Dentistry at USYD (1 Viewer)

big_bang344

HSC
How hard is it to get into post-grad dentistry at usyd. I heard it was hard and was told that i am better off moving interstate to do dentistry like uni of melbourne or something like that. But the thing is, i don't want to move! D; Is it actually that hard to get into post-grad dentistry at usyd?

Alkanes

HSC
Yep it is hard, most people tend to do a science degree or something related to the course first, but you can do any degree and still get in. On top of that you need to sit the GAMSAT as well.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
How hard is it to get into post-grad dentistry at usyd. I heard it was hard and was told that i am better off moving interstate to do dentistry like uni of melbourne or something like that. But the thing is, i don't want to move! D; Is it actually that hard to get into post-grad dentistry at usyd?
umelb doesnt have undergrad dent either. but no its not that hard. undergraduate medicine is probably harder to get into.

Alkanes

HSC
umelb only offers postgrad med now yea Fresh?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
You can apply for CSU, La Trobe, UoA, UWA, UQ, Griffith and JCU for undergraduate.

big_bang344

HSC
Do you know which one is closest to sydney? And how long it would take to get there by car or by plane?

Alkanes

HSC
Lol.. CSU is at dubbo or orange in nsw i think..

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you know which one is closest to sydney? And how long it would take to get there by car or by plane?
CSU. Car is approximately 3.5 hours and plane is an hour. It is more economical and efficient to rent accomodation, around $175/wk.

x3Reii

HSC
I asked the people at csu on this uni thing. Apparently they have a "priority" to rural students and only around 20% of metropolitan kids get in. And the people there didn't seem very approachable. CSU just didn't seem like a good uni to me.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
I asked the people at csu on this uni thing. Apparently they have a "priority" to rural students and only around 20% of metropolitan kids get in. And the people there didn't seem very approachable. CSU just didn't seem like a good uni to me.
yeh. they have extreme favourtism towards people who come from rural areas.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
True. It is a rural uni after all - their aim is to address the shortage of health professionals in rural areas.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
yeh. they have extreme favourtism towards people who come from rural areas.
Or if you can demonstrate a commitment to future rural practice (which I think is quite easy), but then again I come from a very rural town.

russ3l

HSC
What ATAR would you need to realistic to get into undergraduate dentistry???, the cutoff for csu is 90...but I know that it is alot more higher (for un-rural students).

hkx92

HSC
N/A
Can you please rank these unis? from being the most competitive and prestige? :D
Adelaide probably has the most capable graduates, they get a lot of clinical experience and from what I've heard possibly more than students from other unis. When doing a course like Dentistry it is important to get as much clinical experience as possible as a student, that is how you improve your clinical reasoning, speed and technical ability in doing things like fillings, root canals ect.

Adelaide is also a group of 8 uni as is UWA and UQ.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
For undergraduates:
1. Adelaide
2. UQ
3. UWA
4+ the other non-Go8 unis (griffith, jcu, csu etc etc)

For graduates:
1. Melbourne (not sure, but undergrad course used to be top notch)
2. Sydney

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)