Depression and the HSC - how do you cope? (1 Viewer)

Ashabella

HSC
Only some schools will give you special provisions and the BOS will NOT i tried. I have clinical depression AND clinical anxiety and am medicated for both. I TRIED to get special provissions but you need a psychiatrist report and even then you have a small chance of getting special provisions. Then you add parental pressure ontop of that (your not the only one going through this, some people have it worse, what makes you soo special??? why can't you just be normal, your not abnormal, what excuse have you got... 85% are you serious!!!! YOu should be getting a minimum of 90% on every test! I don't care if you TRIED your HARDEST... Thats not good enough!!!) My lil sis died 4 days before Christmas 2 years ago, i watched her suffer for three years with cancer. She was 13. I'm NOT NORMAL i will NEVER be. *exhales to calm down* so yeah depression is big and the HSC only makes it harder. But just pull through it. Ultimately it is only one year of your life and there are so many other ways of getting into uni or whatever else you wanna do.

Hey...

Gee, yeah... I hope you don't find this insulting but you're parents sound like they are a little too hard on you. Maybe they don't understand depression so well?

That's not okay that you didn't get special provisions. You can actually apply for them, i'm sure of it. It gets listed under 'Psychological' in the application form.

I'd argue that denying you special provisions is discrimination. You have a medical illness, so it should be recognised at what it is.

Are you able to get extensions on assignments at school and stuff?

I am seriously shocked at how you have been treated.

That's awful.... I wonder if there is something you can do about it?

Ash xo

HSC
ur depressed coz u listen to slipknot.

i didnt used to handle that well. but i do yoga now. and that helps.

and i have a study plan, be organised.

thats the key.

if u need a study plan come to me!!

im the super organiser!

slip00knot

HSC
ur depressed coz u listen to slipknot.

i didnt used to handle that well. but i do yoga now. and that helps.

and i have a study plan, be organised.

thats the key.

if u need a study plan come to me!!

im the super organiser!
i'm not depressed.. and whats depressing about slipknot? just because you don't like them doesn't mean they are depressing.

HSC
i'm not depressed.. and whats depressing about slipknot? just because you don't like them doesn't mean they are depressing.

as a matter of fact.
i LOVE slipknot.
and im not joking.

but i found that when i listened to them non stop while trying to study i got depressed... nd felt hopeless then the lyrics didnt help...

vermilion part2. killed me.
but i love them, my fav band.

sorry for offending yu man.

Miz Janani

HSC
It's easy enough to say go talk to a councellor or tell your friends/family. But it can be extremely difficult for someone with depression to admit it to anyone else..

Personally, i don't think the kids helpline helps.. about a year ago i was using this service bcoz i was depressed (i was in an illegal situation.. ahem..) but they didnt help whatsoever..

I think time is a very critical factor to curing depression.. i have been through so much shit (and still am) in my life and i have realised that whilst talking to friends may help, time is the only real cure..

Plus, cutting does not work.. Sure it gets rid of the pain temporarily but it does not get rid of the problem..

I dont know if my rant/rambling was really related..
but its nice to know that there are people out there who actually care for others..

love ya
xox

HSC
N/A
Go work out your life.

Depression is an oft-misused and oft-abused term; see a shrink or a therapist.
Miz Janani said:
It's easy enough to say go talk to a councellor or tell your friends/family. But it can be extremely difficult for someone with depression to admit it to anyone else..
TRUFAX: Friends and family aren't qualified or aren't impartial to the problem - in fact, they are often the causation.
Plus, cutting does not work.. Sure it gets rid of the pain temporarily but it does not get rid of the problem..
OMG NO SHIT.

Exercise decreases risk of depression. Science shows it. It must be true!

slip00knot

HSC
as a matter of fact.
i LOVE slipknot.
and im not joking.

but i found that when i listened to them non stop while trying to study i got depressed... nd felt hopeless then the lyrics didnt help...

vermilion part2. killed me.
but i love them, my fav band.

sorry for offending yu man.
its okay. none taken :) i respect ur opinion. i just dont find them depressing thats all. plus slipknot isn't even my fave band. i dont kno why i picked this username. avenged sevenfold is. sorry for over reacting earlier :)

nosh22

HSC
who actually gets depressed? its not the biggest thing in the world...thats my advice...the HSC doesnt mean shit

Unfortunately, the world is just a teeny tiny bit bigger and brighter than the people you know.

HSC
its okay. none taken :) i respect ur opinion. i just dont find them depressing thats all. plus slipknot isn't even my fave band. i dont kno why i picked this username. avenged sevenfold is. sorry for over reacting earlier :)

avenged sevenfold AGHH love them tooooo.

thanks for respecting my opinion, it something i dont get a lot on this site.
really annoying.

random question. do yu like hands of mercy?

baybeejulia

HSC
I do get depressed at times, but i believe that depression (in my case) arises from the fear of failing, only because i know im not well prepared. Bottom line is, i think the HSC only depresses those that arent on top of everything, and confident, hence study hard! So you know that you can walk into that exam and get a band 6.

kara42

HSC
Heaps of people get depressed. It's pretty damn common. 1 in 4 Australians will experience depression at some point during their lives.

It's a sad statistic,
but I think it might help people to feel like they are not alone.

What do you guys think?
lolpun

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
you seemed cooler than a civil engineer

im just saying at least you are in the correct school of engineering

jess.ford

HSC
Yeah, that is sometimes the best option I think. There are ways you can do your HSC over two or more years (ie 'Pathways', tafe, some youth centres offer HSC courses outside of school).

Plus, it's better to get through it slowly, than not at all, right?

I'm going my HSC using the pathway method due to illness and it has made it som much easier there is still alot of stress but thats part of the HSC but I just try and remember that the HSC is only 1 year (or in my case 2) of my whole life and I have so much to look foward to

slip00knot

HSC
avenged sevenfold AGHH love them tooooo.

thanks for respecting my opinion, it something i dont get a lot on this site.
really annoying.

random question. do yu like hands of mercy?
i've never actually heard of hands of mercy before. ever heard of parkway drive? i saw them live in december with a day to remember. i loved it :)

XPac2

HSC
I do ok with it. it doesn't keep me from keeping my work up to date.

sarsieisme

HSC
I can't help but agree with this, because you think of the consequences, "what will people think, they'll start talking", "I don't want people to make fuss". But mostly because it gets other people involved in your problem, which normally, you don't want. (excludes cry-outs for attention)

haha

I can't help it.

Sometimes the HSC just looks so unimportant compared to the problems in the world and the problems that people have as individuals.

I find it hard to think about the HSC a lot of the time, because I tend to have things in perspective so much that it kinda has a negatively impacts on me.

But that's the way I like it. Helping someone is about 1000000000 times more important than studying. I have no doubts about that.

So i'm cool with it....

I'm Happy to help. :)
One of my goals now, is to find someone like you (in person, because talking face to face is my 'thing'), and make them a lifelong friend =P

The 'sad statistic', sorry if it offends anyone, but when i recognised the pun, i had to laugh.

i guess this is my tip? :The HSC is only one of the paths you can take to reach your goals, if it crumbles, you can always think of alternatives (e.g TAFE, bridging courses, pathways, deferring studies)

my careers teacher told me that unis prefer applicants with more experience, they'll accept the older applicant over the younger (just out of yr12), because they have a certain higher level of commitment (less chance of dropping out halfway), and usually some experience in the field
(e.g. you want to go into veteriary science, you have studied vet nursing, you've done experience at a clinic etc... shows commitment)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)