Difference between Casion FX-82ES and FX-82AU ?? (1 Viewer)

jamesfirst

HSC
What's the difference???

I lost my calculator and I have to buy a new one and ES is cheaper.

I go to UNSW so I don't know which calculators are forbidden. what's the difference between these two calculators ?

jamesfirst

HSC
looks like both of them are approved :)

but are there any differences between them in terms of functionality ?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
No idea- they aren't even listed on the Casio website anymore. If it were me, I'd just go with whatever is cheaper. I doubt there are any new features out there which would really change the value or usability of a calculator for students. The last time there was much of a change was when Casio introduced the ability to display fractions as fractions as opposed to using the _| to indicate it was a fraction. Sure it's nice but doesn't really change much.

jamesfirst

HSC
fx-82ES plus is the one i bought but it's not on the list (only fx-82ES)

it shouldn't matter too much right ?

HSC
Uni Grad
fml my calculator aint approved :/

Oh well, looks like I need to buy an approved one some time =_=

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
fml my calculator aint approved :/

Oh well, looks like I need to buy an approved one some time =_=
Ask at the maths office, maybe they'll approve it anyway. You just need the sticker

matschway

HSC
The ES gives answers in exact form, whereas the AU only finds a decimal estimate

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The ES gives answers in exact form, whereas the AU only finds a decimal estimate
I'm impressed someone on here knew that. That being said with the AU which I used before, I think it only displays the answer in decimal but the calculate still knows the exact number. I used to cheat when unsure by multiplying it by the denominator I was expecting to see if it became a whole number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shine

HSC
Hi,

I have used my friends FX-82AU plus calculator and is considering buying a new 1 for myself. But I found FX82-ES plus much cheaper so I'm confused which 1 to buy. What is the actual difference between the 2? is there any major difference?

Do you mean to say ES shows the answers only in fraction form and not in decimal form?

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
on the AU you have to press the S<->D button for a perfect fraction
While on the ES it gives it to you in fraction form regardless. For decimal, press the S <-> D button.

Also, the ES provides roots (type root(8)) in, and it gives you 2root(2).
Does surd conjugates and shit too.
It has the logₐb button, where you can put whatever value you want.
One more thing, if you press mode on the ES, there's option 3 as "table" which gives you a table of value for a curve you specify.

The AU lacks all this.

The ES is NOT approved by the board of studies. but you go to UNSW, which I have no idea about.

Note:
AU - Australian Model
ES - European or chinese model ahahhahaha

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
There's another model, fx991es, which is the American market 82es. The AU has had functionality disabled for use in the HSC.

If you are allowed to use them I'd reccomend one over an 82au if you need to buy a new calculator.

The 991es and I assume the 82es also have complex number functions so a lot of my friends in elec eng have bought them or modified their 82aus. (You can short out something and get the extra functionality but screw up some of the button mappings)

Hmm just read first page, seems like 991es and 82es are different. But I'm still pretty sure there is an Asian market fx calc with identical features to the 991es but a different model number.

Last edited:

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
fx-991ES Plus is beast af. I never knew uni's had approved calculator lists too :/...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)