Desperately need advice from 3/4/5 year Law students (1 Viewer)

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hey, sorry your plan didn't work out. i'm coping with 5 units/sem workload so far, its stressful but doable - but i think i'm only saying this cause 2 of the units i'm doing now have no course reader and there's no regular lecture/tutorial! i'm doing remedies atm, it's mind-numbingly boring, theres a lot of readings to get through and a lot of assignments (class participation, 2 take home exams and major essay). i find it a bit conceptually difficult because black letter law and i don't mix :haha:

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
hey, sorry your plan didn't work out. i'm coping with 5 units/sem workload so far, its stressful but doable - but i think i'm only saying this cause 2 of the units i'm doing now have no course reader and there's no regular lecture/tutorial! i'm doing remedies atm, it's mind-numbingly boring, theres a lot of readings to get through and a lot of assignments (class participation, 2 take home exams and major essay). i find it a bit conceptually difficult because black letter law and i don't mix :haha:
Hey misericordia! Just the person I wanted to hear from lol.. Well the thing is I'm going overseas tomorrow until the 18th. I was doing absolutely fine and I was on top of all of my readings and even ahead a bit for some classes. I'm not sure if you recall, but I'm doing International, Constitutional law and Admin 1, Property and Ethics/Law, Lawyers and Society.

This week has been hellish, I've been scrambling to keep up to date on my readings before I leave, I've had two quizzes and an assignment due and I'm leaving tomorrow. So you can only imagine... And even with all of that I was doing fine until I had another look at the unit outlines last night and realised that the week after I get back I have 3 essays due each one worth 40-50%. And that was the tipping point for me.. I'm dropping International Law - it's not a difficult subject its just that the readings for it are so long and I don't particularly enjoy them. Plus with the free time I can do some volunteer work/get some experience or focus more on the other subjects.

Since you're so far ahead of me, I was hoping you (or anyone else!) might have a look at the attachment below it's basically just my current enrolment schedule and on the other page is my proposed enrolment schedule to better distribute my load (make it easier for myself).. Maybe you can give me some advice on how to better arrange things..?

I've tried to talk to the academic advisors but it seems they've forgotten what it's like to be students lol

PS: None of the electives are set in stone, feel free to suggest anything you've enjoyed in the past or present lol

View attachment structure2.doc

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
maybe do bus org after this year? i heard from 2 of my friends that frank will not be teaching after this year. and for taxation you get 2% assignment (2 pages apparently?) each week to complete, so it does involve some work. im doing discrimination and the law atm - 10% cp, 40% essay, 50% take home exam. therese mcdermott is a great lecturer.

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
maybe do bus org after this year? i heard from 2 of my friends that frank will not be teaching after this year. and for taxation you get 2% assignment (2 pages apparently?) each week to complete, so it does involve some work. im doing discrimination and the law atm - 10% cp, 40% essay, 50% take home exam. therese mcdermott is a great lecturer.
Wow! This is the last year frank is teaching? I might just put it off till next year in that case... lol I had to do 1% assignments every week for crim and they were like 7 hours of research, i'm not about to do that again.. So I guess I'll be dropping tax law. I LOVE the big research type subjects so I may very well consider doing discrimination and the law... but is the class mostly girls lol? I think therese is also the convener for Juris...

So I take it by your comments you think the second "proposed" structure is better - with the exception of Taxation?

Thanks for taking the time to look by the way

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Theres some boys in my discrimination tute, but with law i think theres more girls than boys in general? not sure. second structure does seem better b/c there is a high likelihood that bus org will not be taught by him. but your sem 2 subjects (for both first and second) i havent done any of them except for bus org so i cant really help you with that though. others like atlas might be able to help you with that.

forevaunited

HSC
I am looking here for general advice re 4/5th year electives. Tossing up between IP and Sucession. The others im doing next semester are foundations of commercial law and litigation.

Thank you to the person who posted the IP unit guide before, good to get an idea of how it is structured.

But does anyone have some general thoughts on succession? It seems like a fairly practical course, similar to Taxation (which I did terribly in). But it seems really interesting and I want to do it. Anyone know whether its a sit-down or take-home?
Cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)