Depth Study (1 Viewer)

Gryffindor

HSC
For Biology, I have to create a Depth Study focusing on an area of research from previously studied Module 2 (Organisation of Living Things).
I was thinking of researching "How does the shape of cells affect the exchange of substances?". However, I am unsure how exactly to test this? I was thinking of maybe getting agar and cutting it into varying shapes representing cells or something along the lines.. I honestly have no clue and so if anyone has any (better) ideas, help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

may22

HSC
I just recently completed my Depth Study, but it was on Module 3...if I think of anything useful regarding Module 2, I'll let you know! :)

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
I can’t offer any suggestions to test your query ‘How does the shape of cells affect the exchange of substances?‘

If however, you are still stuck for ideas, I wonder if mapping movement of dyed water in split celery stalks is a valid experiment design for module 2. If so, suggest splitting a single celery stalk and placing the two separate halves into differently coloured water (in two different containers) to observe whether the xylem supply specific parts of the plant.

In the second part of the experiment, again split single celery stalks, but instead of putting both halves in water, only place one half of the celery in dye and the other half leave without water (ie. only air). Observe if dye then gets to other parts of the plant (ie. are there connections between xylem that only become significant pathways when some xylem channels don’t have access to water). This will demonstrate whether or not plants have a collateral network, like the blood vessel anastomoses of the animal circulation.

Cut the celery in the different experiments in cross sections at different levels of your stalk to show the flow of dyed water through the vertical xylem +/- any connections between the xylem.

Please note, I haven’t performed this experiment, so I can’t guarantee success. There are internet sites that demonstrate expected findings to part 1 of the experiment, but I haven’t found any sites which demonstrate part 2.

Last edited:

may22

HSC
I can’t offer any suggestions to test your query ‘How does the shape of cells affect the exchange of substances?‘

If however, you are still stuck for ideas, I wonder if mapping movement of dyed water in split celery stalks is a valid experiment design for module 2. If so, suggest splitting a single celery stalk and placing the two separate halves into differently coloured water (in two different containers) to observe whether the xylem supply specific parts of the plant.

In the second part of the experiment, again split single celery stalks, but instead of putting both halves in water, only place one half of the celery in dye and the other half leave without water (ie. only air). Observe if dye then gets to other parts of the plant (ie. are there connections between xylem that only become significant pathways when some xylem channels don’t have access to water). This will demonstrate whether or not plants have a collateral network, like the blood vessel anastomoses of the animal circulation.

Cut the celery in the different experiments in cross sections at different levels of your stalk to show the flow of dyed water through the vertical xylem +/- any connections between the xylem.

Please note, I haven’t performed this experiment, so I can’t guarantee success. There are internet sites that demonstrate expected findings to part 1 of the experiment, but I haven’t found any sites which demonstrate part 2.

Oooh I've heard about the experiment. I haven't done it myself, but my teacher mentioned it in class once. Apparently it works well and is fun to observe 🤷‍♀️

lucygoosy

HSC
For Biology, I have to create a Depth Study focusing on an area of research from previously studied Module 2 (Organisation of Living Things).
I was thinking of researching "How does the shape of cells affect the exchange of substances?". However, I am unsure how exactly to test this? I was thinking of maybe getting agar and cutting it into varying shapes representing cells or something along the lines.. I honestly have no clue and so if anyone has any (better) ideas, help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
[/QUOTE]

I wonder if you could cut agar into different shapes and do that experiment where it changes colour. you could cut the agar into different shapes for e.g. one a cube, on a rectangle like a leaf but they're all the same mass, which will show the exchange of substances into the "cell" and the amount of time it takes for different shapes.

may22

HSC
I wonder if you could cut agar into different shapes and do that experiment where it changes colour. you could cut the agar into different shapes for e.g. one a cube, on a rectangle like a leaf but they're all the same mass, which will show the exchange of substances into the "cell" and the amount of time it takes for different shapes.
I guess surface area would also obviously apply here

Gryffindor

HSC

Both of these would have been so interesting to test. The celery prac would have been amazing to investigate as it directly tests a dot point in the module (transport within plants).

My teacher actually ended up recommending I do a prac on chemical digestion as no one else was and so I just ended up doing that (Just handed it in this morning!). Thank you both for taking the time to reply though, I really appreciate it !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)