determining speed of a motor (1 Viewer)

Itike

HSC
I have to determine the speed of a motor using PE=mgh and KE= ½mv^2. The motor is being used to lift a 20g mass 25cm into the air. Im not really sure how to do this, but this is how I did it:

PE = 0.02 x 9.8 x 0.25
= 0.049 J

KE = PE
Therefore KE = 0.049 J

0.049 = ½ x 0.02 x v^2
v^2 = 0.049/(0.02 x ½ )
v^2 = 4.9

Therefore v = 2.2 ms-1

I don’t think this right, please help!

Kirjava

HSC
I can't see any problems in your working Itike, though I havn't bothered to prove it.

F3nris; potential and kinetic energy are often related, but by no means must their sum total at zero. I'm not entirely sure if you meant that that statement should apply generally, or just as it pertains to Itike's problem- so i'll say no more .

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Itike said:
I have to determine the speed of a motor using PE=mgh and KE= ½mv^2. The motor is being used to lift a 20g mass 25cm into the air. Im not really sure how to do this, but this is how I did it:
This is a strange question. What is the actual question?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
it is strange... from your working out, it seemed that the motor doesn't have to be there....

Kirjava

HSC
Mm, at second glance I see a problem that I overlooked originally: There is no minimum speed required for the motor to lift the weight! When I looked over it the first time it crossed me as something similar to a projectile motion question, and for that reason his working seemed altogether reasonable.

Something appears to be missing in the question.

thehootman

HSC
Lol thats the speed of the weight ascending. To calculate the RPM you need the diameter of the pulley or whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)