Diagrams in essays? (1 Viewer)

roli

HSC
Hi all, just wondering, would markers look more favourably upon an essay with some diagrams to support the text or an essay that is purely text, but more in depth? Should I even bother incorporating diagrams into my essays, let's say for something like the Phillip's curve or business cycles with and without counter-cyclical policies, which could be easily explained in words anyway? Is it worth it?

~caramello~

HSC
Yes. Imo you should include diagrams. Our teacher said to throw in relevant diagrams but don't go too much detail over it (Like don't label it and say when the curve moves from E1 to E2 etc). Just quick sketch with a ruler and use it to quickly explain.

gnrlies

HSC
Of course

a picture is worth 1000 words.

But you raise a point which is important. There is no point in putting in diagrams for the sake of it. But certainly if you get an essay on inflation and unemployment, I would consider putting in the Phillips curve.

niloony

HSC
Yes. Imo you should include diagrams. Our teacher said to throw in relevant diagrams but don't go too much detail over it (Like don't label it and say when the curve moves from E1 to E2 etc). Just quick sketch with a ruler and use it to quickly explain.
My teacher said the opposite, only include a diagram if you label it correctly and explain exactly what it means otherwise theres no point. If you don't say in detail what E1 to E2 actually means then your diagram is irrelevant and just talking about the [Philipes Curve] would have saved you time.

Last edited:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
yes include diagrams
i was able to smash the whole grade in the yearlies coz I put diagrams and nobody else did.

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
My teacher said the opposite, only include a diagram if you label it correctly and explain exactly what it means otherwise theres no point. If you don't say in detail what E1 to E2 actually means then your diagram is irrelevant and just talking about the [Philipes Curve] would have saved you time.

i agree.

- draw the diagram at least 1/3 the size of the page
- give it a tag. e.g. Figure 1 - The Short Run Phillips Curve
- label all necessary parts
- in 4 or so lines explain what is happening in the diagram.

roli

HSC
Could someone suggest the optimal, recommended amount of diagrams per extended response? Don't want to overshoot it XD

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
Could someone suggest the optimal, recommended amount of diagrams per extended response? Don't want to overshoot it XD
it really depends on the question.

for example.

Outline the causes of an increase in demand for the Australian dollar, and discuss the impacts on the Australian economy of a sustained appreciation of the Australian currency. (Q27- 2006)

- Define - appreciation
- appreciation occurs when... - increase in demand relative to supply or a fall in supply relative to demand.
here i would have a diagram of an increase in demand
and a diagram on a decrease in supply

then answer the rest of the question

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
for something like this

Discuss the influence of international organisations and contemporary trading blocs andagreements in promoting globalisation. In your answer, use the economic informationprovided. (Q24 - 2008)
it's hard and somewhat useless to include diagrams.

also, it's a good idea to include equations, e.g.
Discuss the effects of an appreciation of the Australian dollar on Australia’s internal and external stability. In your answer, use the economic information provided.
you could include the equations used to measure australia's external stability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)