Difference between Bpsych courses. (1 Viewer)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
What exactly are the main differences between Bpsych, Bartspsych, Bsciencepsych and all the other Bwhaterverpsych's? Coz, from what i've read, they all don't seem too be that much different, and yet the uais can differ by so much. In the end, you can become a registered psychologist no matter which course you take, so i don't really get what the huge differences in uai cutoff are about. Could someone explain please?

Thanks. :)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
doing any of those courses wont make you a registered psychologist. you need to complete your masters to become a NSW registered psychologist (or whatever state).

pretty lame imo.

pinkly

Hands are handy.
HSC
The UAI cutoffs are not determined solely by how good or hard a course is, instead, it's mainly about the demand for places in that course. For example, Medicine has a very, very high demand for little places so to make entry competitive, it has a high UAI cut-off.

For psychology, you need to do your initial psych course and then an Honours and then you have your 2 years more study or work experience and then you may become a registered psych. But I'm not sure.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
wrxsti said:
doing any of those courses wont make you a registered psychologist. you need to complete your masters to become a NSW registered psychologist (or whatever state).

pretty lame imo.
Isn't it any 4 year psych course and either 2 years of supervised training or 2 year postgrad (ie. masters) to be fully recognised?

HSC
keep in mind though, b sci (psyc) and b arts (psyc) are three year degrees, so extra study will have to be done to satisfy the tertiary study component. the difference between b sci (psyc) and b arts (psyc) are the electives you study, they can either be sciencey or artsy electives.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
ok. so let's say that i don't make the cut for Bpsych, so i choose Bscipsych instead. How much harder would it be for me to become a registered psychologist in this course, than in the actually Bpsych course? Or is it practically the same 'difficulty'?

ok, from what i have gathered so far, for Bpsych i just have to do my bachelor degree, then i can go straight into practical stuff, and become a psychologist, right? And with combined psych degrees, i have to do my bachelor, then do a masters/honours to become a psychologist? is that right-ish?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ssejamafone:

BPsych [4 yrs]= BSc (psych) [3 yrs] + BSc(Hons)(Psych)[1 yr]

basically the BPsych guarantees u entry to the honours program if u stay above 60(?) for ure WAM.. looks fancier..
[if u score below the 60 u get knocked into the BA or BSc in psych programs at most unis]

Psychologist = 2 yrs of postgraduate degrees + Bpsych or Eqv.. according to the APA.

this is as simple as i can make it :)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Something to keep in mind, though, is that you may have the option to change your degree title on your graduation certificate from BAPsych/BScPsych to straight BPsych, if you marks are high enough in Honours and your uni allows it.

As others have said, doing a BA or BSc doesnt make any difference in the long run, you just have to make sure you do the same units as the BPsych students (which are electives for you, but cores for them). You have to compete against them for Honours places, but that said, those in BPsych aren't any 'smarter'.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
ari89 said:
Isn't it any 4 year psych course and either 2 years of supervised training or 2 year postgrad (ie. masters) to be fully recognised?
exactly right. you do not need to do honors in your fourth year, unless you want to go to into the research field, or want to because you are able to.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
As a fourth year, you can either do Honours or a Post Grad Diploma. It is the same course, you take the same classes together. The only benefit of Honours over a Post Grad is to gain more 'points' in the point system which is used for entry to Clinical, Neuro, and other competitive Masters courses. Additionally, doing a Masters course gives you a higher qualification, allowing you to practise as a registered psych in Australia, whereas pure supervision only allows you to practise in NSW.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
As a fourth year, you can either do Honours or a Post Grad Diploma. It is the same course, you take the same classes together. The only benefit of Honours over a Post Grad is to gain more 'points' in the point system which is used for entry to Clinical, Neuro, and other competitive Masters courses. Additionally, doing a Masters course gives you a higher qualification, allowing you to practise as a registered psych in Australia, whereas pure supervision only allows you to practise in NSW.
really? 0.o I was thinking of doing my bachelor, going on to my honours (if i'm good enough) and then doing the 2 years of supervision.... but... so, that'll only allow me to practise in NSW, eh? hmmm..... I guess, that wouldn't be too bad... but kinda restrictive.... hmm....

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
It is pretty restrictive, unless you want to live in NSW the rest of your life. There isnt a mutual recognition system set up either between the states.

Another thing to think about is that the APS have been talking about removing the supervision option totally, and only allowing Masters/Doctorate/PhD to be done to fulfil psych registration.

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
It is pretty restrictive, unless you want to live in NSW the rest of your life. There isnt a mutual recognition system set up either between the states.

Another thing to think about is that the APS have been talking about removing the supervision option totally, and only allowing Masters/Doctorate/PhD to be done to fulfil psych registration.
oh man... i hope they do that after i get into uni, coz that would so stuff up my plans.... ahwell, at least if they force us to do it, then in the end i can practise wherever i want. :)

jeez, why does my year always have to be the guinea pig year??? :mad1:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)