Difference between computing/higher computing for employer? (1 Viewer)

Dota55

HSC
Currently doing eletrical engineering, and i was wondering...

Let's say we're comparing two potential employeees. If one had gotten a distinction in COMP 1911 (Computing), and another a pass in COMP 1917 (Higher Computing), would the fact that the second person did 1917 and passed have any influence on an employer when choosing someone to employ? Let's say that they're both applying for a job as an electrical engineer, and there's only one job available.

Last edited:

LordPc

HSC
unless the employer actually knows about comp1917 and comp1911 and the differences between the two, I doubt it would make a big difference.

especially for an elec eng job, where computing isnt the main focus

(but my inkling would be that they would just assume computing1911 is the only computing course offered, hence it is the highest computing course offered, hence a DN in the highest computing course offered is quite good. so the DN would look better)

_santa

HSC
Quote Richard Buckland, magical teacher:
"When you walk in a job interview, they wouldn't spare a glance at your WAM, let alone what you got for task 2 in COMP1917 back then in 2008"

and he apologized on behalf of educators for the HSC :D

in short, it doesn't matter. Pick whatever you please.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Currently doing eletrical engineering, and i was wondering...

Let's say we're comparing two potential employeees. If one had gotten a distinction in COMP 1911 (Computing), and another a pass in COMP 1917 (Higher Computing), would the fact that the second person did 1917 and passed have any influence on an employer when choosing someone to employ? Let's say that they're both applying for a job as an electrical engineer, and there's only one job available.
I know this is an oldish topic but...the Distinction in normal would be much, much better. It's pointless doing a higher subject if youre just going to scrape a pass, especially considering a lot of them tend to scale up marks a bit so you really did worse than your final grade.

In terms of employers..if youre applying for say a graduate program (one of the more common ways to get a job after graduating), most applications want you to either upload an academic transcript or physically enter every subject youve taken and the result. They then have a script that would just auto reject anyone whose marks (or WAM or non failed subjects) are lower than a predetermined amount. Theres no consideration of what subject you took, whether it was higher or normal or whether its even related to the area youre applying to.

_santa said:
Quote Richard Buckland, magical teacher:
"When you walk in a job interview, they wouldn't spare a glance at your WAM, let alone what you got for task 2 in COMP1917 back then in 2008"
I disagree slightly, as I said above they will often auto reject your app without reading it if youre WAM isnt above a specified amount (usually credit, so 65+). When youre receiving hundreds or thousands of apps the logical first way to cull the numbers is through WAM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)