difference between arts and science and arts/science (1 Viewer)

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
hi

what are the differences between a:

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences (UAC 511214)

and

B Arts/B Science (UAC 511201)

apart from the uai cutoff?

thanks

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ok, arts and sciences allows you to do this:
3 years
12 credit points in legal studies units
12 in economics and business
24 arts
24 sciences (i may be mistaken)
You need a major from either arts or science.
The other units you do can be from other faculties (except marketing which you can't do)

B Arts/B Science:
5 years
prescribed number of arts and science units (more arts than science i think).
possibly some required particular units of study

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
alright cool, thanks for that.

so if i was to take the arts and science one (3 year), is it possible to major in psychology?

thanks

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
0o0 said:
alright cool, thanks for that.

so if i was to take the arts and science one (3 year), is it possible to major in psychology?

thanks
Pschology can only be taken as a four year (honours) degree within either science or arts (not both) afaik.

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
alright

ive read that a 4th year honours is only available to "meritorious students".

are we talking HD average? what type of marks do i need to get this honours.

and once i major in psychology in arts or science, am i just as qualified as someone with a B.psych and able to open my own practice?

thnx

stazi

Nightman
HSC
0o0 said:
alright

ive read that a 4th year honours is only available to "meritorious students".

are we talking HD average? what type of marks do i need to get this honours.

and once i major in psychology in arts or science, am i just as qualified as someone with a B.psych and able to open my own practice?

thnx
there are different honours classes.
But a credit average is usually sufficient to get accepted, depending on the subject.

And no, you need to do B psychology to open your own practice.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Try reading through this website. As for practicing, much more is required beyond undergraduate studies before that stage may be reached.

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
thanks for the site.

what stuff does someone need to do after UG studies before opening a practice?

and if a doing an arts degree with honours in psychology wont allow me to become an accredited pysch. what can i do with it?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
0o0 said:
and if a doing an arts degree with honours in psychology wont allow me to become an accredited pysch. what can i do with it?
nothing really. what you can do is b arts or b science or a combined degree etc, and then try and transfer to b psychology. THat is really the only way to get certification. It also gives you a year's work experience.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Ah, are you sure? As far as I know, provided that you meet the requirements and qualify for an Honours year you are allowed to progress even though you may not be studying within a B Psych.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Generator said:
Ah, are you sure? As far as I know, provided that you meet the requirements and qualify for an Honours year you are allowed to progress even though you may not be studying within a B Psych.
I don't know, but this was told to me by my careers advisor and confirmed by a mate. You need professional accreditation. It makes sense though, why else would they have a b psychology degree if you could do the same with b arts

stazi

Nightman
HSC
SHIT! you need a distinction grade average in your second year psychology units apparently. That's really crazy.
This is for B psych

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
hmmm

i looked at this website

http://psychsociety.com.au/study/studying/11.1_4.asp

and under "3-Year sequence of study", for Usyd, it has these programs:
BA
BEcon (SocSc)
BLiberal Studies
BSc

but then someone would have to complete a 4th year course which is one of these:
BA (Hons)
BEcon (SocSc) (Hons)
BSc (Hons)
BLiberalStudies (Hons)
Graduate Diploma in Science (Psych)

is this not enough for certification?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
0o0 said:
hmmm

i looked at this website

http://psychsociety.com.au/study/studying/11.1_4.asp

and under "3-Year sequence of study", for Usyd, it has these programs:
BA
BEcon (SocSc)
BLiberal Studies
BSc

but then someone would have to complete a 4th year course which is one of these:
BA (Hons)
BEcon (SocSc) (Hons)
BSc (Hons)
BLiberalStudies (Hons)
Graduate Diploma in Science (Psych)

is this not enough for certification?

best thing to do is ring up and ask. or wait for open day.
I really am not sure if it's sufficient as the B psychology degree itself is SUPER competitive.
To the point of being ridiculous
If you dont maintain a Distinction average for 2nd and 3rd years of your degree you dont get certified and get awarded a simple B Science!!
So over 50% of the candiditure don't get awarded the degree it seems?

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
shit, psychology sounds pretty fucken hard.

ill do some research about it tomorrow.

thanks all

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
I do the B.Arts and Sciences, it's like a more flexible version of the B.Science/Arts. There are some hidden features though, and I suggest you don't look at the Handbook for this course, it doesn't really tell you a fantastic amount of information, hence the Faculty just sent us all an email telling us what is required of us.

Technically you are meant to be able to do a major in both the Arts and Science faculties (however I'm going to have to enquire about this, because when we started doing it they showed us a plan of how we could do both, but now they're saying you can do one from arts OR science...so I'm going to have to talk to someone), but unless you want to overload and have no life it's pretty damn hard fitting in all the requirements of doing 2 in 3 years. You have to do 12 units of compulsory units from Legal Studies, one of which has to be SLSS 1001 (Intro to Socio Legal Studies), you're basically only offered 3, and because they hadn't finished developing these courses 2 weeks before Uni went back, they only offered my year 2 choices. You also have to do 12 from Economics and Business but there are restrictions on what you can choose. A vast majority chose Intro to Microeconomics I think, but I'm looking into what I can do instead...

You also need 72 intermediate and senior CP

If you do the B. Arts and Science, the compulsory legal studies and economics units replaces the compulsory maths units you would have to do if you did a B.Science/Arts (The main reason I chose this degree :D) Also, if you do a language through the B. Arts and Science you don't have to go on a compulsory exchange like you normally would. You can, but it's not required. (Another reason why I chose it :D) And a large majority of the people doing this degree do a major in Psychology. You have to do something extra at the end of your degree to actually practice psychology.

But it's pretty impossible to get it done in 3 years unless you're full on. I'm not so it's probably going to take me 4 years, as I deferred the economics and business units until next year. And I'm going to start doing more arts along with my science major next year. I like this course because basically everyone chooses to do the SLSS1001 in the first year, and you're all in the same lecture together, so you get to meet everyone who does your course.

You can do honours with a credit avg or so their email to me says...

But yeah, for these 2 courses, I'd talk to people. There are people in the year ahead of me who did science/arts and are regretting they couldn't do the one I'm doing, because most of them just wanted a major in science but wanted to do several arts subjects too...and are now stuck in a 5 year course, however I'm not bothered by the amount of time I spend in uni and I would've probably liked to do 5 years of it, and spend more time focusing on both faculties, however, they would've sent me overseas if I had done Science/Arts.

And don't forget...there is a B.Arts/Science which is again, dif to all of the above :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)