Did I pick good subjects? (1 Viewer)

xPhenoms

HSC
I'm really worried now since I looked more into scaling and how the system works, my minimum ATAR goal is 75 but obviously Id like to get more, I didn't pick maths or any sciences which I regret, it's not that I suck at them it's just i figure I would pick subjects I could excel in rather than pick ones I know would push my ATAR down, I am pretty good at maths but I know if I took it in the hsc I would blow it

Subjects I'm doing
English Advanced
Business Studies
Ancient History
Modern History
Entertainment (Sitting the Exam)

Now I'm really nervous, obviously it's to late to back out now, I want to go to University and study Computer Enginerring and Programming, I figure I would take a bridging course and just make up for what I lost in maths and a unit of science. My girlfriends step dad might be able to offer me a job in the future to work at Oracle Labs in California with him, I just want to make sure I can still do that.

astroman

HSC
don't stress you can get any atar with any subject combo, u have to work hard and anything is possible.

turntaker

HSC
I'm really worried now since I looked more into scaling and how the system works, my minimum ATAR goal is 75 but obviously Id like to get more, I didn't pick maths or any sciences which I regret, it's not that I suck at them it's just i figure I would pick subjects I could excel in rather than pick ones I know would push my ATAR down, I am pretty good at maths but I know if I took it in the hsc I would blow it

Subjects I'm doing
English Advanced
Business Studies
Ancient History
Modern History

Now I'm really nervous, obviously it's to late to back out now, I want to go to University and study Computer Enginerring and Programming, I figure I would take a bridging course and just make up for what I lost in maths and a unit of science. My girlfriends step dad might be able to offer me a job in the future to work at Oracle Labs in California with him, I just want to make sure I can still do that.
Why didn't you pick maths?

Silly Sausage

HSC

Subjects I'm doing
English Advanced
Business Studies
Ancient History
Modern History

How would you know you won't blow uni maths then? If you get in your desired course, you're going to have major problems if you don't have the assumed knowledge for maths. Most university bridging courses have assumed at least 2U maths. Bridging courses for no hsc maths/general are available but chances are that you're going to delay your degree. 2-3 week bridging course cannot substitute for 2 years of mathematics.
Honestly if you think you can excel in the subjects that you chose then engineering is not for you, have a serious think about it.
If you really want to do engineering, you should defer for one year and complete a few maths courses at TAFE.

Kaido

be.
HSC
Brah just learn maths as an outside hobby. Put aside 2-4 hours a week and do some 2U maths.
If you're decent, 2 years of 2U can be compressed into 60 hours (which will take at most a year)
But yeah...def need maths mate

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you enjoy the subjects?
Are you interested in the subjects?

If you answered yes you made the right decision

xPhenoms

HSC
I said the reason why i didn't pick maths, if i did i would blow it, i thought i was being smart, i can do a bridging course at Uni for the maths i need

xPhenoms

HSC
I want to do a Bachelor of Engineering with a major in Computer Engineering at Macquarie if possible, i have the skills and mindset to do that Uni degree, it's just i didn't pick the subjects that i have a little struggle with, i figure if i pick all subjects i could excel at i would walk away with a good ATAR and than get into any Uni course i want to do, i mean the way i see it, you can pick subjects that scale well, but if you suck in them, it doesn't matter if they scale well or not.

I was probably going to do a maths course at TAFE for a year, but i think i could get away with a bridging course as an equivalent

xPhenoms

HSC
Yes i enjoy the subjects but i am not interested in pursuing a career at of any of them really, maybe only Business

turntaker

HSC
>No physics
>No Maths
>Wants to do computer engineering

Nah but seriously if you are really passionate about it and work hard anything is possible.

xPhenoms

HSC
Like i said, i didn't pick any science subjects or maths because the way i see it, you are there to get a good ATAR one way or another, if you pick something you struggle with or you know you might fail at than it doesn't matter if they scale well you will wind up with a shit ATAR anyway, thats why i picked these subjects, so i could do well in them and walk away with something and than add to it later, such as the maths and physics courses

Silly Sausage

HSC
Like i said, i didn't pick any science subjects or maths because the way i see it, you are there to get a good ATAR one way or another, if you pick something you struggle with or you know you might fail at than it doesn't matter if they scale well you will wind up with a shit ATAR anyway, thats why i picked these subjects, so i could do well in them and walk away with something and than add to it later, such as the maths and physics courses
If you struggle with high school maths and science, gg engineering.

HSC
not necessarily
loads of people do something that's different from what they did in high school
There's no prerequisites; though it may give a slight advantage

Silly Sausage

HSC
MQ has prerequisites (B4 2U maths), bridging course has assumed knowledge of basic 2U.

Silly Sausage

HSC
Srsly you should buy the Cambridge 2U & self learn as much content (esp calculus and functions)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)