• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Democracy - does it work? (1 Viewer)

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
flappinghippo said:
Talking about Australia, I think part of the solution is having the choice of whether to vote or not. That way, there's a compromise; you have people who do care about politics expressing what they want, and the indifferent ones needn't be forced to express anything since they have nothing to say.
You are not obliged to vote in Australia. You are obliged to rock up to some school or church or town hall or what ever on election day and get your named ticked off. The people who don't care about voting, probably do not vote, they more than likely post a donkey vote or nothing at all.

You are not required to vote, you are required to get your name marked off.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Gilbert1 said:
You are not obliged to vote in Australia. You are obliged to rock up to some school or church or town hall or what ever on election day and get your named ticked off. The people who don't care about voting, probably do not vote, they more than likely post a donkey vote or nothing at all.

You are not required to vote, you are required to get your name marked off.
Exactly.

Adding this, you are not forced to enrol at all. Even if you enrol at 48, no one is going to give a shit where you've been for the last 30 years, and won't charge you.

I find that this current voting system is better than a non-compulsary system (say America). It just makes the whole thing more reliable (I have worked both in the enrolment process as well as the voting/counting process). None of this "oh whoops, you're not on the roll, bye" business.

America seems to have this conspiracy thing going, where certain seats/type of people are mysteriously taken off the roll. Make it compulsary and there is no crappy debate about the reliability of it all.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
ive come across people who dont vote, some aren't on the register and dont vote

others are on the register but no one seems to care if/how they vote

at least its better than what happened in PNG recently where ppl had to vote for their 100 or so family members lol

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
MR EAZY's RANT

democracy, sooooooooo controversial. its not about voting that makes it a democracy. its the idea that the people of this country get a say in what the laws should be, and that is decided by the majority.

is that right?

voting seems too nominal. i vote for a guy for one thing, and he'll start wars and sell off our lands, do some shoddy deals, and still deliver what he promised me

thats what i voted him in for right??

and with this party politics coming in where i dont decide what politicians will represent me, but what party ideology does it best is really really... i dunno how to put it

south west sydney, ive read that there's a mortgage crisis going on - people are losing their homes because they cant keep up. Other Australians are getting into debt, but the folks down here and other western suburbs have the added effect of being of the working class that they cant keep up

but none of our local politicians have anything to say on that.

why do i feel that no one is out there representing me? well, i dont have a mortgage, i dont know anyone here who does, but its a problem facing my neighbours- the people of my neighbourhood, electorate etc i want them to be helped out

and this stuff on racism, protection of civil liberties, etc no politician, because of the party politics, has ever come out crying foul...

notwithstanding other problems in dental, health, education

dunno why i bother

Dongle

HSC
Re: MR EAZY's RANT

Democracy? What is this democracy you speak of? I see no democracy around me!

I only see an estranged, self-interested bunch who are chosen by us apathetic people every three years. Is this the democracy you mention?

flappinghippo

HSC

mr EaZy said:
whole post
What? Democracy is about electing a person who you trust will be able to run the country, and have the good sense to make the right decisions for the country.

You can bitch about how so and so minority groups aren't being treated 'fairly', or are going through rough times. Hello? Life's always been rough. And it's been 50 bajillion times rougher, just 200 years ago, even 100. It's almost incomprehensible how fucked up life was. Maybe you should read AB Facey's A Fortunate Life. His family was so poor he had to work on farms in Western Australia at the age of 9. He worked all day long and only had time to sleep at night, for months. For shithouse pay. One of his employers used to get drunk to the point that one time little Facey was beat up by his cattle whip. He didn't get justice; he just moved on. Who was there to help him?

Now, what's the definition of poor today? Well, a whole bunch of the 'poor' own TV's, are well fed, have civil rights, have a fortnightly income they spend on booze, it goes on. There are so many safegaurds and policies in place that have got us here. Who starves to death in Australia?

The biggest issues have been solved because of democracy. There has never been a famine under a democracy. Child mortality rates are the lowest in history under democracy. Food has become cheaper despite rising populations and increasingly available The fact that you think the biggest domestic issue is the mortgage 'crisis' is proof of how much democracy has helpedus.

Although, it is a work in progress.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC

flappinghippo said:
What? Democracy is about electing a person who you trust will be able to run the country, and have the good sense to make the right decisions for the country.

You can bitch about how so and so minority groups aren't being treated 'fairly', or are going through rough times. Hello? Life's always been rough. And it's been 50 bajillion times rougher, just 200 years ago, even 100. It's almost incomprehensible how fucked up life was. Maybe you should read AB Facey's A Fortunate Life. His family was so poor he had to work on farms in Western Australia at the age of 9. He worked all day long and only had time to sleep at night, for months. For shithouse pay. One of his employers used to get drunk to the point that one time little Facey was beat up by his cattle whip. He didn't get justice; he just moved on. Who was there to help him?

Now, what's the definition of poor today? Well, a whole bunch of the 'poor' own TV's, are well fed, have civil rights, have a fortnightly income they spend on booze, it goes on. There are so many safegaurds and policies in place that have got us here. Who starves to death in Australia?

The biggest issues have been solved because of democracy. There has never been a famine under a democracy. Child mortality rates are the lowest in history under democracy. Food has become cheaper despite rising populations and increasingly available The fact that you think the biggest domestic issue is the mortgage 'crisis' is proof of how much democracy has helpedus.

Although, it is a work in progress.
I disagree with this whole statement. Sorry

For one there has been famines under democratic countries/systems. Democracy can be traced back to ancient greek and they had some famines. And again a child mortality rate does not coincide with what system of government you have.

Also you seem to have the idea of a democracy confused to how australia runs there democracy.

Last thing being a democracy hasn't made Autralia rich. A country can be rich and prosperus being a commnist country (China is very rich).

flappinghippo

HSC

Gilbert1 said:
I disagree with this whole statement. Sorry

For one there has been famines under democratic countries/systems. Democracy can be traced back to ancient greek and they had some famines. And again a child mortality rate does not coincide with what system of government you have.

Also you seem to have the idea of a democracy confused to how australia runs there democracy.

Last thing being a democracy hasn't made Autralia rich. A country can be rich and prosperus being a commnist country (China is very rich).
What famines are you talking about?

Child mortality of course coincides with the system of government. Not directly, as you have taken it to be. For example, better health care arises out of technological advances borne out of increased prosperity under democratic and capitalist countries. Having this environment of freedom is a huge factor in the general wellbeing of people. Millions die when power is more concentrated - look at the estimated 20 million who died from starvation only a few decades ago during the Great Leap Forward.

Speaking of which, you proved my point with your statement about China. China has only started to catch up with the world only recently, after Mao died. It just so happens this started when China began to adopt Western ideals of freedom and capitalism - its communist label has been steadily become more of a label than anything else. Capitalism empowers its citizens, and this shift in the power balance shows democracy will follow.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC

Yes Capitalism empowers its citizens but that isnt democracy. Democracy often goes along with capitalism but it doesn' always happen the otherway. They are two different things completly.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A

But they complement eachother. Is it purely a coincidence that most capitalist countries happened to have democratic form of government.

Tacgnol

HSC

Whatever system of government you use is irrelivent. All will be crushed before me

flappinghippo

HSC

Gilbert1 said:
Yes Capitalism empowers its citizens but that isnt democracy. Democracy often goes along with capitalism but it doesn' always happen the otherway. They are two different things completly.
You are right, they are two different things. Economic freedom doesn't necessarily mean political freedom; citizens can enjoy the benefits of a free market without political freedom under a benevolent dictatorship. I think this was the case with the Philippines or some other oceanic country?

On the other hand, we can look at Chilé. Pinochet usurped power and made himself dictator, violating a plethora of human rights, repressing his people etc., basically being a cunt head. Taking advice from Milton Friedman to improve his country's economy, he opened up the markets, allowed greater economic freedom and by doing so, unknowingly he empowered his citizens. This was the spark that led to his power waning over the next two decades until his death, where this once brutal and bloody dicatorship was replaced by a peaceful and democratic system. And Chilé is one of the few prosperous nations within the basket case that is South America.

zimmerman8k said:
PrinceHarry said:
But they complement eachother. Is it purely a coincidence that most capitalist countries happened to have democratic form of government.
yes
Why?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)