Did all stations to central mnemomic originate in Australia? (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
This depends on whether you are specifically referring to the "All Stations To Central" mnemonic, or whether you are referring to the general idea of using mnemonics to assist students in their studies of trigonometry.

If you are specifically referring to the "All Stations To Central" mnemonic, then it is likely that this particular mnemonic did originate in Australia. This is for two simple reasons:
  • It is common in Australian schools and could be the only ASTC variant that is taught. I personally do not recall learning a different variant when I was in year 10.
  • Central is in Australia, meaning that "All Stations To Central" is unique to Australia and Australian schools and suggests that this mnemonic did indeed originate in Australia.
If you are referring to the method of using mnemonics (such as "All Stations To Central") as a whole, then it is unlikely that this originated in Australia. However, it is possible that "All Stations To Central" may have been the result of an adaptation of the seemingly more popular "All Students Take Calculus" to better suit Australian schools.

Some other ASTC mnemonics include:
  • "All Silly Tom Cats"
  • "Add Sugar To Coffee"
  • "All Science Teachers (are) Crazy"
  • "A Smart Trig Class"
I hope this helps! :D

AlienWithLiberty610

HSC
Not 100% sure, but it’s highly probable. I remember reading in the Year 11 Cambridge advanced math book something along the lines of “in NSW, it is typically learnt as All Stations To Central.”

I mean, it would not really make sense for it to originate in another country, as this is clearly a reference to central station (unless various other countries happen to have “central” stations, again not sure). My math teacher, who studied in India, learnt “All Silver Tea Cups.”

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
There's also All Stations To Cronulla, I'm sure if any of you have been on a train in that area you would have heard ir

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)