Design Specs (1 Viewer)

Fly Kite

HSC
ive only got a crappy textbook to go thru for the exam on next tuesday adn i dont get the design specs adn what its supposed to do and what it componants really are.
i know theres are scope, data design, overall design of the program, interface design, cross-referencing and implenting and testing.
is this topic even important(ie coming in the hsc?)

Graceofgod

HSC
Design specifications
• the developer’s perspective in consideration of:
– data types
– algorithms
– variables
• the user’s perspective

Direct from the syllabus =D

I haven't seen any of those things you listed in the syllabus. However, they may be helpful for detail and understanding of this point.

Edit: Yeah just checked in textbook, this is a minor dot-point. It uses up 2 pages total just describing the developers and user's perspective and differentiating between them.

I.e.

Developers' perspective - Find out things to assist in design of the program, ie data types needed etc. (see above)

User's perspective - Any specs that influence the experience of the end user.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Fly Kite

HSC
woah thank you
i never knew it was such a small thing.
do u think its better to study off the textbook or to somehow study off the syllabus if i can scab notes from somewhere?

Graceofgod

HSC
Fly Kite said:
woah thank you
i never knew it was such a small thing.
do u think its better to study off the textbook or to somehow study off the syllabus if i can scab notes from somewhere?
I find for SDD it is important not to take the textbook as bible.
I don't think it is very easy to study from the syllabus either, and it is too late to write notes on the whole syllabus now.
I suggest getting some other people's syllabus notes and going back to the textbook for parts where you need further understanding.

The textbook is there to teach you the vital concepts (understanding)
Remember that the HSC doesn't test the textbook, but the syllabus.

Fly Kite

HSC
i found an excel book and i think if i use it and the textbook, i guess ill be fine. ty =)

Fly Kite

HSC
anyway off the topic
i was doing the 2006 paper and i got to q21)c)ii) where it asks to compare and contrast the structure chart and system flowchart
i know what the charts represent but it also needs its purpose of each type of diagram in response to software development. (example in answers was that structure charts aid programmers...)
is there like info on what the purpose of all the charts are or do u have to bs it?

Graceofgod

HSC
Fly Kite said:
anyway off the topic
i was doing the 2006 paper and i got to q21)c)ii) where it asks to compare and contrast the structure chart and system flowchart
i know what the charts represent but it also needs its purpose of each type of diagram in response to software development. (example in answers was that structure charts aid programmers...)
is there like info on what the purpose of all the charts are or do u have to bs it?
From the syllabus:

That question is directly testing a "students learn to:" dot point:
differentiate between the different forms of systems documentation and the purposes for which each is intended
As you have said, you understand what each one does, I assume it would be in all textbooks?

From Davis textbook:
System flowcharts are used at a higher level than the other modelling techniques to show an overall view of the entire system.
In terms of software development, structure diagrams describe the top-down design of the program together with the order in which sub-processes are called.....The primary function of a structure diagram is to create a template in preparation for the creation of the actual source code.
In terms of your actual question you could just compare each of these.
For example when they are used in the software development cycle, and explain why this is (how broad they are etc.)

Last edited:

Fly Kite

HSC
like i know what the charts/diagram are describing ie a context diagram is to reperesent an entire information system and etc which is on the course specifications

its the 2nd part that i dont know
which is who and how will use these diagrams/charts
ie "for example, the use of the structure chart to aid programmers in understanding the modules to be developed and the data passed between modules"
thanks grace are u studying for sdd?

Graceofgod

HSC
Fly Kite said:
like i know what the charts/diagram are describing ie a context diagram is to reperesent an entire information system and etc which is on the course specifications

its the 2nd part that i dont know
which is who and how will use these diagrams/charts
ie "for example, the use of the structure chart to aid programmers in understanding the modules to be developed and the data passed between modules"
thanks grace are u studying for sdd?
Ahh right. Hold on. Just to clarify you are asking what each person involved in the software design process does? Ie systems analyst, programmer project leader etc?

If so; this is mainly found in the preliminary course.

Yes I have been studying SDD and Physics for the last week. (More focus on physics though)

Last edited:

Fly Kite

HSC
nah im just saying like 1 use by 1 type of software developer for each diagram
guess im better of. im only doing sdd this yr but i still have stuff i havent studied 4...

Graceofgod

HSC
Fly Kite said:
nah im just saying like 1 use by 1 type of software developer for each diagram
guess im better of. im only doing sdd this yr but i still have stuff i havent studied 4...
Well, you've lost me :)

Ah, I just noticed hsc 2010 :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)