drama teachers out there myself included who will be clamouring for jobs in a couple of years, but English is a huge compulsory part of the whole curriculum and Drama is a more or less popular elective subject so there is more of a demand for those subjects in that sense. If that makes any sense at all just coming out of my head like brain vomit.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Dip Ed is being scratched, and the only way you'll be able to do a degree and then teach is to do a Masters or a Bachelor of Teaching. AFAIK.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
There isn't a huge demand for it, like most creative arts subjects it can get sidelined (depending on the school). However having said that most high schools have compulsory music for at least some part of the 7-10 curriculum, plus it's an elective, so it's not as if you'll be desperately unemployed but you might have to be prepared to teach other subjects, or be the only music teacher in your school, etc etc. It really depends from school to school. You could be lucky enough to land a job at a performing arts school with an awesome music program and sweet resources or you could end up teaching geography 9 periods out of ten because the school doesn't offer much in the way of a creative arts curriculum. Idk, give it a go.

I'm not sure about the dip.ed thing, have heard similar rumours though. Also not sure about the structure of either masters or dip.ed but my broad understanding from my own degree is that secondary teachers have to have more than one teaching method, so pick something that's generally in demand/popular, like History or something, so you have a better chance of getting a job.

Edit: what I'm basically trying to get at is that music isn't always a valued subject by a lot of schools, not so much that there isn't a demand for them (music teachers), there probably is but you would have to look for it. Like there are a thousand million training English and Drama teachers out there myself included who will be clamouring for jobs in a couple of years, but English is a huge compulsory part of the whole curriculum and Drama is a more or less popular elective subject so there is more of a demand for those subjects in that sense. If that makes any sense at all just coming out of my head like brain vomit.
Thank you, this is all relevant. Obviously, being qualified in the sciences would be better.

This sound like a fairly gay idea. Especially having to do <1 year post grad.

I should man up and get a real qualification.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)