Dentistry?!?! (1 Viewer)

laurrrnmower

Pizza Slut
HSC
Hi!

I'm in year 12 now, and have wanted to be an orthodontist for years. My UAC first preference is B Oral Health at USYD. Here's the issue: The date for the PQA is November 9, which my family already booked a holiday for so they are not too pleased about my wanting to do the PQA. Obviously I really want to do it but I don't want to pay the money and screw up the holiday for nothing, especially as I've alrady spent hundreds on UMAT which barely matters now. So I'd like to know if it's even worth my sitting the PQA. By this I mean, realistically what is the min atar they consider for this course? I always assumed something around 96 because it leads to dentistry but a quick search revealed that in the past it has been as low as 70 and that most graduates don't move on to doctor of dentistry.

So! Mainly my question is: Is the atar generally really high (so that I needn't bother applying and messing up the holiday - I'm looking probably at a 93-ish) OR is it actually really low with barely any prospect for moving on to dentistry and/or finding a job?

So confused.

Thanks!!

PS. I know it's not solely based on ATAR, but please be realistic with me!

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
An orthodontist for years? If you're only attracted to the money and how easy it looks when you have your appointments you're due for disappointment.

Another note; the PQA is easy. If you don't want to give up a holiday for this career then I strongly suggest you reconsider your choice. You certainly won't be getting much time out of the books if you're in OHT at usyd. The PQA is just to sift out retards to be honest. Simple maths and nothing like section 1 or 2 in umat. If you want a good GPA to get into dent, OHT is not the degree for you.

With 93, only MAYBE CSU will take you. But having said that, you need to sit an intense interview where you have to show your passion. If they read this post they'd have a field day chewing you up - best get some interview training under your belt.

MrBeefJerky

HSC
Well the decision totally relies on you and your future career. If Oral Health is your second option to dentistry then deciding to give up your holiday would not be much of a problem right? After all, its probably something you might be doing for the next year or two. And besides, if you feel that the atar cut-off might be a bit too high, it's always to give it your best shot and take the test.

Btw, saying you want to be an orthodontist for years does not sound realistic in any way. How do you know orthodontics is what you really want without experiencing it? Being an orthodontic patient is totally different to practicing as one. Orthodontics is probably one of the hardest dental specialties to get into and so you have to ask yourself the question, "What if I don't get accepted into the specialty program? Will I still be content being just a dental practitioner?"

Also, doing B Oral Health at USYD does not give you an extra advantage over any other applicants. You will still have to go through the same pathway - UMAT/GAMSAT, GPA etc. and IMO it will probably be harder to get a good GPA in Oral health then, say, a basic science degree because of the practical components and huge workload/content. But in saying that, you should choose a degree that you feel you could be content doing for your future in the chance you don't get into Dentistry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)