Desktop brands (1 Viewer)

IMTB

HSC
hey I am looking for a new comp, just want some advice on whats the good stuff out there. Is dell a really good brand? cheers:wave:

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Dont get Dell lol, go for a Lenovo/IBM computer. But they cost a little bit more compare to a Dell. If your not after anything fancy, just look for one with good price, but dont buy random unknown brands.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
or you can just build your own computer, depending on what you use it for, for a price way less than dell and ibm/lenovo

blah88

HSC
azn_gangsta81 said:
or you can just build your own computer, depending on what you use it for, for a price way less than dell and ibm/lenovo
amen

IMTB

HSC
I would get my fd to bulid it for me but its hsc time so who can be bothered? and ppls who just finished hsc r overseas...I need a computer to be the backup in case my current oldddddd comp crashes...:D so which brand????

fatmuscle

HSC
if you're a simple computer user, and wanting a pc for home use - dell is the way to go.

the service and support they give is worth it if things go wrong - which is likely to happen no matter where you buy your PC's from.

building one yourself would be preferrable, but if you don't know what you're doing, there's no point.

I dunno about lenovo' support. but i do agree that their make of computers is greater than dell and hp.

when buying though - do watch out for the crap they love to add in - such as free trial software.

ps. norton antivirus sucks!

IMTB

HSC
fatmuscle said:
if you're a simple computer user, and wanting a pc for home use - dell is the way to go.

the service and support they give is worth it if things go wrong - which is likely to happen no matter where you buy your PC's from.

building one yourself would be preferrable, but if you don't know what you're doing, there's no point.

I dunno about lenovo' support. but i do agree that their make of computers is greater than dell and hp.

when buying though - do watch out for the crap they love to add in - such as free trial software.

ps. norton antivirus sucks!
hehehe norton sux I agree! what do u mean by their make of computers?

HSC
Buy HP/Compaq or Dell but make sure you got that on site warranty. I bought HP computer Compaq presario and had to replace the keyboard. My warranty does not include on site warranty or collection by HP so I had to make an 1 hr trip to Prospect to get it replaced although its free.

PS forget about building yourself, leave it to the expert. All the time, hard work, headache and money you'll have to spend wont be worth the savings ;)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Buy the parts from www.msy.com.au, then pay the extra for them to build it for you.

Indian Princess said:
PS forget about building yourself, leave it to the expert. All the time, hard work, headache and money you'll have to spend wont be worth the savings ;)
I built my first one when I was 10, took me about 3 hours and worked perfectly first go. It's really not that hard.

HSC
withoutaface said:
Buy the parts from www.msy.com.au, then pay the extra for them to build it for you.

I built my first one when I was 10, took me about 3 hours and worked perfectly first go. It's really not that hard.
I doubt that. I don't think you'll be strong enough at age 10 to insert/pull out the those ATA cables into HDD and CD drive. I really discourage building it yourself unless its your hobby cause it is quite complex. I am being realistic here girl.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
1. Open case.
2. Shove motherboard in.
3. Put processor and heatsink on.
4. Insert RAM.
5. Insert video card.
6. Mount drives.
7. Connect their cables.
8. Connect wires from front of case.
9. ???
10. Profit.

Also you'd have to be pretty fucking weak to be unable to insert an ATA cable :S

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
withoutaface said:
yeps agreed, you should just get msy do build it for you if dont wanna do it youreself

HSC
withoutaface said:
1. Open case.
2. Shove motherboard in.
4. Insert RAM.
5. Insert video card.
6. Mount drives.
7. Connect their cables.
9. ???
10. Profit.

Also you'd have to be pretty fucking weak to be unable to insert an ATA cable :S
If it is that easy as you try to portray everyone would be building their own pc. The fact is it is not. For a person (probably 99.9% of general population) who have never seen a processor or the inside of a PC no matter how familiar they are with the use of computer; it is a difficult task. There are many compatibility issue with motherboard and processor, motherboard and type of RAM, and finding the correct slot to insert RAM, trying to set jumpers on your HDD and setting master and slave. It is NOT easy. I have not seen or heard a 10 yrs old building his own pc I think you are confused with building a sand castle 10 years ago?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
She will not need to set jumpers on her HDD because she will only have one of them.

And as for the rest of it, we have guides such as this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/20/how_to_build_part_1/
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/04/choosing-the-right-vender/
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/14/how-to-build-a-pc-part-3/

For that purpose. It tells you what parts are what, and what you need for which kind of motherboard. It tells you where to buy from and where not to buy from. It even has 1000 pretty pictures of how to do everything, so nobody has any excuse for being unable to identify a RAM slot.

It's not self evident what goes where, but with a guide it's not hard.

EDIT:
Ten year-old becomes Microsoft engineer

Arfa Karim Randhawa meets Bill and is given a tour of Redmond
Iain Thomson, vnunet.com 15 Jul 2005
ADVERTISEMENT
Click here to find out more!

Arfa Karim Randhawa, aged 10, has become the youngest person to be certified as a Microsoft engineer.

Randhawa passed her Microsoft Certified Professional examinations last year. She met Bill Gates this week and was taken on a tour of Microsoft's Redmond campus.

The 10 year-old, from Faisalabad in Pakistan, asked Gates why children were not allowed to work for Microsoft and was told that they should concentrate on their school studies.

But he explained that Microsoft has an intern programme which would be available to her once she reached high school level.

Randhawa also asked why there are so few women in the company, suggesting that Microsoft should have an equal number of men and women.

Gates replied that it is sometimes difficult to get women interested in technology.

After first discovering computers at the age of five Randhawa pestered her father for a PC. She has been accepted into Pakistan's Applied Technologies advanced computer institute.

Randhawa is now a Microsoft Certified Application Developer but plans to become a Microsoft Certified Solution Developer, which involves building programs into broader systems for business.

In the longer term she has her sights set on Harvard, or a career at Microsoft.
source

I'd say she can build a computer.

Last edited:

sladehk

le random
HSC
www.excelcomputers.com.au
has GREAT 500 deal and a fantastic 1500 deal too
very good value, even won some pc mag award
too bad im forced to buy a notebook for uni

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
withoutaface said:
1. Open case.
2. Shove motherboard in.
4. Insert RAM.
5. Insert video card.
6. Mount drives.
7. Connect their cables.
9. ???
10. Profit.

Put the CPU and RAM in first before placing the motherboard into the case. Makes life a whole lot easier.

Putting in ATA and Molex connectors are alright. Sometimes they get stuck and take a lot of effort to pull out.

On a modern PC, there are no motherboard jumpers to set (unless you're a power user). The hard drive can just be left on cable select.

kow_dude

HSC
I've been reading a couple of threads and there seems to be a lot of negativity towards DELL.

I am forecasting that i am getting a new computer soon and the DELL brand is always first in mind. Is DELL most approapriate for users who are using the PC nothing more than simple activities such as word processing?

HSC
kow_dude said:
I've been reading a couple of threads and there seems to be a lot of negativity towards DELL.

I am forecasting that i am getting a new computer soon and the DELL brand is always first in mind. Is DELL most approapriate for users who are using the PC nothing more than simple activities such as word processing?
if there's something wrong with a computer from dell, it will take an age to get it fixed. i'm not exaggerating either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)