Didnt put enough effort for maths- advice ?? (1 Viewer)

simplysempre

HSC
Hey guys
Im in year 11 and were starting term 3 soon (tmr actually) and i realised too late i havent been using my time wisely... I havent focused much on maths and i heard somewhere you need to do well in year 11 maths to do well in year 12 maths as it provides a base for wht were gna learn... Is that true? Do i still have hope if i work my butt off even tho ive sorta been slacking off?

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Year 11 Maths is the foundation for Year 12 maths.

It depends how many units of maths you're doing. If you're doing 2U then it's fine, pick up now, but 3U and (planning to do) 4U might be a little harder.

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
haha im in the same boat! been pretty average with my results and below average for ext.

But anything can happen? Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted

simplysempre

HSC
Hi guys thanks for replying: im doing 3u but i want to drop ext maths because im just horrible at it so doing 2u in yr 12

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
haha i posted a thread about considering to drop 3U, but seriously stick to it for a bit more into year 12 because alot of people say your attitude towards what your doing will change.

simplysempre

HSC
Yeah ill see how i go but its not looking too good for me
Realised too late im more of an english person - chose maths ext for scaling mostly lol regret

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
haha what kind of marks have you been getting? inbox me discuss there instead?

mac1996

HSC
year 11 maths is not really the basis for y12 math
however, year 11 maths comes up throughout 30% of the actual hsc paper
dont worry, there is plenty of time to turn the tables around
i know someone who got in the 60s for his prelim 2u exam then ended up with a hsc mark of 95

luvglee4lyfe

HSC
Okay, I'm doing my HSC right now - let me tell you, year 11 content IS tested in year 12. Now, every subject other than Maths in year 11 does not really provide a basis for year12. So I suggest using term 3 to relearn your maths frmo the first topic up to the last. Good luck!

enoilgam

HSC
Hey guys
Im in year 11 and were starting term 3 soon (tmr actually) and i realised too late i havent been using my time wisely... I havent focused much on maths and i heard somewhere you need to do well in year 11 maths to do well in year 12 maths as it provides a base for wht were gna learn... Is that true? Do i still have hope if i work my butt off even tho ive sorta been slacking off?
If you have been understanding the work thus far then you should be alright. If you haven't, then you will probably have a bit of ground to catch up on - in which case it might be worth considering a tutor.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Don't fret too much! The benefit of having Math as your dud subject at the moment is that Math is very easy to pick up if you pay close attention and work hard at it!

During years 8 - 11 my average mark in Math was 30%. But in Year 12 I pulled my shit together and got 87 in the end for 2u! It would've been higher if I hadn't slacked off towards the end, but you can see that there is still hope :)

EDIT: And I too was more of an English person, but I loved Math because of how straightforward and logical it is. I started to hate English actually hahahaha

Last edited:

Ikki

HSC
I'm assuming 2u, in which case make sure you get your shiz together cause prelim is like easy crap compared to HSC 2u...
If 3u, you have to take serious steps to improve.
4u, if you've started it you're way ahead lol.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
From personal experience, you will and do learn from your mistakes. Mistakes happen so they wont happen again :). Yeah year 11 is a foundation. Try hard during last term and see if u can improve. If not then why not drop it. :)

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
One of my mates was getting 30% (Who just does 2U) In Prelims now he's like top of his 2U Class, so he's doing well. Just put some effort it, the only real "Basis" for year 12 2U is Calculus and Term 1 stuff/revison i.e abs value, surds, factorising, etc.

youngsky

poof
HSC
There's plenty of opportunities for you to rescue your marks. I'm in year 11 too and i'm pulling it back together from 75% (term 1) to 98% (2 and 3)
2u is mainly a matter of understanding and drilling key concepts, once you've got the idea down, it's rinse and repeat. 3u i think is more application of concepts and that's partly why it's harder. Just make sure you understand the stuff and it should all be okay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)