Determining hardness of water through titration (1 Viewer)

heeyeoni

HSC
i have a prac exam coming up and i know that its titration and has to do with water hardness.

what kind of titration will it be to do this?? i don't really get what you would be titrating against what to find/determine/ calculate hardness..??

any ideas???

and how and what would i be calculating for the results, cause i'm assuming i have to calculate the concentration of calcium and magnesium ions but i dunno how.

heeyeoni

HSC
OMGSHH thank you soo much!! that's exactly the sort of thing i was looking for~

i'm not too sure on how EDTA works though.. i heard it forms a complex ion or something??

if you could explain that and anyother important info i should know it'd be a huge help thanx:)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
You totally don't have to know about the mechanisms of the EDTA titration for year 12. I could still type some info up for you if you want.

The syllabus dot point tells you to identify the factors which contribute to the hardness of water, that is, just to name them. It's normal for you to learn their definitions, causes and identify methods of measuring these factors, but you really don't need to go as deep as to explain these methods.

A qualitative (or less accurately quantitative) test is to add about 5 mL of the sample to a small tube and add a few drops of detergent. Shake the tube - if the water froths, then the water is soft; if not, the water is hard. This method can't give you a measurement of turbidity, but you can use it to compare samples with each other. Add one drop at a time to the samples, and the sample which produced the least froth with the most drops added is the hardest.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
You totally don't have to know about the mechanisms of the EDTA titration for year 12. I could still type some info up for you if you want.

The syllabus dot point tells you to identify the factors which contribute to the hardness of water, that is, just to name them. It's normal for you to learn their definitions, causes and identify methods of measuring these factors, but you really don't need to go as deep as to explain these methods.

A qualitative (or less accurately quantitative) test is to add about 5 mL of the sample to a small tube and add a few drops of detergent. Shake the tube - if the water froths, then the water is soft; if not, the water is hard. This method can't give you a measurement of turbidity, but you can use it to compare samples with each other. Add one drop at a time to the samples, and the sample which produced the least froth with the most drops added is the hardest.
It was in your paper so I guess I should remember different tests.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)