dent at griffith (1 Viewer)

hello:)

HSC
hi,

does anyone know the UAI cutoff for B of Oral Health in Dental science? all it says on website in reference to the UAI is "academic achievement". also, does anyone know the amount of competition to get into this course and what they ask at the interview?

thanks

Spon888

HSC
Yea I'm also interested in this as well. From what I gather from other universities, they prefer to take in very high academic achievers who also achieved good UMAT and interview scores, but having said that, other universities who do not specifically have UAI/VCE other cutoffs just pick the top applicants.

Of course it depends on demand for the course, but assuming that dentistry has a similar proportional demand to medicine in terms of applicants to places, then the trend is that some people can get in with a relatively low UAI/VCEetc compared to the rest of the cohort so that the university can use them as an example to say that cutoffss are not the main discriminant. Also because if you get a low cutoff, (anywhere from 85-95) you can impress in the interview and still get in. But otherwise, getting a high score and good umat will usually guarantee a good chance.

I don't know of a specific number, but there will probably be anywhere from 30-45 places for this course (going by other dentistry schools in aus) for CSP and full fee paying, and you can be sure this is a very competitive course. You have to take into account that people who don't get into medicine may also apply for this course, plus the fact that there are only about 100-150 dental placings per year in the whole of australia, plus you compete with first year tertiary transfers, it is very competitive.

ps, to 'hello:)' - is dentistry your first preference?

shannY

HSC
adding on to what spo888 has just said, nsw oral health is taking people in varying uai between 70-100.. because we don't want a geek who has no people skills handling your teeth..

HSC
nsw...as in Uni of NSW or USYD? those 2 courses dont allow u to become a dentist though..just a hygineist. thats why the cutoff's low

Spon888

HSC
Recently a very real decision came to me, what to put for first preference for Dentistry for QTAC

- University of Queensland
- Griffith University

Looking at it from an interstate point of view, I'll have to move out anyway and they are about 1hour between each other so I'm not fussed about where they are. So for other people out there applying,

-which is your First Preference?
-and Why?

Also if anyone already goes to Griffith and would like to either sell it to me or say bad things about Queensland, nows your chance.

I'm swayed by the new facilities at Griffith and its awesome SurfersParadise location, but then I'm torn between the traditional buildings of UQ and its central position in Brisbane. Any recommendations?

ps I've also posted this in the UQ area.

HSC
im putting UQ first because its seen as a more prestigous uni once you graduate (shallow i know) plus the degree name is dental surgury, not BOH in dent sci, (again shallow). also i think the campus at griffith is pretty ugly compared to UQ. howd u go on umat?

bigheadache99

Public Enemy Realist
HSC
N/A
hello:) said:
im putting UQ first because its seen as a more prestigous uni once you graduate (shallow i know) plus the degree name is dental surgury, not BOH in dent sci, (again shallow). also i think the campus at griffith is pretty ugly compared to UQ. howd u go on umat?
Good on you. At least, there isn't an interview involved!

A friend once joked: Med/Dent Sch Interviews = Very bad for Asians

babyem

HSC
im looking at doing dentistry at Griffith too ! x]

buh my UAI might not be like super duper high =/

is UQ better ?

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I can't find a place on Griffith's website where it discusses course cut-offs. Can anyone direct me to it?

HSC
look on the page of the actual degree you want to do, and then click on .. i think it's 'apply for entry' on the left hand side. idk if dentistry degrees have cutoffs though?

rocafella32

HSC
Lol the UAI cutoff isnt online, but i got into Bachelor of Oral Health in Dental Sci (Dent) with a Uai of 85.9 at griffith....if u can get that and get a decent UMAT score and not Fuck up your interview, this might be a realistic option to you
However i only know one person with a lower UAI (or OP) which was like 78, but he is from the country and he may have got a rural scheme thingy

happyboyrulz

HSC
Congrats rocafella.
I got an interview for griffith for dentistry and i was wondering if u could tell me some questions you were asked and how i can prepare for the interview?

Thanks

Also i believe the UAI cut-off this year is 90UAI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)