Dentistry , a lil help ^^ (1 Viewer)

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
Hey just wondernig ...
Are :
Dentistry & Dental Science the same thing ?

Just confirming what a friend said !

SquidY06

HSC
in most cases yep.. i think melb has that..and dental surgery attached as well or something..

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
Wowee , lol thanks for your help !
Hrmm .. so is Melb the only place that has Undergrad Dentistry ?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Dent Science in UWA, UQ and Melb
Dent. Surgery in Adelaide

Dentistry in USYD (* exclusively grad entry)

there is griffith too but its a post-grad course.. and full fee for 2 yrs..

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
i heard that if you do dental science you cant do the surgery?
like newcastle's bmed? no surgery?

imma tool

duhhh

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
~shinigami~ said:
I'm wondering, is there any university that combines Dentistry with Arts?
well technically no..

then why not do a BA then do BDent at Usyd..

dent in the 5 yr courses is VERY packed.. and there is barely any extra non-dent stuff in it..

kloudsurfer

HSC
Bob.J said:
i heard that if you do dental science you cant do the surgery?
like newcastle's bmed? no surgery?

imma tool

duhhh
The MB at Newcastle, is exactly the same as the MBBS at other unis. So you are qualified to do surgery, just like someone with and MBBS. Its the same course, the same degree, you get taught the same thing and you end up with the same qualifications. Its just the name that is different.

I dont know about Dentistry because I dont wanna do it, but im assuming its the same.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
well technically no..

then why not do a BA then do BDent at Usyd..

dent in the 5 yr courses is VERY packed.. and there is barely any extra non-dent stuff in it..
Hmm...I was considering that but then I'd have to go through the GAMSAT which is apparently the older, tougher brother of the UMAT. :p

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
The MB at Newcastle, is exactly the same as the MBBS at other unis. So you are qualified to do surgery, just like someone with and MBBS. Its the same course, the same degree, you get taught the same thing and you end up with the same qualifications. Its just the name that is different.

I dont know about Dentistry because I dont wanna do it, but im assuming its the same.
ROFL... bob there apparently knows.. tat..

unimelbdental

HSC
N/A
All dental courses in Aus allow registration in all states and territories upon graduation. There is no difference in either taking the BDSc or the BDS course as both allow practice as a general dentist. The only difference, what I've heard, is that BDSc is more science based and BDS is more clinical based (correct me if i'm wrong), but both provides ample and sufficient clinical practice before graduation. So advice is don't be fooled by the adelaide uni's degree name as it only qualifies for a general dentist not a surgeon, unless postgrad work is done.

PS Melb uni is introducing the Melbourne Model where specialty undergraduate course (eg Law, Med, Dent etc) are being progressively phased in as Postgrad only. Law is set to be only postgrade from 2008 onwards. But Med and Dent have up to 2018 to make that transition.

rocafella32

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
Dent Science in UWA, UQ and Melb
Dent. Surgery in Adelaide

Dentistry in USYD (* exclusively grad entry)

there is griffith too but its a post-grad course.. and full fee for 2 yrs..
Griffith isnt really a post-grad course...im doing it and its undergrad basically...the only difference is, and it is basically a moot point, is that we do B Oral health in Dental Science for the first 3 yrs (which is actually a good thing cause it gives me a chance to finish a degree in 3yrs and do the gamsat, whereas other dent unis only allow you to do the gamsat after your 5 yr dent degree) , and then the next two yrs (4 and 5) we do a Diploma in Dentistry, which allows for registration with ADA which therefore makes your a fully fledged dentist

But basically every dent uni has the same course, except the name of the qualification. It just like med. Some unis have MBBS whereas UNCLE doesnt have Surgery in its title

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
actualli it is a post graduate course.. with provisional entry

its a graduate diploma in dentistry... that is a post grad course.. as u have an undergrad in BOH (Dent Sc)

its lik some course in NSW with a bach and masters part to it.. the spots are provisional tho

rocafella32

HSC
Yep technically you call it post-grad, cause of the seperation of the two degrees
But im not so sure about the provisional entry bit...from my understanding (cause i just got into it), the course outline says DIRECT entry into the Diploma of dentistry course...im pretty sure they want you to pass BOH, but im pretty sure that for most of the dent sci (BOH) students that entry will be pretty direct...the only non direct way would be if you were doing Oral Hygiene or Dent Tech and then tried out for Dent.

Provisional entry is meant for courses such as UNSW med sci-into med...they hold or reserve like 10-15 spots for the top achievers of med sci, and direct them into med at UNSW....my course, as i pointed out is a bit different

Me-Shell

HSC
the only shite thing about the griffith course is that the last two years are full fee. I think that's a bit dodgy actually. But - your point about getting the degree in 3 yrs is useful if you still intend to try for med.. and if you don't make it - then you've got the dentistry to fall back on.

rocafella32

HSC
lol yeah still gonna go for the med...yeah i the full fee paying is dodgy, but ive heard from hearsay that the unis trying to get rid of it, and by the time i hit 4th yr it might have been gone so i cant really be complaining right now
I think the dodgiest thing about the course is the fact that i get a Diploma in Dent, not a Bachelor in dent...pretty weird ay :~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)