Design and Perform a FirstHand Investigation (2 Viewers)

jasmineerrosee

HSC
I got my first senior science task.
I have to design and perform a firsthand investigation to compare the solubility of capsules, tablets, enteric coated tablets and slow release tablets.
I honestly do not know where to start...

Papercutter

HSC
That task basically wants you to gather a bunch of medications in different dispensing forms and compare their solubilities by testing them in solvents.

In an ideal world you would only test one type of medication in varying forms (e.g. asprin tablet, enteric coated aspirin, slow release aspirin etc.). But that is quite difficult so that would be a variable you'd have to consider when writing your report.

Essentially what I did was test how long it took for the tablets/capsules/slow release etc. to completely dissolve into equal amounts of water, 1.0M HCl and 1.0M NaOH. The results (time taken) were recorded in a table for easy comparison.

Some controls to include: amount of solvent, temperature, stopwatch used...

Good luck.

jasmineerrosee

HSC
Once we design and perform the practical part, we have to answer in class a series of results, questions and conclusions, how would i prepare for that?

moe1351

HSC
hi jasmine so this is how ill go about the experiment
so name the three tablets (TABLET A) = enteric coated (TABLET B)= aspirin and (TABLET C) = slow release tablets
this experiment may be conducted in many forms and thus different apparatus will be used in your method
the most frequent way of conducting this experiment is in difference PH levels using a stopwatch to record the time
so each tablet will be placed in different solvents basic solution and hydrocholric acid
this should be your results
TABLET A: ( enteric coated)dissolves in 3.5 minutes in basic solution which is the PH of the stomach while it took an hour to dissolve in neutral and acidic conditions.
conclusion: due to the knowledge of solubility this drug designed to resist the acidic conditions of the stomach and start to dissolve in alkaline conditions of the small intestine this is due to the irritation that can occur to the walls of the stomach and destroy the drug

TABLET B: (aspirin)was more soluble in acidic/ neutral conditions (1.25 to 1.30 minutes) then in basic solution more then an hour
conclusion: the pain killing drug is designed to be dissolved rapidly in the blood stream to relieve a person from pain rapidly

TABLET C: (slow release) was insoluble in acidic and neutral conditions and took long to dissolve in basic solution
conclusion:the drug is designed for a sustained release of medication over a prolonged period of tine eg: for relief of constant pain where the medication taken in large doses may be harmful

what you may be asked so a dotpoint called Explain why a knowledge of the solubility of materials can be used to design drugs for specific tasks is for this experiment what you basically answer
is a knowledge of solubility has lead to enteric coated tablets and your answer explanation for enteric coated will be my conclusion same goes for aspirin and same goes for slow release
you may be asked for safety precautions eg: wear safety glasses due to the hydrochloric acid or the measuring cylinder can shatter must be handled by care the tablets must be disposed because they are toxic...
you may be asked is the experiment valid well yes you used the same amount of solvent for each liquid you used the percentage of medication for each tablet this is basically your varibles
was it reliable yes repeated three times with 5 groups in your class and consistent results
was you experiment accurate yes used stopwatch and labeled each tablets
and disadvantages human error using the stop watch was not timed in the exact minutes may be 10.02 the experiment may not be the exact the amount of MLs measured
good luck this is all they can ask you to record the results you will draw a table and tabulate it using a column graph eg: title tablet taken to dissolve vs different ph levels

moe1351

HSC
sorry for tablet A it dissolves 3.5 minutes in the ph of the small intestine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)