Difference between B Liberal Studies, B Arts/ B Science and B Arts and Science (1 Viewer)

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
Hello :) would anyone know the difference between B Liberal Studies, B Arts/ B Science and B Arts and Science?
I've been reading the outline of these courses and found that they're practically the same or if not very similar and don't quite understand why.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

spence

HSC
Lib Studies - 4 years, needs one arts major, one science major, and at least 5 units of a language (can be your arts major if you wish), also a compulsory unit each of english and maths/stats
Arts and Sciences - 3 years, one major from arts OR science, with at least 24cp in the other, also 12cp each of economics/business and legal studies
Arts/Science - 5 years, double degree, needs a major each from arts and science, with at least 12cp of maths/stats, and 24cp from two science areas (not including maths/stats)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Yeah, thanks, but it's still difficult to work out some things from all that, like would Science/Arts be more flexible? And does anyone know why it's 5 years as compared to UNSW's 4?
There are compulsory Language and Communication units (you can do a linguistics one), so as I want to combine Biology with Chinese and linguistics, would Liberal Studies be a better option?

Hikari Clover

HSC
same question, choice between B Arts , and B Arts and Science

i tend to choose B Arts because it requires higher UAI (higher UAI = better?)
but B Arts and Science sounds like doing a double-degree....
which1 do u guys recommend?

DeepDarkRose

HSC
higher uai means there's just less spaces and more people who want to do the degree.......

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Hikari Clover said:
same question, choice between B Arts , and B Arts and Science

i tend to choose B Arts because it requires higher UAI (higher UAI = better?)
but B Arts and Science sounds like doing a double-degree....
which1 do u guys recommend?
there's really very little difference between the BAS and BA. the main one is that you don't have to do an arts major if you don't want to, but on the other hand you have to do a ton of pointless core units. unless you're desperate to have the option of not doing the arts major, i'd recommend just going for the BA.

goodnessme

HSC
I know 3 people from 1st semester in uni who were doing Bachelor of Arts and Science. 3 out of 3 of them hate the course because of the compulsory units. 3 out of 3 are dumb shits who got into the course because they are not smart enough to get into other degrees in USYD. One ended up dropping out and went on to do tafe.

So the thing is: Do Bachelor of Arts or do the combined degree Bachelor of Arts/Science.

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
If you didn't receive the marks required for the courses you wanted (ie. b liberal studies or b arts) but had enough to get into a course that has a lower cut off (b arts and science) is it possible to transfer into the your desired course later?? If so, is it easy to transfer?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yes, definitely possible. Just harder, and it would depend on how much lower your UAI was than the new cutoff, and what your marks were like. As for the OP's question, spence sums it up pretty well.

I would say, if you're not keen on the economics/business or legal studies side of things, or you're keen to do both a science and arts major (arts can include languages), don't do BAS.

Then it'd be a choice between Liberal Studies and BSc/BA. Pretty much the same except for the amount of maths/stats that need to be done, and whether you're willing to spend that extra year at uni.

kay90

HSC
Lib Studies - 4 years, needs one arts major, one science major, and at least 5 units of a language (can be your arts major if you wish), also a compulsory unit each of english and maths/stats
Arts and Sciences - 3 years, one major from arts OR science, with at least 24cp in the other, also 12cp each of economics/business and legal studies
Arts/Science - 5 years, double degree, needs a major each from arts and science, with at least 12cp of maths/stats, and 24cp from two science areas (not including maths/stats)

it says on the BAS site that you can do both a science and arts major.

spence

HSC
it says on the BAS site that you can do both a science and arts major.
Yeah you can I was just making the point that you only have to do one if you don't want to major in the other :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)