Diagnostic Radiography: USYD vs UON (1 Viewer)

leejen

HSC
Hi, I just graduated this year in the class of 2020 and I'm very conflicted regarding which uni and ATAR cutoffs 🚨

I passionately want to do B Applied Science (Diagnostic Radiography) at USYD which has a 95 ATAR (non-guaranteed). And I think my ATAR will range from 92-95, therefore, am worried about getting in. I’m pre desperate to be offered a place at USYD due to such admirable uni stats, high employment rate and the degree is just so perfect. As it is a non guaranteed ATAR and the cutoff is based on course demand each year, it could be lower or higher than a 95. Do any of you think with COVID and the decrease of international students the ATAR cutoff may decrease?

Also in the worst-case scenario, I can go to the University of Newcastle which has an 83 ATAR cutoff and guarantee my entry. I'm just afraid the uni ranking will affect employment possibilities, quality of resources/teaching may be lower and that moving to Newcastle will also be another hassle (accommodation, family, social life etc.).

Also, Transferring after first year into USYD for Radiography is very competitive as a HD is highly regarded due to the course's high ATAR cutoff/ high demand and I've heard a lot about how hard it is to receive a HD so I am a bit worried. If it comes to transferring idk if I should try to transfer after doing a random science degree at USYD for a year or after doing Radiography at UON for a year? Or should I just study at UON if I don't get accepted into USYD?

Thoughts? Advice?

2xq

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I just graduated this year in the class of 2020 and I'm very conflicted regarding which uni and ATAR cutoffs 🚨

I passionately want to do B Applied Science (Diagnostic Radiography) at USYD which has a 95 ATAR (non-guaranteed). And I think my ATAR will range from 92-95, therefore, am worried about getting in. I’m pre desperate to be offered a place at USYD due to such admirable uni stats, high employment rate and the degree is just so perfect. As it is a non guaranteed ATAR and the cutoff is based on course demand each year, it could be lower or higher than a 95. Do any of you think with COVID and the decrease of international students the ATAR cutoff may decrease?

Also in the worst-case scenario, I can go to the University of Newcastle which has an 83 ATAR cutoff and guarantee my entry. I'm just afraid the uni ranking will affect employment possibilities, quality of resources/teaching may be lower and that moving to Newcastle will also be another hassle (accommodation, family, social life etc.).

Also, Transferring after first year into USYD for Radiography is very competitive as a HD is highly regarded due to the course's high ATAR cutoff/ high demand and I've heard a lot about how hard it is to receive a HD so I am a bit worried. If it comes to transferring idk if I should try to transfer after doing a random science degree at USYD for a year or after doing Radiography at UON for a year? Or should I just study at UON if I don't get accepted into USYD?

Thoughts? Advice?
Hello! This reply might be a bit late but given that the offers for USYD Radiography were given to those with a LSR (Lowest Selection Rank) of 97.30 due to its competitive entry, USYD will most likely not be an option. From what I hear, University of Newcastle's Radiography course is pretty good. If you are absolutely certain that you want to do radiography, I would advise you to go to UoN. Sure you might be away from family and friends but there are definitely opportunities to make new friends as well! With regards to family, as long as you have discussed this with them and they are happy for you to go study at UoN, I'd say take the opportunity. If they don't approve, I would suggest you look at backup degrees that you are interested in at local universities. You may also want to consider the Master of Diagnostic Radiography @ USYD after doing your backup degree (just make sure you are familiar with the admission criteria for this course).
Hope this helps! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)