Desperately need help on subjects - should i drop chemistry for ancient history (1 Viewer)

TrainXIV

HSC
I hav a major problem here.
Right now i hav chemistry as my subject. Im doing it for the sake of needing it in the uni for my med course. The thing is, I love ancient history but it falls on the same line as chemistry. So u guess it. I cant do ancient cuz i hav chemistry. So what do u think people?

Thanks in advance

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You don't 'need' Chemistry - I believe it's just recommended, and even then, you can still do a bridging course for it. At the end of the day - it comes down to what you really want. Do you want to do Ancient History? Or Chemistry?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
You don't 'need' Chemistry - I believe it's just recommended, and even then, you can still do a bridging course for it. At the end of the day - it comes down to what you really want. Do you want to do Ancient History? Or Chemistry?
+1

If you're really worried, just read a HSC chem book in the holidays after the HSC - you have an entire 3 months to do it and the HSC course isn't that hard :)

btw ur signature said u reached 99 ATAR. Good job. How
did u do it?
I basically estimated what ranks i'd need and when doing assessments, esimated what mark i'd need to get that certain rank and only did enough to get that. So i went for the efficient method but that carries a lot of risk if you miscalculate what you need to do etc etc. I only did it because i like to use the least amount of effort possible and i'm good at estimating.

You should NOT do what i did and work your arse off :karate:

Schoey93

HSC
Ancient definitely but i just need chemistry for my med course

btw ur signature said u reached 99 ATAR. Good job. How
did u do it?

LOL you're such a noob...awww:jump:

Well ... Bachelor of Medicine (B Med) and more popular but identical MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery) course have NO PREREQUISITES

and HSC Biology is more relevant to medicine than chemistry anyway...so choose Ancient History

And
"assumed knowledge" does not mean "you should definitely do this course or else..." okay? Careers advisors lie/are ignorant just so you know

Schoey93

HSC
+1

If you're really worried, just read a HSC chem book in the holidays after the HSC - you have an entire 3 months to do it and the HSC course isn't that hard :)

I basically estimated what ranks i'd need and when doing assessments, esimated what mark i'd need to get that certain rank and only did enough to get that. So i went for the efficient method but that carries a lot of risk if you miscalculate what you need to do etc etc. I only did it because i like to use the least amount of effort possible and i'm good at estimating.

Anna, estimating isn't an art ... pretty much any good Year 7-8 maths student can do it if they knoww the relevant prereq'd facts

Schoey93

HSC
Anna, estimating isn't an art ... pretty much any good Year 7-8 maths student can do it if they knoww the relevant prereq'd facts
Agreed. And I'm getting the hang of multiquote,yay! :skip:

TrainXIV

HSC
LOL you're such a noob...awww:jump:

Well ... Bachelor of Medicine (B Med) and more popular but identical MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery) course have NO PREREQUISITES

and HSC Biology is more relevant to medicine than chemistry anyway...so choose Ancient History

And
"assumed knowledge" does not mean "you should definitely do this course or else..." okay? Careers advisors lie/are ignorant just so you know
Yeah im actually a high level noob. I listen to pretty much everythin the career teacher said.
Damn career teacher.

TrainXIV

HSC
+1

Work my arse off? Im pretty lazy u kno So i might try to do ur art of estimating. Lol
but anyway thanks for the good advice

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I never said it was an art =='

I merely said that you have to be careful when estimating as you have to take into account all scenarios. There are no set facts when it comes to people's maximum capablities and that makes estimating the amount of work you need to do dangerous. Hence me discouraging anyone else employing the same method that i did.

I highly doubt "any good Year 7-8 maths student" as they'd most likely overlook several scenarios. They might have a good chance if they knew "relevant prereq'd facts" but the chances of them possessing such knowledge is slim.

Work my arse off? Im pretty lazy u kno So i might try to do ur art of estimating. Lol
but anyway thanks for the good advice
You're a lazy one too eh? XD
Well as i said, be careful. The best approach would be to probably pace yourself well - ignore other people and just pace yourself :)

Have you decided whether you're dropping or not yet?

Last edited:

Lukybear

HSC
Yeah im actually a high level noob. I listen to pretty much everythin the career teacher said.
Damn career teacher.
It is highly recommended that you study chemistry, at least to get into UNSW. The only pre-req is English Standard. But dif unis have different reqs. Check it out yourself.

You would be better off doing Chemistry, as it is a vital compoenent to MBBS.

TrainXIV

HSC
I never said it was an art =='

I merely said that you have to be careful when estimating as you have to take into account all scenarios. There are no set facts when it comes to people's maximum capablities and that makes estimating the amount of work you need to do dangerous. Hence me discouraging anyone else employing the same method that i did.

I highly doubt "any good Year 7-8 maths student" as they'd most likely overlook several scenarios. They might have a good chance if they knew "relevant prereq'd facts" but the chances of them possessing such knowledge is slim.

You're a lazy one too eh? XD
Well as i said, be careful. The best approach would be to probably pace yourself well - ignore other people and just pace yourself :)

Have you decided whether you're dropping or not yet?
Yeah im quite lazy. like seriously even though somehow my scores are good. X
but do not worry. i will be careful. Damn u gimme such a good advice. Bleach fan helps other Bleach fan i suppose. ^^

hmmm. After a good think about it, I actually will keep chemistry. I know i love ancient history so much, but at the end my study for my medicine would always need chemistry. And beside i can always look at ancient history stuff on my frees. ^^

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
you don't 'need' chemistry - i believe it's just recommended, and even then, you can still do a bridging course for it. At the end of the day - it comes down to what you really want. Do you want to do ancient history? Or chemistry?
+1

micuzzo

HSC
y wuld hsc chem b needed in uni... hsc chem is soo generic anyway [well not that i no more than hsc chem] u just go thru topics thats it.. im pretty sure it wuldnt matter whether or not u did it in hsc for uni, well imo anyways

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
but do not worry. i will be careful. Damn u gimme such a good advice. Bleach fan helps other Bleach fan i suppose. ^^

hmmm. After a good think about it, I actually will keep chemistry. I know i love ancient history so much, but at the end my study for my medicine would always need chemistry. And beside i can always look at ancient history stuff on my frees. ^^
Since you said you're lazy, your love for ancient history could motivate your a lot more than the need for chemistry (which isn't absolutely necessary anyway). Up to you though, you sound decided =)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

LOl. Unless you've been paying attention and noting how others have been performing since like year 8, don't take my efficient way of getting a high ATAR XD

Yeah, keep chem then. You can always read up on ancient like you said :)

0bs3n3

HSC
Unless you've been paying attention and noting how others have been performing since like year 8
I don't know whether that is amazing or sad :p

I think you should go with what you like best. Which in this case seems to be Ancient. As someone pointed out, quite correctly, you said you aren't usually motivated and Ancient would probably keep you engaged for longer as you also said you're more interested in it.

Whatever choice you make, as long as you're happy with it. Good luck in your senior years!

TrainXIV

HSC
LOl. Unless you've been paying attention and noting how others have been performing since like year 8, don't take my efficient way of getting a high ATAR XD

Yeah, keep chem then. You can always read up on ancient like you said :)
Oh whoops. I dont think i paid any attention to anything. Lol

yep chem sounds good. Just out of interest, not like i will do it anything, does bachelor of ancient history needs us to do ancient in our senior?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)