Dentistry...how to get in? (1 Viewer)

Line|z0r

Hello, I am a yr 11 student who is about to enter yr12 next term. I have almost finished our preliminairy exams. My current subjects are
-3unit maths (2U + ext1)
-Advanced English
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Software Design and Development
Total: 11 units.

I did my 3 unit test on friday and I don't think I went very well. This year I felt that I didn't do all that well, I got 57% in the half yearlies. Anyhow, I am considering dropping 3U maths, and going down to 2U. I am considering because I was thinking; If I do reasonably well in all my other subjects, apart from 3U maths, will 3U maths be counted in my UAI? And if it is...will it boost/scale my marks a lot higher? If it doesn't improve my UAI, then I think it will just create more work for me, when in fact it won't do much good, esp, if it is not counted.

Has anyone else had this experience, or know of how much 3U helps your UAI?

I am really excited about going to Uni and studying Dentistry if I can get into it...I don't completely understand how you need a UAI of 99 (98 if u pay upfront) and also need 1 year of uni (basic science course). What UAI do you need to get into that basic course? When you finish that course (and pass) does it boost your UAI? I ask this because I do not think I can get 99
I think a high eighty score would be around my limit. I have read a little about upgrading etc, but I don't fully understand. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-Line|z0r

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
your in yr 11, going into yr 12 SO you got plenty of time! Dont drop 3unit... unless ur failing really bad.. I was doing really bad in yr 11 and considered dropping but i didnt My marks did improve overtime.. but thats really depends on yourself. 3unit pushes your uai then most subjects so its pretty high in scaling..

i fink your asking about graduate dentistry at sydney?
juz get into Usyd in some course and then 2nd yr apply for it.. Im not sure abt the uai part thoz..

Line|z0r

cool, thanx mate,

With the 3U part, what if in all of my other subjects I get higher marks...then my 3U won't be counted...or will it? I dunnO :S
If it is not counted then it is just work for no reason...

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
if all higher makrs then probably they all count except one unit of software since the scaling isnt that high. So the 3unit will probably end up counting but it really depends on what you get . If the makr is low it probably wont but if in the range of the 2 top bands... it should be calculated into the uai then software..

that didnt make sense 0_O

Line|z0r

software design is a 2 unit course...how would they only take 1 unit of it?

:S

Also, I am probably going to UQ (university of Queensland)

I just don't know how I'll get into that Dentistry course :(
Hell, if I don't, there's plenty of other stuff out there...right :p

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
They can do it.

It can be split into 1 unit if your extension 1 does better.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Have you considered the University of Melbourne? A friend of a friend of mine got rejected from UNSW medicine, and is now doing Dentistry @ Melbourne instead

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Originally posted by sukiyaki

i fink your asking about graduate dentistry at sydney?
juz get into Usyd in some course and then 2nd yr apply for it.. Im not sure abt the uai part thoz..
I think you need to complete a degree first before you can apply for entry into Dentistry @ USyd.
Its a combination of your Uni marks, GAMSAT and an interview that get you in.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes I'm pretty sure only the Uni of Melbourne has an Undergraduate Denistry degree

Azn fairies

Originally posted by Minai
Have you considered the University of Melbourne? A friend of a friend of mine got rejected from UNSW medicine, and is now doing Dentistry @ Melbourne instead
yeah only melbourn have a undergrad. degree... how do u apply for it anyway?. that's the UAI?..also don't u need to take the UMAT test?

Azn fairies

About dentistry @Usyd.. it's a post-grad coures therefore u have to finishe a full degree first then appyly for the GMAT test and interview... aslo dentistry degree is a full fee paying coures not hecs-so yeah... fuck 8 years at uni.!!

Huy

HSC
N/A
I am considering dentistry (got rejected for UNSW Med, hehe), but sitting for GAMSAT and full-fee paying doesn't sound too great from where I'm standing.

And yes, "fuck 8 years at uni.!!"
:)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
I am considering dentistry (got rejected for UNSW Med, hehe), but sitting for GAMSAT and full-fee paying doesn't sound too great from where I'm standing.

And yes, "fuck 8 years at uni.!!"
:)
GAMSAT isn't nearly as fun as the UMAT was - oh how I love ye, multiple guess! But hey, I'm willing to sit through 16 years at uni if it means I get to be a psychiatrist at the end.

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
I reckon anyone who sits through 16 years of Uni will be able to do whatever they want. 16 years of transferring...surely you'll get in the course you want.

Tocatina

If you already have a bad back, then I wouldn't pick Dentistry. If you have a good back at the moment, you won't by the time you retire. I know 2 people you have been Dentists all their lives and they have severe back and walking problems.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
my careers adivosr told me that the uai is for melbourne uni dentistry is 96.. provided u pass the umat... i think.. but yeah.. does queensland offer it?
damn sydney uni.. why do they have to make it a post-grad course? :mad1:

Azn fairies

ahah 14years at uni....imagine all the money u spent on just to egt a dentistry degree around 300,000..not worth it...

SYD.. chnaged it to post-grad, 2 years ago becasue too many people are applying for it before (before UAI 97%)...so they did this .so they get more mature people and more $$$..

Azn fairies

well around 8years..depends what coures u did first ...usally 8..(that is if u mnake the GMAT test the first time :p)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)