• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Did the teacher teach? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

soso

HSC
N/A
yes, same student got band 3 in extension english 2, student has tested well in ability tests and is capable of high order achievment, perhaps the teacher said what parents wanted to hear and it headed them off at the pass. They didn't ask anymore questions.

I am asking the same question. Who do they go to for help? because no-one seems to be able to answer the question.

I have noticed an interesting theme. It seems many would think the student is at fault or the parents are at fault or both. I don't see anyone thinking the teacher might have done more. Why is this the case? This question shouldn't be taken as an accusation but rather as an observation looking for an answer

santaslayer

HSC
Well, imo, what should be done is that your 'friend' should follow a hierarchy of grievance procedures starting off with the school principle. If he/she does not give your 'friend' an outcome he/she is satisfied with then you can apply to complain to BOS (th official one...LoLz) if even BOS overturns your friends complaint then i don't know where your 'friend' could go.
Im not suggesting this, but some people would use shows like A Current Affair and Today Tonight to voice their outrage. Your friend might like to utilise the media to get your satisfied outcome?......LoLz

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
At my school...i really did not have any help from teachers for Physics Chem and English...we complained a lot...but they never changed the teachers....so yeah we had to study by ourselves!! So i reckon, if teacher is not good and students are "brilliant" they should be resposnsible enough to their own work!

soso

HSC
N/A
Friend doesn't want a big fuss. Hopefully it will be solved without one.

I see teachers bagged out on other sites here but I find it interesting that there are so many who think it is the students fault. A teacher has a duty of care to ensure a student is taught the course. My opinion is he didn't teach the course. None of the students did well but they did well in other subjects.

Should teachers be accountable?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Ultimately in the end, even though it may be the teachers fault, it's also the students duty to do their own self study using the syllabus and acquired textbook to re-inforce what has has been taught in class.

If it was found that the teacher has taught the wrong information, then any capable student should be able to notice it from the result of their own self study, and seek the appropriate action towards the teacher/principal.

soso

HSC
N/A
Interesting comment.

When the Principal was approached it was suggested he look at the results. Some discussion ensued over a period of days. Principal stated that if complaint made earlier he wouldn't have believed it, would have thought it was just another unhappy student/parent who wanted 1 or 2 extra marks

Principal sympathetic to student in my opinion

soso

HSC
N/A
Ultimately it is in the past. It is done and cant be undone. What should have been done is now irrellevant. The question remains what should be done now.

I would suggest to ragerunner that you asking for a student to know what they don't know and then teach it to themselves. A very big ask indeed.

Students trust their teachers. Is this a mistake too? May I ask that if you have advice that can help now and in the future please post it. If your comment does not fall in this category it is difficult to see how it is helpful

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
I don't think anything should be done about it now.

The students should have realised before they got their HSC marks back that the teacher wasn't teaching properly. There should have been times when they walked out of class going, what the fuck was he on about? - even then, they should have taken responsibility to clarify what the teacher has said by going and asking him questions, doing reading from the textbook on their own, etc. It is not the teacher's responsibility to seek feedback from every single student after every lesson as to whether they understood the content presented, or the way he went about it. It's the students responsibility to tell the teacher if they're not understanding.

The teacher's feedback is no guarentee of how they'll do in the HSC exam and never has been. Even if a teacher told them they were doing fine, they should have known whether they felt comfortable with a topic or not. Perhaps he was trying to boost their confidence with the subject so that they would be more likely to study?

Why is it, AFTER the marks have come back that the students have decided to kick up a fuss about it?

I think you will get very little sympathy from people on these boards, because the majority take responsibility for their own study so that they are the one who dictates their marks, not their teacher(s), or anyone else. It may not be *their* responsibility, but by making it their responsibility, they ensure have the control to get the marks they want.

It may well be the teacher's responsibility to teach, but it's not the teacher's responsibility to make you study... this is where you really earn the marks isn't it?

It is highly likely the teacher may not have done his job properly, but the students have left it too late to act now. I don't see anything that can be done. If complains were made all throughout the year, then maybe a special considerations form could have been filled out by the students, or possibly EAS, I don't know. I see nothing that can be done now.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by soso

I see teachers bagged out on other sites here but I find it interesting that there are so many who think it is the students fault. A teacher has a duty of care to ensure a student is taught the course. My opinion is he didn't teach the course. None of the students did well but they did well in other subjects.

Should teachers be accountable?
well....yeah thats the way it is....I wish ALL teachers knew their duty of care....it doent matter how brilliant your friend was "in class"....it could well be different in HSC! Trust me...they will never sack/blame the teacher....thats how this crappy school system works! I hated to be in my english class.....but I had to....the teacher was crappy....but i worked hard and did well....so i belive its ur friends responsibility to cover the loop holes the teacher is not filling in,....in my case, like perfectionist, i completely did phys chem and english..i cud go and complain...that if i had a better teachers...i wud have been 1st in state in standard (looking at my great effort...i got 85 in eng std without the teacher's help) and i could well have been a band 6....if i understood the work IN CLASS not at tutoring....prolly same wud apply to Chem!

soso

HSC
N/A
I hear what you are saying.

Please hear what I am saying. Who do you got to for help?

Anyone know a solicitor with experience in these matters?

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
lol,

what are you going to do? Sue the teacher? Hear what we're saying - none of think you have much case now. BEFORE HAND, you would have had a case.

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
Originally posted by Cyph
I don't think anything should be done about it now.

The students should have realised before they got their HSC marks back that the teacher wasn't teaching properly. There should have been times when they walked out of class going, what the fuck was he on about? - even then, they should have taken responsibility to clarify what the teacher has said by going and asking him questions, doing reading from the textbook on their own, etc. It is not the teacher's responsibility to seek feedback from every single student after every lesson as to whether they understood the content presented, or the way he went about it. It's the students responsibility to tell the teacher if they're not understanding.

The teacher's feedback is no guarentee of how they'll do in the HSC exam and never has been. Even if a teacher told them they were doing fine, they should have known whether they felt comfortable with a topic or not.
I completely agree.
Feedback from the teacher does not guarantee that they will do extremely well in the HSC exam, and just because you are getting good feedback doesn't mean that you should slack-off. Does anyone else agree that perhaps the student just became complacent?

soso

HSC
N/A
Well I am pleased this is only the court of public opinion.

A student cannot be expected to know what he doesn't know. This is clear.

Still I wait lonely as a cloud for a name. A name of somoeone who has experience rather than an uniformed opinion.

Anyone got a name of someone who has legal experience who has been down this track before.

I know everyone has an opinion. I don't need to hear them all. I never asked for an opinion just a referral to some one who could help.

Alas I still wait and over 200 people have been here to watch me wait.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
omg, your style of writing is sooo dramatic! sorry but i just HAD to comment on this :p

and yes, hyperbole, i think the student became too complacent upon the teachers comments, there is no one else to blame....soso, y dont YOU go into the real world and ask an adult about legal matters instead of asking a bunch of teenagers on an internet msgboard for advice about this matter

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
soso, this matter has come up with the BOS (real one) before. The student(s) had no case because they left it until after the HSC exam. There have been cases when students did something about it before the HSC exam and were granted EAS or something similar I believe.

You can go and find a solictor, but I dare say you'll have to pay out a lot of money for a case you probably won't win. You're better off saving your money for those 25% increase in HECS.

This thread is annoying as all fuck and I wish a mod would close/delete it.

soso

HSC
N/A
Ah cyph at last the first answer that is on the subject. THnak you. I couldn't agree more with your sentiments.

Perhaps I could say the student was anathetised by being told how brilliant their work was or many other things but no matter. It is history

I accept there is no-one to help me on this site. I am happy for it all to end

JimsDa

soso

its not that we dun want to help you..but it is just that, whatever we type whether is is good, contributing, helpful or wat, u just think its a load of crap cos u dun like to hear about it. An attitude like that deserves to be label as arrogant

and arrogant ppl like u usually have friends that are arrogant, so yea, arrogant ppl deserve a band1 in their fucken hsc..

oh yea, for once in ur life, try and appreicate the help of others, even though this communication is via internet, we are human, and human are warm blooded, we dun go and give advices that will ruin ur life forever, like what ur trying to make out of this situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)