• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Difference between bscience + b sci/b arts (1 Viewer)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Upon reading densuki's thread in the UNSW science subforum, I would like to ask for tad bit of clarification.

If I do bscience with semester 1 courses:

bios1201, chem1031, japn1000, psyc1001

& semester 2 courses:

Bios1101, chem1041, japn1001, psyc1001, math1041 [Might drop one course]

What's the main difference, if I do the exact same courses for bscience/b arts? [Like other than bscience/b arts having a higher uai]

Or is it, if I do bscience/ b arts, can I do even more courses per session? Cos right now in my bscience semester 2, I can't seem to add my chem1041 stating that there's an error --> Maximum session or something.

gman03

HSC
Doing bscience/ b arts will not allow you to do more courses per semester, but do more courses for your degree. Generally you need to do a few more subjects (which results in an extra one or two years),

Doing bscience/ b arts allows you to do arts courses for your degree, whereas in bscience you don't.

In short: you complete your degree in longer time at the same pace.

Rekkusu

HSC
Ahh ok, thanks alot!! I feel so bad asking you so many questions..but uh...do you how many courses [max] can I take per session/semester?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Actually, you can do Arts unit in B Science, as a MINOR.

The only difference is B Sc/BA is 4 year, allow you to do 1 year extra worth of courses. B Sc is 3 years.

In both degrees, you cannot do more than 24 uoc per session (that's why you can't add one of your S2 subjects.

Last edited:

Rekkusu

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Actually, you can do Arts unit in B Science, as a major.

The only difference is B Sc/BA is 4 year, allow you to do 1 year extra worth of courses. B Sc is 3 years.

In both degrees, you cannot do more than 24 uoc per session (that's why you can't add one of your S2 subjects.
Ah ok =p though I might try to focus upon medical immun & micro and japn studies :p

Darn haha, yeah I was exceeded the s2 by like 6 uocs, since I had to squeeze in Math into it, though hopefully I'll be able to place psychology or japn back in later on, probably in my 2nd year.

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
hi! um, i think the difference will be that
b sci/arts students come out with double majors
ie. b science major in medical immun and b arts major in jap studies
bsci students come out with b science major in medical immun MINOR in jap studies
i think.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
yeah, you can't do an arts major in a plain science degree. you can do it as a minor, but if you want a major in both, you'll have to do science/arts.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
babydoll_ said:
yeah, you can't do an arts major in a plain science degree. you can do it as a minor, but if you want a major in both, you'll have to do science/arts.[/QUOTE

]Yep, sorry, that was what I meant to say. You can minor in Arts in B Sc.

ellie*

HSC
If you decide to do BSci/BArts you come out with two separate degrees and because you combine them it only takes 4 years insteaf of 6 (if you did them separately at different times). Also, in the double degree you don't have to do gen-eds, I guess they figure you're well rounded enough if you're doing both. The reason why you can complete both degrees in such a short time is that they sorta only make you do the absolutely essential subjects.

There's just one thing you need to be aware of with BSci/Arts and that is that you can major in psyc ONLY in your arts degree, not your science degree. I don't think that applies to you really, but it's a good thing to know.

Cheers,
Ellie

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
BScience/BArts is a full-time 4 year program, and 192UOC is required, no geneds needed. In this program, you will need to complete 84UOC in science, 84UOC in arts and the remaining 24UOC can come from either science or arts(consider them electives).

ellie*: I am not aware of the rule that you can major in psychology only in your arts degree. Can you please provide evidence? I mean, I have the handbook right here infront of me(as thick as a textbook), and nowhere does it say that. Pscyhology falls under Table A of the 3970 BSci program, and thus is a legitimate major in the BSci/BArts degree (under the science component).

Please note philosophy & history majors cannot be taken as a major in science component, only in arts.

As for the difference between the two programs, its been mentioned above. You can't overload in first year. You might be able to get an exemption from undertaking BIOS1011.

ellie*

HSC
Hi Timmy,
I was having trouble enrolling last year and had to contact the Arts faculty to get some help (geniuses that they are), and it was stressed to me then that I couldn't do Psyc as my Science major in the combined degree.
I never really thought about it because I didn't plan to do a psyc major anyway. Who knows, maybe they've changed the rules? Or perhaps I was misinformed, who can tell these days...
Now I'm thinking about it, I can't remember the exact details- perhaps it was that I couldn't do it as my ARTS major, whatever the rule was it turned me off doing psyc completely.

So all I would say is there are a number of restrictions placed on combined degrees (all of them, not just Sci/Arts) and it's worth checking it out with the relevant faculty/school office so that you don't screw up your major plan.

Cheers,
ellie

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)