Did your career aspirations decrease as time went on? (1 Viewer)

studynz2008

HSC
I guess time and the environment affects our decisions. Last time i would like to be an accountant then when i was introduced to internet, i decided to take computer studies.... =p

Seamus733

HSC
Mine grew from a soldier in year 4-6, a RAAF pilot from year 7-9 and a QANTAS pilot from year 10 - today.

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
Dingers said:
It's pretty sad that alot of us, including me to a degree, wanted to become lawyers.

Honestly, lawyers.

Shows how much we grew up to love money.
No, I'm just sick of going without it. Yeah, I know, I know, there's poor starving children in Africa, blah blah blah. But I'm sick of never having friends over, becuse whenever I do, they get this blank look on their face and be like "oh..." I hate having to be put in awkward conversations because I can't afford to go to certain places. I hate people treating me like a fricken charity case when I say I can't afford something.

So I don't really give a stuff if I'm being greedy or whatever. I want the money to travel. I want to shout all my mates drinks on a friday night. Ridiculously over priced cocktails. I want to go clothes shopping and not go, "damn... that $20 top took me 3 hours to pay for, and it means I'm going to have to miss out on blah blah this week".

Money makes everything easier. It doesn't make you happy, but it can sure piss you off if you don't have any.

I want to be a lawyer, and I sure don't blame anyone else who does.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
Definatly! I can remember being about 11 or 12, and one of my aunties finished the HSC and got a UAI of 89.90. I remmeber thinking "geez.. she must of slacked off.. didnt even get into the 90s..." i was absolutly sure that i would get a UAI of 99-100.

LOL.

HSC
Up until about Year 8: Journalism and Politics
Year 9: Psychology
Year 10: Psychology/Teaching
Year 11: Human Resource Management
Now: Law/Politics. But still unsure about the law part tbh

allblack

Legendary Member...
HSC
Yr.3- Astronaut/Aerospace
Yr.4-Yr.9- Medicine
Yr.10- Law
Yr.11-Yr.12 term2- Medicine
Yr.12 term 2- Psychology
Yr.12. term 3- Finance
1 month ago- Physio
Now- No Friggin idea

dolbinau

HSC
For me:

Year 7: Pilot
Year 8: Pilot
Year 9: Pilot
Year 10: Pilot
Year 11: Psychology
Year 12: Medicine or Psychology or Pharmacy (but ultimately transferring to undergrad or doing post grad medicine anyway if I didn't get in straight away).

Building hours+Flying expenses turned me off flying. (Commercially, anyway)

Animals

Banned
HSC
Eclipse008 said:
No, I'm just sick of going without it. Yeah, I know, I know, there's poor starving children in Africa, blah blah blah. But I'm sick of never having friends over, becuse whenever I do, they get this blank look on their face and be like "oh..." I hate having to be put in awkward conversations because I can't afford to go to certain places. I hate people treating me like a fricken charity case when I say I can't afford something.

So I don't really give a stuff if I'm being greedy or whatever. I want the money to travel. I want to shout all my mates drinks on a friday night. Ridiculously over priced cocktails. I want to go clothes shopping and not go, "damn... that $20 top took me 3 hours to pay for, and it means I'm going to have to miss out on blah blah this week".

Money makes everything easier. It doesn't make you happy, but it can sure piss you off if you don't have any.

Quote for mother fucking truth. I totally agree, and just to add, there has been research done which shows that money does in fact make you happier.

And I don't think you're at all being greedy. You want a happy life and you want to provide your future family with the life they deserve. That's fair enough.

Also, it's great that you've taken what you've grown up with, even though it may not be much, and you've used it as motivation to improve your life. That's great.

Azreil

HSC
Since year 5, wanted to be a lawyer.

Since year 9, wanted to work in police prosecution.

So no, no they haven't.

And this:

Dingers said:
It's pretty sad that alot of us, including me to a degree, wanted to become lawyers.

Honestly, lawyers.

Shows how much we grew up to love money.
Seriously, fuck you. I am so sick of people claiming I want to be a lawyer for the money. You could not be more wrong. Please stop repeating stereotypes and research more before you repeat such crap.

http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre/

If I wanted money, I would've dropped out of school after year 10 and got an apprenticeship in the mines. Next year I could be earning $65k. Will I? No. I'll be studying to do something I'm interested in and passionate about.

*steps off soapbox*

EDIT for getting annoyed.

Last edited:

johony

HSC
years 3-5: lawyer
years 6-8: car designer
year 9: graphic designer
year 10: journalist
now: PR/advertising/marketing

HSC
Wait till the mining boom is over little miners :)

And also a law degree doesn't = being a lawyer

SpoonSamba

HSC
Eclipse008 said:

Good on you man i know exactly how you feel, we've always done alright but the past year has been so shit because of money, makes a social life so friggin hard and im so over it, i cant wait for exams to be over so i can get like 3 jobs

um well from about yr 5-yr8 i wanted to be a farmer

i really got over that phase...

then my ideas were chemist, psychologist, meteorologist, environmental scientist but then doing so shit in chemistry kinda killed any interest i had in science

so i wanna be an actor and just all round theatre person

which i know isnt an big income earner but its just what i love and i cant help it, i just plan to live within my means, fuk this keeping up with the jones's crap.

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
lol ok for all people wanting to be lawyers i know u all have varied reasons for it some money some passion but trust me ur commitment to this really tested in first year because truly

HSC legal studies NOTHING LIKE UNI LAW which unless u have massive passion for the subject will bore u to death

i know cause i have this mate did law uts first year thinking be interesting. it wasnt at all complelty boring but w/e up to u guys

1-6 years hell i cant remember
7-8 i think it was lawyer
9-10 dentist or something science
11-12 research scientist (yeah a lab person but i mean i not sure in what area hopefully molecular and genetics that would be sweet)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)