Detente (1 Viewer)

Vuki

HSC
Hey,

I have an in class (so, 45 minutes ~ 1000 words) essay that I have to write out (assessment, and we get a page of notes).

The question is assess the effectiveness of detente. I know what detente was, but we have been taught nothing as we have had our trials and our teacher has become disgruntled towards our class as of late.

Could someone please outline the major issues I would have to look at to answer the above?

I really have no idea where to start, that's my problem, as we haven't learnt anything yet.

Thanks

Vuki

piecheck

HSC
N/A
awwww..no one helped this guy out!..shame on u bos users!...can someone reply to that post..lol..cos its pretty much exactly what im looking at for my mod assesment..pretty please!..be nice :) thanx in advance

HSC
ummm...well, you should look at the nuclear treaties that were signed between 1969-79...so SALT 1 and II, and I think an anti ballistic missile (ABM) treaty was signed as well. The Helsinki Conference in 1975 is a good case study to show some of the progress that was made...as was the policy of Ostpolitik in Germany. Ummm...You could also look at the improvement in the relationship between commie China and the US - there were a couple of summit meetings, and their relationship was improved through 'ping-pong diplomacy' (remember that scene from Forest Gump? ;) ).

But then on the other hand, the Vietnam War continued throughout much of detente, and the progress that SALT I made is questionable, and SALT II wasn't even passed by US congress. Also, the USSR policy of 'peaceful coexistence' was based on the premise that communism was inherently superior to capitalism, and that the Soviet system would defeat the West economically without having to resort to military warfare.

I hope this helps - you'll need to do some more research to pad out these ideas, but I think those are the main issues raised in detente.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)