Die Medline (1 Viewer)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
this is just a thread cause i hate medline :mad: :mad:

anyone whos had to use it before post up your hints for using this stupid database to find relevant articles/abstracts for any research

blah blah...

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
are you doing the med. sci assignment?

Its piss easy.

wait till you see my fucking assignment this semester.. i gotta go through like all the databases to find some relevant fucking article

:|

what do you need help with.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
i just know nothing at all about finding relevant articles

its a pain- reading thru the notes on how to search cause all i seem to find r heaps of articles

and they dont seem relevant

i hate searching

Panda Bear

HSC
um.. i can't remember exactly..

but i think you just do a search and do a print screen of that search and print that out. that's one of the components you have to do.

is it diabetes again?

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
*kicks pharamcology in the butt*
lol
come to think of it
i hate all sci subjects

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
nah i finally got the hang of medline around 1 am last night when rushing my work so i could hand it in at midday today :)

im sure ill get a poor mark but its only worth 10 marks.lol stupid medline

now off to do another assignment due 2moro :p

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
Medical Science is the shittest science to learn
good science is like maths and physics

chem and that are just shitty!!!

Medline, i agree, biggest shit!

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Heh, I have stuff to do too. Damn PBLs, keep making me do research and crap.
that's kinda the whole point of pbl, so that we become 'independent bloody learners'

oh god, who am i kidding
i hate farking researching for hours and lugging around textbooks just for a few paragraphs of information

yeah, it's a pain, but once the research is done sifting and skimming through the stuff is alright. Taking notes as well is alright.
Go pbl. (professors being lazy)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It might be ok for your whole SDL course, but in my didacticland it's just out of place.

Total rubbish.

How's Rachel by the way, do you see her at all?

(Fortian Pride!)

alien_is

HSC
Im a thrird year student and still dont how to use medline. So i just use google to find journal articles. I just dont use medline. So my advice dont bother usin it

mr_snrub

HSC
Okay, Medline is not all crap and useless. If you know how to use it, you'll be on your way to finding relevant articles faster than you can say "weapons of mass destruction."
I'll post a quick guide to using Medline, the way I use it (as I'm sure other people will have their own ways):

- Firstly, for those who have no idea - go to the library's home page - www.lib.uts.edu.au and click 'databases.' You'll then see all the different disciplines you can search. The one I hilight is: "Biological & Biomedical Sciences."

- Now click that button down bottom that says "Find Resources" and you're on your way. When your results come up, scroll down to "Medline - 1966 to Present with Daily Update" and click the link. You should
now see the Medline home page that you can search from.

- So, the OP wanted to search about spinal cord injuries - thus we'll use this as our example (even though I'm sure it's much too late to help with the assignment, too bad).
The most effieient way I search for articles is to search by "Title" only. If you search by "Keyword," chances are you'll get random articles that you don't want, and have to filter out all the subjects you're not interested in. Therefore, we type "spinal cord injuries" or "spinal cord injury" into the search bar and click "Title" - this searches for all articles with the search term in the actual title of the journal article.

- Then, to gain access to any particular article, click the "SFX" icon to the right of the article you're interested in and wait for the new popup window to load. If UTS subscribes to that publication, you'll see a list of sources you can get the full text article from. Click that little round "GO" button and you're in!

I hope this helps, as Medline really is not useless - it just takes a little to get used to and it helps if you have someone showing you.
As a final note - if there's any particular journal you're after access to (for example, the "Journal of Biological Chemistry", you can go directly to the library's catalogue and search for it there under "Journal Title" - http://linus.lib.uts.edu.au/ or http://orac.lib.uts.edu.au/

Last edited:
HSC
The thing is, nowadays they give the Medical Science 1 students these step by step guide to medline and a simple research assignment(more like - "use this tool to grab something off the database") in hope that we won't whine about the medline so much. It's helped a bit, but still...the searching isn't so good....

I still use keywords as well as titles, and i have fun clicking on whatever seems relevant....:p

Panda Bear

HSC
I use science direct in conjunction with med-line

I do the bulk search using science direct, and if sciencedirect does not have the full text, I use med-line ... works usually..

using med-line by itself? i wouldn't recommend it :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)