desperate advice needed...anyone? (1 Viewer)

ctkid

HSC
i need help desperately...possibly just confirmation....
i got 85.30, my two course choices require 85.05 and 85.25 as of last year...they are commerce courses in macquarie uni

i am 0.25 more than my first choice and 0.05 above my second...what are my chances of gettin into atleast one of these courses?
slim? business expected to go up? or down?
anyone with solid ideas?

Last edited:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
First of all, don't stress. The UAI is the lowest accepted entry from the previous year. If you go back over previous years - and I believe it does so in the UAC book - you can see the trend in the UAI. Getting into the course will depend a lot upon popularity and demand for that course as tht's what infucence the cut-offs, but there are other ways of doing what you want. If go do not get into the course you want, it may be possible to enrol in another course at the same university and carry over at the end of your first year so that you're in the course you want. I don't know MQ's policy on this, but to increase the odds of them letting you cross over, you should enrol in something that is very similar. Another alternative is to defer for a year and enrol in the same course at the end of 2008 as the UAI may have come down by then. While the UAI means nothing after about two weeks (believe me, no-one cares what it is once you get to university), it's still valid for some time. The worst thing you can do it get worked up: simply enrol in the courses you want and if you don't make, you don't make it. Then it's time to consider your options.

Drmon

Optimistic Cynic
HSC
There is little chance of PREDICTING them, all you can do is apply for them in preference order - thats why you have 9 preferences.

Just put them down in order - no harm can come to you for it. Not putting them down would just kill your chances down to 0%.

ctkid

HSC
iv got a cadetship at a small firm in the city and for me to guarantee a placement...i need to get in straight entry or i lose my cadetship at nexiacourt

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
ctkid said:
iv got a cadetship at a small firm in the city and for me to guarantee a placement...i need to get in straight entry or i lose my cadetship at nexiacourt
Do you have a backup plan? Because if you don't, you're going to find yourself up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

ctkid

HSC
so you are saying there is a good chance i will miss out

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
ctkid said:
so you are saying there is a good chance i will miss out
No, I'm saying that if you don't have a Plan B, you're fucked.

See, you've put all your eggs in the one basket and while you may well get into the course you want, you apparently haven't put any thought into what you're going to do if you don't get the UAI you want/need. You get nine preferences for a reason. Now while I'm not saying you stand a snowflake's chance in hell of getting into the course, what I am saying is that you need to have some idea of what you're going to do in the worst-case scenario. And right now it appears tat you haven't thought of this, so if you don't get into your course, you're going to get left behind by everybody else. Like I said, you get nine preferences for a reason. Make sure you use all of them.

ctkid

HSC
i have put nine preferences in but none of the others will get me my cadetship...all those will allow me study similar course but by missing out on cadetship...i will be going to uni next year but the issue do you personally think i will be a safe bet with those marks to get my cadetship or will i miss out

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
ctkid said:
i have put nine preferences in but none of the others will get me my cadetship...all those will allow me study similar course but by missing out on cadetship...i will be going to uni next year but the issue do you personally think i will be a safe bet with those marks to get my cadetship or will i miss out
Honestly ... I have no idea which way it's going to go because you're so very close to the cut-off. Look back on the 2005 and 2004 (if you can find them) cut-offs as they're usually a pretty good idea as to where this year's marks will fall. If they're decreasing or fairly stable, you should be alright. If they've increased only slightly, you might be in with a chance. But if they increase by anything more than maybe four or five points, I wouldn't be holding my breath. But whatever you do, don't take my word as gospel.

ctkid

HSC
hmm they have been falling for the last two years by around a point or 2

HSC
Because you are so close it is really hard to predict =S You'll just need to wait and see...i guess the suspence will be killing you xD

but yeah as stated before, there is a chance you could get it, but also a chance you do not...as long as you have a backup that you'll be reasonably satisfied with then you're good to go :)

That is all you can really do for now anyway right?

miss-smexy

HSC
I'm sure you can discuss your options with the firm. Moore Stephens offered me many different options so maybe Nexia Court will be similar! Umm how come you can't go to UWS and do commerce there?! Can you do the HSC PLUS program at UNSW and get into that course?

pinknails500

HSC
Yep I think you will be fine, and what usually happens is that sometimes they increase or lower the UAI depending on demand. If high demand they will select those who have applied with higher UAI's but as my careers advisor told me you will generally find the UAI indicated in UAC is pretty accurate in most cases so I wouldnt worry, goodluck!!

litany

Helpfool
HSC
miss-smexy said:
I'm sure you can discuss your options with the firm. Moore Stephens offered me many different options so maybe Nexia Court will be similar! Umm how come you can't go to UWS and do commerce there?! Can you do the HSC PLUS program at UNSW and get into that course?
UWS as an option is open, however UNSW is out of the question. His UAI is 85.30, and HSC Plus only awards up to 5 bonus UAI; the Commerce course at UNSW is 95.10ish.

miss-smexy

HSC
Did you do that test at Macq uni... some aptitude one last month for alternate methods of entry into your course?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)