• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

DESPERATE HELP: Hamlet Q's last minute. (1 Viewer)

HSC
1. Identify and explain the 3 distinct forms of context as presented in Hamlet (6 marks). What are the 3 distinct forms of context presented in Hamlet? (Religious context? Political Context? or is more Elizabethan Context? I'm confused.) Also, how would you explain each one?

2. Identify and explain two main reasons why reader's should investigate and consider the original context (the context from which a text emerged) when thinking about its meaning? (2 marks) So why should we consider the Elizabethan context when thinking about its meaning?

3. The reader brings two different types of experiences to the reading process. Identify these two types of experiences and reflect upon why they might be relevant to reading and understanding your prescribed text. (2 marks). What are the examples of these two specific types of experiences in the reading process? (wtf question, ignore it if it's vague).

4. Discuss how the approach outlined in this lecture affects your critical study of your prescribed text, its techniques and its relevance to a reader in 2009. You must base your response upon any two of the three distinctive forms of context presented in this lecture. You should refer closely to your prescribed text. (10 marks). I'd be completely stumped for this question if it was in an exam. How would you plan it and answer it?

I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE IT FOR THE REST OF MY HSC LIFE IF YOU ASSIST ME! YOU WILL BE REMEMBERED. THANK YOU

Last edited:

bugboy

HSC
Hey

Elizabethan - this is the period in time when Shakespeare wrote the play. It was 1600, Queen Elizabeth was in charge of England, there was threat of conflict with the Spanish Armada during her reign and all sorts of juicy things going on - not to mention that she was a she and really at that time other countries were ruled by men.

Religion- Henry (Elizabeth's father)had created the Church of England - before that the country was Catholic as was most of Europe. Religion dominated and drove politics. So for England to take on its own church caused rpoblems, buig problems with surroudning coutnries. IT also led to peopel in England having to cover up that they were Catholic - Shakespeare's father had to do this, Ibelieve.

Contemporary - think about where you could set this play now to pick up on these key issues: relationship with parents, girlfriends, between countries. What if Hamlet was Prince William today? Or if he was the son of a majo world businessman....

Check out this holiday programme:

The Hamlet Seminar - Seymour Theatre Centre - The University of Sydney

cassiecocaine

HSC
Where did you get those questions from? I couldn't answer any of them off the top of my head; now you've made me frightened, haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)