Detergent structures (1 Viewer)

Frie

Wannabe Inventor
HSC
What's the structure for anionic detergent head, some of my notes say its O-SO2-O- but others say its SO3-? There is a benzene ring before the sulfonate group in each case.

Also unsure about structure of non-ionic detergents.

How would you describe the structure of non-ionic in an exam?

hamstar

HSC
What's the structure for anionic detergent head, some of my notes say its O-SO2-O- but others say its SO3-? There is a benzene ring before the sulfonate group in each case.

This detergent differs from both anionic and cationic surfactants, in the sense that the molecules are actually uncharged. This group has a polar head rather than an ionic head. Alcohol (OH) and ethoxy (CH2-CH2-O) serves as the functional group of it's head and is polar.

hamstar

HSC

I would say these types of detergents have a negatively charged head. Benzene sulfonate is the common negative charged head of the synthetic anionic detergents.

O-SO2-O- is the same as O-SO3-

So i guess both of them would work

Last edited:

Frie

Wannabe Inventor
HSC
I would say these types of detergents have a negatively charged head. Benzene sulfonate is the common negative charged head of the synthetic anionic detergents.

O-SO2-O- is the same as O-SO3-

So i guess both of them would work
So it's O-SO2-O- not SO3-? I think you read the options wrong, one has 4 oxygens the other 3.

Frie

Wannabe Inventor
HSC
So when I draw it would it look like

Um.. don't know why the picture came out so large.. found on wiki

And u just replace the R with a hydrocarbon chain (zig-zag line) + benzene ring.

Would that be fine?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)