DET policies that you may not have known... (1 Viewer)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
me121: Do you really think plagiarism is right?
If you do: LOL!
I don't like to to discuss this further in this thread because its not what I was originally posting about. But I can't separate the post into separate threads. You should know better than to believe what they say. I don't think it is right. I think it is morally wrong. However, my point of argument is that what some people consider plagiarism, I don't, or more specifically, yes its plagiarism but I don't see a problem with it. Here is my example,

say in the HSC physics exam you get a question that you have seen before in a CSSA paper. also, just say you have memorised the 6 mark answer provided by the CSSA, i think you should be allowed to regurgitate this response, and not be punished for this.

That is pretty much the only time I think it should be allowed.

But my whole point of argument, is there is conflicting evidence of this policy documents.

boris

Banned
HSC
And what we're saying in response to that, is that regurgitating somebody elses answer (even if you're memorised it) is not showing the marker you have any knowledge of the topic whatsoever. What is the point of even sitting the exam?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
They'll occur in every school. But sure, lets all target Public Schools. But again, I challenge you to state the 90% of these things you witnessed.
* Excluding students from a lesson or activity, then leaving them unsupervised in corridors, classrooms or storerooms;

happened quite often. the teacher would send a student out into the corridor.

* Leaving a class unattended or dismissing students early from a lesson so that they are unsupervised;

almost every second day teachers let us leave early.. and pretty much every lesson the teacher would drop out to get his/her coffee, or roll, or photocopy something etc.

* Attempting to physically prevent a student from entering or leaving a classroom, unless there is a concern for the safety of the student, other students or staff;

not that often.. but once.. the teacher just stood at the door when we wanted to leave early and said wait till the bell.

* Pursuing a student who is attempting to run away unless that student is in immediate danger or is likely to harm another person;

only time i've seen this is when the kid taped drawing pins to his knuckles and ran around looking for some kid he wanted to beat up..

* Shouting angrily at students to intimidate them;

please don't tell me you have never been in a class where a teacher yells at you.

* Public disciplining or humiliating a student as punishment or as an example to other students;

lol.. once we had one of those student teachers.. it was cool cause when the normal teacher went out for a break, he started making fun of the trouble maker.. it was cool.

* Throwing an object, such as a duster, chalk, ball or book, at a student to get their attention;

usually its the other way around.

* Threatening students with physical punishment;

ok.. can't recall this.

* Corporal punishment, such as hitting, smacking or caning, of students is prohibited;

haven't seen this.

* Arranging activities or meetings alone with a student that are not within school guidelines or that are without the informed approval of a supervisor and, if appropriate, the parent or caregiver;

haven't seen.

* Putting your arms around students while instructing them on the computer;

happened in primary school..

* Developing a practice of cheek kissing as a greeting or for congratulating students;

haven't seen

* Allowing a student to sit on your lap;

n/a

* Undressing in front of a student, e.g., in PE or Activity Centre change rooms;

n/a

* Giving gifts or money to students as a reward or incentive for good behaviour or as a gesture of friendship;

in the lower years, our teacher always gave out lollies and stuff to good students.

* Telling jokes of a sexual nature;

they usually just make some small subtle comment when some others are talking about it.

* Making sexually suggestive remarks or actions, obscene gestures or showing inappropriate videos;

can't remember...

okay, maybe the 90% is slightly exaggerated.

boris said:
And what we're saying in response to that, is that regurgitating somebody elses answer (even if you're memorised it) is not showing the marker you have any knowledge of the topic whatsoever. What is the point of even sitting the exam?
what if you do totally understand what you wrote though?

boris

Banned
HSC
me121 said:
what if you do totally understand what you wrote though?
If you totally understand what you're writing, why the hell can't you write it in your own words? If you're doing it purely because you don't think your own response is band 6 worthy, then maybe you're just not a band 6 kid and stop kidding yourself. If you know what you're talking about regardless of using somebody else answer, there is no reason why you can't produce one of your own.

boris

Banned
HSC
An overlapping of information, not necessarily an overlapping of the exact same answer. If it's coincidental, then me. If you go in there with the intent of using somebody elses answer, to me it defeats the purpose and means you have no confidence in your own ability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)