Did the new curriculum affect you? (1 Viewer)

andyT

HSC
N/A
I had initially planned to graduate from a BA in Media and Cultural studies by June.. but now due to the new curriculum find myself 1 (1!!!!!) credit point shy.

Anyone else with a horror story?

Perhaps now is a good time to ask if anybody knows of 4 credit point subjects that don't require earlier unit pre reqs.. or of 3 credit point 300 level subjects that could be classified 'easy'. I'd still like to stick to my June schedule!

Also is this worth complaining about?

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Aren't some departments offering 1 or 2 credit point units for this purpose - so-called 'shell units'?

From http://www.mq.edu.au/momentum/pdfs/NewCurriculum2010FAQs.pdf:

One of the requirements of my current degree is to complete 12 creditpoints of 300level units. I have completed 8 credit points so far. Next year the third subject I wish to take will be standardised from 4 down to 3 credit points, meaning that I will only have 11 credit points total upon completion of this unit. Am I going to have to stay an extra semester at university to complete another 3 credit point subject to satisfy the 12 credit point requirement?

No. Every faculty has set up shell units. These are units worth one or two credit points each and will typically involve a reading or research unit that you can tailor to your major. In the above example, the student would simply take on a 1 credit point shell unit to make up for the 1 credit point difference.

Last edited:

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
shell units can be taken once you have 57/58 credit points (depending on whether you need 1 or 2cp) and you need the dean of faculty's permission.

search fohs in course handbook.

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
and personally i've got no problems with the new curriculum. i'm going to be 1cp shy but that's my own fault because i took 2 4cp level units last semester instead of 2 3cp units. doesn't bother me, i'm just trying to decide whether it's worth doing a 3cp subject 1st semester, or waiting until 3rd year, 2nd sem and taking a shell unit.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I told it to go take a long walk that new curriculum I did!

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
it's fucking me in the ass. so cut.

williamc

HSC
jachie, if you enrolled last year and will graduate before 2012 the new curriculum doesn't have to affect you?

Jachie

HSC
jachie, if you enrolled last year and will graduate before 2012 the new curriculum doesn't have to affect you?
nah it is with media for some cunting reason. they're fucking with the units so pretty much the 'print media' major i was planning on starting doesn't exist anymore, instead there's just random subjects for travel writing and other obscure shit... brb suiciding :(

williamc

HSC
nah it is with media for some cunting reason. they're fucking with the units so pretty much the 'print media' major i was planning on starting doesn't exist anymore, instead there's just random subjects for travel writing and other obscure shit... brb suiciding :(

holy shit that sucks dick

You could still apply for late round offers to change uni's??

Begbie4017

HSC
One of my friends was 1 unit short of finishing 2009 & she is doing a unit at summer school at the moment to make it up.She will still get to do honours this year but her graduation ceremony may not be till September ( I think)

Jachie

HSC
holy shit that sucks dick

You could still apply for late round offers to change uni's??
I know it's rubbish.

Nah cbf, might as well continue with it.

Jennt

HSC
N/A
I "was" doing a BSc - Anatomy/Physiology, external, part-time. Just finished my 2nd year and it will take 6 years (twice as long as doing it full-time which is normal for part-time students). So, the powers that be obviously didn't think of us part-timers and the cut-off of 2012 to complete under the old system is just ridiculous, and not only that but the Anatomy/Physiology degree has disappeared!

So, I've had to spend hours re-thinking my entire degree plan and am now going to be stuck with a BSc with a major in Biology and a minor in Statistics (bleh!). Very disappointed...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)